How is fingerlift supposed to work?

Larkis

For my understanding the fingerlift button is the barrier between milpower and afterburner and betwenn flight/ground idle.

Wenn go full throttle i get milpower, pressing fingerlift will start afterburner.

Wenn landing on a field i take throttle to zero and go to flight idle. Using fingerlift will give ground idle.

Thats my understanding. But it dont seem to work. When i move to 100% throttle i allways get afterburner (for example on carrierstart). And when i land on the field and move throttle to zero and press fingerlift nothing happens.

The button seems to be correct, i see the fingerlift moving.

Is there something i missing? Btw i fly in sim mode.

First, check finger lift option in Hornet section of the options window.

Finger lifts must be up before you move throttles and not after as you described.

Also, afterburner finger lift is needed when cat shot and not when land take-off in real jet (I.E. option Afterburner detent = Only carrier), so the option is there to switch between realistic and other settings. Check OPTIONS > SPECIAL >F/A-18C

As for how do finger lifts work:

1. FL on the front of each throttle must be raised to place the throttles OFF.

2. With weight on the wheels, launch bar retracted and the arresting hook UP or with weight off the wheels, afterburner operation is initiated by advancing the throttles through the MIL detent gates into MAX.

3. On the ground, an afterburner lockout system helps guard against inadvertent afterburner selection.

4. With weight on the wheels and launch bar extended OR the arresting hook DOWN, the afterburner lockout extends and the finger lifts must be raised or a force of approximately 32 pounds must be applied before the throttles can be moved to MAX.

Edited by Gierasimov
details added
  • Thanks 1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

• 2 months later...

Bit confused.

1) Doesn't seem to be implemented in DCS - is this correct? I cannot get my throttle to go into cutoff by lifting the finger lifts and going to minimum HOTAS throttle.

2) & 3) Seem to conflict with each other. 2) says lock out fingers should not stop advancement into AB and 3) Says it should. Are you just saying we may want to choose the option that keeps the lockout active all the time? Or is this how it really works?

4) Makes sense, wouldn't want to mistakenly go into AB on a flight deck.

Also, do you have your HOTAS thrust curve set up linearly? I struggle with throttle control on the F18.

Bit confused.

1) Doesn't seem to be implemented in DCS - is this correct? I cannot get my throttle to go into cutoff by lifting the finger lifts and going to minimum HOTAS throttle.

2) & 3) Seem to conflict with each other. 2) says lock out fingers should not stop advancement into AB and 3) Says it should. Are you just saying we may want to choose the option that keeps the lockout active all the time? Or is this how it really works?

4) Makes sense, wouldn't want to mistakenly go into AB on a flight deck.

Also, do you have your HOTAS thrust curve set up linearly? I struggle with throttle control on the F18.

What throttles do you use? If Wartog HOTAS, you need to bind the cutoff/idle to each, the left and right throttle levers. Otherwise, throttles will not be able to place into cutoff.

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria