Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

How do you experience flying at night with the Rift S ?

Not great. Obviously the blacks are not 100% black (but neither were on CV1 without tweaking), but it's also an issue with DCS. Other sims look better at night.

Anyway, since the mura is gone and the god rays have been greatly reduced, it's still better for night flying than CV1.

incorrect at worst. To say something is unusable when it isn't is unhelpful and deceptive.

I didn't wrote CV1 was unusable, so you can get off your high horse and start reading what you quote, before making an argument next time.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not great. Obviously the blacks are not 100% black (but neither were on CV1 without tweaking), but it's also an issue with DCS. Other sims look better at night.

Anyway, since the mura is gone and the god rays have been greatly reduced, it's still better for night flying than CV1.

I didn't wrote CV1 was unusable, so you can get off your high horse and start reading what you quote, before making an argument next time.

Barely useable and unusable are different in what way exactly? It seems a very small step from one to the other. Split hairs if you wish, but the fact remains that the CV1 was far superior to any other interface with DCS World, and just because it was lacking in some small areas doesn't detract from that.

If you want to be taken seriously, think carefully when you state something is barely useable when it was good enough to replace any other interface in the opinion of many here.

Barely useable and unusable are different in what way exactly?

In a way that you can use one, and you can't use the other.

Heck, you can even enjoy using it.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Barely useable and unusable are different in what way exactly? It seems a very small step from one to the other. Split hairs if you wish, but the fact remains that the CV1 was far superior to any other interface with DCS World, and just because it was lacking in some small areas doesn't detract from that.

If you want to be taken seriously, think carefully when you state something is barely useable when it was good enough to replace any other interface in the opinion of many here.

Dude, it's still his opinion. Just respect it and move on.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I'm surprised I haven't seen anything here about turning Rift S off , unless I missed it. The white light stays on. I read somewhere it can be done by Task Manager/Services/OVR Service/Stop. Isn't their an easier way?

Asus ROG Z390, I9 9900K , 32 GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 2080 Ti , Win10 64, Rift CV1 & S VR

In a way that you can use one, and you can't use the other.

Heck, you can even enjoy using it.

So barely useable was accurate in your opinion? I find that attitude very questionable, hence my remarks. Or is it just that you personally can't get on with it where others have no hesitation in saying VR is the only route to go?

I suspect it may be the latter, which is not what the question was asking. People want well informed, unbiased, realistic assessment, not personal grouches. If you cannot achieve that, it might be better to just say nothing.

Split hairs all you might, your opinion is without merit unless it is based on sound thinking, and clearly, it wasn't, as many of us will tell you.

If you had given a balanced response, do you think I'd have said anything at all?

I used the Rift CV1 for 3 years when I had the choice of that, a Track IR Pro, or 3 screens. So your views are clearly unrepresentative at best, and utterly incorrect at worst. To say something is unusable when it isn't is unhelpful and deceptive. How can you expect people to take your opinions seriously when you are so dismissive?

The CV1 was a compromise, absolutely. Small text was difficult to read, yes. But then again, so is trying to pretend to fly combat sorties from the comfort of your spare room. Utterly impossible in fact if we are to take your opinions seriously.

Point out shortcomings, but avoid unreasonable and sweeping statements that you must know to be wrong, please!

CV1 was unusable (in DCS) gimmick, due to bad fidelity of the picture. Rift-S is usable, just. It's no replacement for good monitor and Track IR, yet. I've flown for over 10 hours yesterday in S, but today I didn't feel like it, so I went back to Track IR, guess what, it's still better, but it's no longer absolutely crushing VR in terms of fidelity.

So there is two of us with unrepresentative views (or maybe with no need to self-justify our purchases or falling with love with cheap gaming hardware and defending it on the forums), I guess.

Maybe Index will be better or Reverb, who knows. When they are out, I'll tell you, I'll have all of them as soon as they are released.

Consumer VR is advancing at snail pace and while Rift-S (and even more so Quest) are step forward, it's far from fidelity and convenience of conventional monitor. Rift-S is still good upgrade from CV1 I'd recommend. That doesn't make it automatically perfect.

Edited by mdee

I'm surprised I haven't seen anything here about turning Rift S off , unless I missed it. The white light stays on. I read somewhere it can be done by Task Manager/Services/OVR Service/Stop. Isn't their an easier way?

Download Oculus Tray Tool, in "Service" settings there is an option to shut Oculus service down on exit of the tool.

Easiest is what I do.

First have OTT installed and do NOT launch the Oculus service on startup.

Second, in the Windows Services app, set the OVR service to manual.

Third, have a USB extension cord go from the Oculus at the back of the computer to a hub within your reach.

Lastly, unplug it when not in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

SO is it worth upgrading from the Rift to S?

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

If you don't mind the audio situation, yes. I am happy I upgraded. Clarity and sharpness is much better. Much less screen door effect, and severely reduced god rays. At 1.0 PD, the Rift S looks faaaaar better than the CV1 at 1.5 PD.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

Definitely. If you are fussy about audio (btw having it in a strap has a lot of advantages in many situations), just buy a pair of good in ear phones or wait a bit for Oculus to come up with audio add-on.

Heck I tried but could never go back to monitor gaming after getting my Rift in Jan 2017.

Just could not do it. And now with the Rift S, not even tempted to try lol.

But everyone's expereinces can be viewed differently, as how one likes or dislikes VR is a very subjective thing to the individual.

No right or wrong answer on this one.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

IMHO definitely yes.

