HOTAS Cougar software on a modern Windows

Rudel_chw

The "cleansweep" is some of a last road to go down to to try.

If there is no microstick axis input in the CCP while doing calibration, big chance is that the microstick is fried (i would have hopen for a bit of response there).

For the CCP to pick up the microstick axis while calibrating, you don't even need to have the axis swapped out with the rudder or toebrakes.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

The "cleansweep" is some of a last road to go down to to try.

If there is no microstick axis input in the CCP while doing calibration, big chance is that the microstick is fried (i would have hopen for a bit of response there).

For the CCP to pick up the microstick axis while calibrating, you don't even need to have the axis swapped out with the rudder or toebrakes.

Actually I have been using the VHF/UHF 4 way radio control/T2-T6 on the front side of the throttle for TDC left/right/up/down. Then when I want to lock target I use the button 29 for the radar cursor.

Works just the same. I haven't really had a need for all of the UHF/VHF controls as of yet so I'll figure something out then.

I've been looking at the X-Keys Programmable keyboards to mount in front of me instead of the regular keyboard. I can have all of the controls and keyboard macros in one button right in front of me.

They also have clear key board covers for labels and blanks so you can label keys and section off certain parts of the keypad.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092SJ8YU/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?pd_rd_i=B003MB780E&pd_rd_w=A5HXb&pf_rd_p=48d372c1-f7e1-4b8b-9d02-4bd86f5158c5&pd_rd_wg=ybsMx&pf_rd_r=TATG382YESAQ27MJBPH0&pd_rd_r=51369f4b-a5dd-4126-b0aa-42ea5abe2a57&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExTUtUWFVJV1NJTjVHJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjgyODQzMUhaRkYzSllXMUFQTiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTU0NDQ5MjFUV0FJN0Y4UVRHNCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092SGI0C/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?pd_rd_i=B003MB780E&pd_rd_w=A5HXb&pf_rd_p=48d372c1-f7e1-4b8b-9d02-4bd86f5158c5&pd_rd_wg=ybsMx&pf_rd_r=TATG382YESAQ27MJBPH0&pd_rd_r=51369f4b-a5dd-4126-b0aa-42ea5abe2a57&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExTUtUWFVJV1NJTjVHJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjgyODQzMUhaRkYzSllXMUFQTiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTU0NDQ5MjFUV0FJN0Y4UVRHNCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

They look nice, but over 200 dollars plus shipping (and custom taxes on my case) .. you could as well replace the Cougar with a new Warthog (assuming you can get another 200-250 dollars for your used Cougar)

:noexpression:

Warthog sets over here are going around $500. US if you can even find one.

Plus I've looked at the different types of toggles, dials, and switches they have on it.

Hate when they name a switch for you because it's what's on a certain aircraft.

At least the Virpil Throttle base doesn't tell what it should be used for.

Even those are pricey. $400 just for a throttle base.

I was looking at the Koolertron as well for half the price of the X-Keys but you can't do a whole lot with naming or labeling the keys.

The X-Keys gives me twice as many keys on the same panel plus they have replacement clear plastic keys that you can drop labels into. I also like where you can block out a row of keys to separate keys by groups.

I want to get it to the point where I never have to look at an ordinary keyboard when flying trying to do multi-key combinations to operate something on your plane while your trying to fly is ridiculous.

Warthog sets over here are going around $500. US if you can even find one.

Yes unfortunately, after the CoVid debacle it seems that every pc component is getting more exoensive :(

I want to get it to the point where I never have to look at an ordinary keyboard when flying trying to do multi-key combinations to operate something on your plane while your trying to fly is ridiculous.

I agree, I use the mouse to operate most of the aircraft systems, and on the Cougar I place as much as I can, for example on the F-16, I have the following:

DCS_F-16C_Rudel.jpg

I use the keyboard very little, for example I use the NumPad to input digits on the UFC :thumbup:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

DCS_F-16C_Rudel.jpg

I use the keyboard very little, for example I use the NumPad to input digits on the UFC :thumbup:

What are you using when using the alternate (Red) controls in red shown?

I picked up a seperate Numpad the other day at an office supply and attached to my control dash to use for the same thing. Minimal cost and very small. Takes up no room at all.

Had some extra brackets that I was looking to use that worked out perfect.

Mounted it on the vertical panel left side of flight sim above throttle.

Flight Sim picture is before I picked up numpad.

Excuse the mess. This is my out of town rental house/man cave. I built this thing in a a couple of hours in the rental house garage using some 1/2" MDF and 3" PVC legs. Also used a bunch of misc. brackets left over from work.

Wife has no say in this domain!!! (Unless she comes to visit...LOL.):D

I was already told I'm not allowed to bring this home..except the chair.

NumPad.thumb.jpg.3c472c8e965596af60128214c6995388.jpg

2054357510_FlightSimSetup.thumb.jpg.dd1d79a5edcb7bdf04795f4e80cbd40f.jpg

What are you using when using the alternate (Red) controls in red shown?

S3 button acting as a shift layer (bottom right in the layout) giving your buttons another set of actions.

You can also have another 3 layers (up/middle/down) with the T7/T8 on the throttle and then combined with S3 giving you a total of 6 settings per button.

1: T7/T8 up + S3

2: T7/T8 up without S3

3: T7/T8 middle + S3

4: T7/T8 middle without S3 (standard)

5: T7/T8 down + S3

6: T7/T8 down without S3

You can also program a keycombo for a special action like Eduardo has done for ejecting S4+S3+TG2 = Eject Sequence.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

S3 button acting as a shift layer (bottom right in the layout) giving your buttons another set of actions.

You can also have another 3 layers (up/middle/down) with the T7/T8 on the throttle and then combined with S3 giving you a total of 6 settings per button.

1: T7/T8 up + S3

2: T7/T8 up without S3

3: T7/T8 middle + S3

4: T7/T8 middle without S3 (standard)

5: T7/T8 down + S3

6: T7/T8 down without S3

You can also program a keycombo for a special action like Eduardo has done for ejecting S4+S3+TG2 = Eject Sequence.

Damn!! That's a lot of muscle memory!

Trying to remember 29 different buttons with 3 different settings for each.

All while 20mm shells are whizzing past your canopy..lol.

TOPGUN here I come.

I do like using the T7 & T8 option as opposed to have to hold in the S3 button the whole time.

I like to use the S3 for toggling the different flight views. Been doing that for years.

The S4 is always my check six control.

Edited by msmith301

That is correct ... on my first DCS profiles I commited the mistake of putting 6 functions on each switch and quickly found out that I couldnt remember all of them.

So currently I assign two functions to each button as a maximum, and the T7-T8 switch (which is the only 3-way switch the Cougar has) is used for any function that can really benefit from 3 positions. For example, on the A-4E I use it for the Flap lever, that has three positions in game (retract, neutral, extend).

However, I do take advantage of the fact that the Cougar can assign a function on the press of a button, and a different function on its release, for example for speedbrakes and weapon switch covers or locks.

Other things I can do in Foxy, is to put several consecutive actions on a single button, for example on the MiG-21 I can retract the landing gear and then place it on neutral and put its lock on, with a single button press. And the same button shifted with S3 performs the reverse operation.

:)

That is correct ... on my first DCS profiles I commited the mistake of putting 6 functions on each switch and quickly found out that I couldnt remember all of them.

So currently I assign two functions to each button as a maximum, and the T7-T8 switch (which is the only 3-way switch the Cougar has) is used for any function that can really benefit from 3 positions. For example, on the A-4E I use it for the Flap lever, that has three positions in game (retract, neutral, extend).

:)

I never liked the T7/T8 for it's designed function the speed brakes.

Always felt to stiff and mechanical for something that IMO needs to respond smoothly when dog-fighting. At least mine always feels like you have to jamb it back forward to get it out of the T7 mode.

I never liked the T7/T8 for it's designed function the speed brakes.

Always felt to stiff and mechanical for something that IMO needs to respond smoothly when dog-fighting. At least mine always feels like you have to jamb it back forward to get it out of the T7 mode.

Seems to me that you are confusing the T9-T10 switch, with the T7/T8. The T9-T10 is the one meant for the speedbrakes, it has one locking position and one that must be held.

