Can't Get Above 160 Knots After Update...

Hello Everyone,

Before the update I was able to get off Super Carrier cat-shots with no problem and get to 200 knots with no problem. Now after a launch I flop around at 160 knots and continue spiraling down to 100 knots before crashing into the water even at full burners. Anyone else experiencing this or have any suggestions? Not sure why things have changed so. I've checked my throttle settings and all seems to be as before. Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers!

- CraigNT

Hello Everyone,

Before the update I was able to get off Super Carrier cat-shots with no problem and get to 200 knots with no problem. Now after a launch I flop around at 160 knots and continue spiraling down to 100 knots before crashing into the water even at full burners. Anyone else experiencing this or have any suggestions? Not sure why things have changed so. I've checked my throttle settings and all seems to be as before. Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers!

- CraigNT

You sure you are actually in afterburner (checked F2 view or fuel flow of 250+)? Or maybe too heavy or raising flaps too soon?

Hello Everyone,

Cheers!

- CraigNT

Did you check your Controls / Axis command / Throttle axis (or left and right throttle if you have both), if the white feedback lines at the bottom of the text box goes from one end to the other full extent, if you throw your physical throttles up and down to full extent?

Check the temperature that you have the mission set to. There used to be(may have come back) a bug where that would happen off the CAT when the temp was too cold on the map. That's just my first guess based off what you described. I haven't tested anything.

And didn't I hear somewhere that real-life cat pilots stand on the brakes, then hit the afterburners and release them when the burners are glowing red hot?

I may be wrong but I thought that procedure was to never use the afterburners during take-off in the Tomcat.

And didn't I hear somewhere that real-life cat pilots stand on the brakes, then hit the afterburners and release them when the burners are glowing red hot?

They don’t use brakes at all once they’re hooked up to the cat.

I may be wrong but I thought that procedure was to never use the afterburners during take-off in the Tomcat.

Yes, for the B/D models with the GE engine. The higher thrust of the GE engine would cause issues of asymmetric thrust if they lost an engine during takeoff or launch.

The A model, AB was used regularly.

Hello Everyone,

Cheers!

- CraigNT

Did you set your T/O trim properly?

Now after a launch I flop around at 160 knots and continue spiraling down to 100 knots before crashing into the water even at full burners.

I haven't seen this particular issue on the Supercarrier.

The most common reason (for excessive drag/low speed) is Game Mode being set in

• DCS > Options > Gameplay

(both options sometimes reset to default after an update)

I've also seen a similar issue in an old mission that was fixed after resaving the mission in the ME.

YMMV.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Hello Everybody,

Thanks for all your good advice. So far, I’ve calibrated my throttle (it works fine for other aircraft). I have the T/O trim set. I look at the external view and the afterburners are engaged. One thing I just noticed is that my nozzle (NOZ) setting does not get any larger than 50% in full afterburner. When I fly in the Training mission “Cold and Dark” and follow the tutorial I’m able to get 100% on the NOZ setting in full afterburner and have no issues on the climb-out after take off. When I create a custom cold and dark mission and follow the startup steps completely I can only get 50% on the NOZ reading on my take off. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

- CraigNT55

Hello Everyone,

Ramsay was correct, the Game Mode changed and when I set it back to my desired settings the excessive drag situation ceased! Thanks so much for all the advice from this great flight sim community!

Cheers!

- CraigNT55

For some reason, some DCS players either have 'A' fantasy love or just don't care. Look at most of the screenshots! F-14B's in burner off the cat. It's hilarious.

Sorry, saw you mention the Tomcat and had to chime in. Lol

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

You’re right JackJack! In fact the best part in the flight ops intro scenes of the movie “Top Gun” is the Tomcat’s burners flaming against the Jet Blast Deflectors right before launch!

Cheers,

- CraigNT55

GenuineWarmheartedBergerpicard-small.gif

Edited by craignt
Corrected

You’re right JackJack! In fact the best part in the flight ops intro scenes of the movie “Top Gun” is the Tomcat’s burners flaming against the Jet Blast Deflectors right before launch!

Cheers,

- CraigNT55

GenuineWarmheartedBergerpicard-small.gif

Ha, I guess. As a person that has stood behind a JBD IRL while the A/C is at full burner on the cat; I can tell you it's like you are in hell. Very hot and uncomfortable! Lol

Stay safe

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Everyone,

Cheers!

- CraigNT

hello, I have exactly the same problem as you n impossible to perform a correct catapult, even with a perfect adjustment of the trim, a catapult procedure carried out perfectly, a landing gear retracted, auto or retracted flaps, in post combustion, the speed F18 drops to 120 k and oops .... crash !! very frustrating!:(

MSI Z490 gaming Plus, I9 10900K, RTX 2080Ti inno3D, 64 Go GSKILL 3200 ,Pimax 5k+ ,Hotas Warthog Thrustmaster , rudder Thrust ,ssd ultimate 1to M2, 4 Hd

hello, in the simu, in catapulting, all the planes in visual which take off around you have the active post combustion after their catapulting, and are in ascending climb, we not with this bug, have crashes after a few moments .. .lol, on Dcs when the DCS Openbeta version ..... the post combu does not even start:megalol:

MSI Z490 gaming Plus, I9 10900K, RTX 2080Ti inno3D, 64 Go GSKILL 3200 ,Pimax 5k+ ,Hotas Warthog Thrustmaster , rudder Thrust ,ssd ultimate 1to M2, 4 Hd

Did you check your Controls / Axis command / Throttle axis (or left and right throttle if you have both), if the white feedback lines at the bottom of the text box goes from one end to the other full extent, if you throw your physical throttles up and down to full extent?

I who have exactly the same problem as Craignt, after what seems to me a bug, I first checked all the axes of my hotas warthog Thrusmaster, everything is OK, however I noted that all the keys assigned to the F18 in simu mod, on DCS open beta did not work, I wonder at the level of the commands if there is not a conflict with the simplified flight commands which are reduced to their simplest expression !!