I very reluctantly ordered the Rift S, in fact after specs were revealed I was not going to at all.

Then I saw Wags post on it, and then started hearing about the delays with the other devices that were announced.

After receiving my Rift S on Tuesday, man was I surprised - very pleasantly.

I had already ordered some Klipsch R6 II earbuds to use with it, so was prepared for the audio out the chute.

I am loving my Rift S!

Better image clarity, with no big cost in performance.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have my Rift plugged into a non-powered USB 3.0 hub x 4, the USB port the HUB is connected to is powered. Each port has an on/off switch, works perfectly. I also have my HOTAS plugged into the HUB.

Download Oculus Tray Tool, in "Service" settings there is an option to shut Oculus service down on exit of the tool.

THanks mdee

Asus ROG Z390, I9 9900K , 32 GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 2080 Ti , Win10 64, Rift CV1 & S VR

CV1 was unusable (in DCS) gimmick, due to bad fidelity of the picture. Rift-S is usable, just. It's no replacement for good monitor and Track IR, yet. I've flown for over 10 hours yesterday in S, but today I didn't feel like it, so I went back to Track IR, guess what, it's still better, but it's no longer absolutely crushing VR in terms of fidelity.

So there is two of us with unrepresentative views (or maybe with no need to self-justify our purchases or falling with love with cheap gaming hardware and defending it on the forums), I guess.

Maybe Index will be better or Reverb, who knows. When they are out, I'll tell you, I'll have all of them as soon as they are released.

Consumer VR is advancing at snail pace and while Rift-S (and even more so Quest) are step forward, it's far from fidelity and convenience of conventional monitor. Rift-S is still good upgrade from CV1 I'd recommend. That doesn't make it automatically perfect.

Opinions vary, CV1 was usable by me. Dont recall anyone saying it is perfect. If you want to be immersed in the world, its a different thing vs the 2d world on the flat. In that respect, its night and day.

So what ever floats ones boat. Immersive world then VR. 2D eye candy, yeah the flat screen gives you that.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Ok I guess I can drop the hammer on ordering one soon. Ill figure out an audio solution anyways, I need a new headset with built in mic.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Spent again one hour with the S tonight and definitely, the more I use it, the more I love it.

My Rift CV1 will now get back to its box.

I'm now curious to see how the Index will work...

On paper, it looks like the main competitor of the Rift S and might be slightly better. Future will tell.

But the Reverb is probably a no go for demanding games like DCS. First, because the significantly higher resolution will have a performance cost. Then because the Rift S just prove that not only resolution matters. Display type and lens quality have a huge impact. Finally, Reverb is more business oriented, while Index is clearly made for gamers. Like Oculus, Valve guys know probably what they're doing.

Some of the choice made by Oculus are clever. Their goal was to be good enough while at the same time the lowest price of the new headset.

The minimal requirement remains the same with GTX 1060 minimum while the Reverb require a GTX 1080.

But don't fool yourself, from the first reports we have seen (especially MRTV), the Reverb will deliver and will have better image clarity.

There are two 2160 x 2160 full RGB LCD panels, like the Rift S.

The Odyssey +, despite 1600p vertical resolution still use OLED type display with pentile matrix. So the Rift S has higher sub-pixel count and better fill factor.

The Samsung filter may decrease the SDE, but it won't improve clarity over a 1440p RGB LCD.

The controllers are better on the Rift S, but it's no factor for flight simulators and the audio solution seems better on the Reverb.

You can even unscrew the ears, and the headset doesn't seem to prevent the use of conventional headphones contrary to the halo design of the Rift S.

Rift S is good for a majority of people. If one have high performance computer, I think the Reverb will deliver even more.

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Definitely, unless your IPD is way outside "the norm". In terms of bang-for-the-buck it's probably the most efficient upgrade you can make.

That doesn't mean other upcoming headsets are not worth considering, they offer even better specs, but at higher price and system requirements. And more waiting of course.

So barely useable was accurate in your opinion? I find that attitude very questionable, hence my remarks. Or is it just that you personally can't get on with it where others have no hesitation in saying VR is the only route to go?

(...)

You're running an imaginary argument over something that only you think I meant when I said that CV1 was barely usable. You can stop now, people are already getting tired of it. And VR future is not the topic of this thread.

Edited by some1

I went and bought a Logitech G432 headset, because I don't like in-ear earphones that much. They're 7.1 and the sound is good. However, it is a nuisance getting it over the halo design.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

I went and bought a Logitech G432 headset, because I don't like in-ear earphones that much. They're 7.1 and the sound is good. However, it is a nuisance getting it over the halo design.
Yea I have three g933 and it's also really clunky so there's no way I'd be comfortable wearing it over the headset.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Heck I tried but could never go back to monitor gaming after getting my Rift in Jan 2017.

Just could not do it. And now with the Rift S, not even tempted to try lol.

But everyone's expereinces can be viewed differently, as how one likes or dislikes VR is a very subjective thing to the individual.

No right or wrong answer on this one.

Yeah, this. For me we are one gen away from something really usable which will (for me) shift the preference towards VR.

I'll see how Reverb works out.

Again, Rift-S is definitely worthy upgrade from CV1, do it! :)

Too bad the CV1 remote is not compatible at this time. I'll never use my controllers so hopefully Oculus will make the remote work some time soon.

Dropped the hammer. Now, best question of the day: can the CV1 lenses inserts fit on the Rift S? Being blind as a bat here and I have prescription lenses for mine...think they will fit?

My wallpaper and skins