On many early Cougars the T7-T8 was misaligned, I corrected mine using these instructions:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4356718&postcount=2

Eduardo

Seems to me that you are confusing the T9-T10 switch, with the T7/T8. The T9-T10 is the one meant for the speedbrakes, it has one locking position and one that must be held.

On many early Cougars the T7-T8 was misaligned, I corrected mine using these instructions:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4356718&postcount=2

Eduardo

My bad.

I was going off a recently downloaded file that actually shows both switches being labeled as T7/T8.

cougar_throttle.pdf

Once you go VR you need to have a bit of muscle memory because you can't see the keyboard (or additional keypads) so some more stuff needs to be added to the HOTAS. Most important things on the main layer (like for while dogfighting...:joystick:) and less important stuff on the sublayer(s).

Once you go VR you need to have a bit of muscle memory because you can't see the keyboard (or additional keypads) so some more stuff needs to be added to the HOTAS. Most important things on the main layer (like for while dogfighting...:joystick:) and less important stuff on the sublayer(s).

While the concept of VR is awesome I've stayed away from it because I have heard the graphics aren't even close to a high grade T.V./Monitor. I have been using a 49" 2160p 4K UHD.

What's your opinion?

What's your opinion?

This is one of those things that you have to try for yourself ... a verbal description from someone else wont do. Try the VR of a friend, or look for a Store that allows live demonstrations.

It's true that the resolution is lower than a 4K monitor (much lower in fact) .. but the monitor ends at the border, the VR keeps going ... you can look in any direction you want, you will never see your computer room ... instead you are inside the cockpit.

You make a sudden loop and you can feel your stomach getting upset, it is so much more realistic than a conventional monitor .. but, again, you have to try it yourself.

For me the main difficulty wasnt the resolution, but getting used to the pressure of the helmet on your face, it can get warm and tiring after a long flight.

This is one of those things that you have to try for yourself ... a verbal description from someone else wont do. Try the VR of a friend, or look for a Store that allows live demonstrations.

It's true that the resolution is lower than a 4K monitor (much lower in fact) .. but the monitor ends at the border, the VR keeps going ... you can look in any direction you want, you will never see your computer room ... instead you are inside the cockpit.

You make a sudden loop and you can feel your stomach getting upset, it is so much more realistic than a conventional monitor .. but, again, you have to try it yourself.

For me the main difficulty wasnt the resolution, but getting used to the pressure of the helmet on your face, it can get warm and tiring after a long flight.

I've read forum post of people not being used to it and actually having sore necks after the first couple of times using it.

Or motion sickness (for me only a bit and i got used to that).

The first time i entered a cockpit in VR i had a very big WOW moment (despite the lower graphics, shimmering and the ghosting). Of course you get used to everything so the WOW is a bit gone because i know what to expect but still...

• 2 months later...
That's the beauty of Foxy: it's powerful but without being complicated ... and you can do things that are impossible using just the game controller config.

Let me show just one example ... on the Su-27 your weapon system have five different modes of operation; using Foxy I can assign all five to a single button (Hat2 UP button) ... that cycles among them; the programming for this is:

BTN H2U /T Close_Air_Combat_Vertical_Scan_Mode 
       /T Close_Air_Combat_Bore_Mode 
       /T Close_Air_Combat_HMD_Helmet_Mode 
       /T Longitudinal_Missile_Aiming_Mode 
       /T Beyond_Visual_Range_Mode

For this to work, I have to define these macros on the asociated Macro file, that correspond to the actual keyboard key that DCS uses for each control:

Beyond_Visual_Range_Mode = 2
Close_Air_Combat_Vertical_Scan_Mode = 3
Close_Air_Combat_Bore_Mode = 4
Close_Air_Combat_HMD_Helmet_Mode = 5
Longitudinal_Missile_Aiming_Mode = 6 
Air-To-Ground_Mode = 7 

Now, the Cougar has a "shift" button (the S3 button), that allows us to give dual function to every other button of the Cougar; so I can modify the above script to perform another function in adittion to selecting the weapon system's modes, for example to change the radar into Track While Scan Mode the script would look like this:

BTN H2U /I Radar_RWS/TWS_Mode_Select
       /O /T Close_Air_Combat_Vertical_Scan_Mode 
          /T Close_Air_Combat_Bore_Mode 
          /T Close_Air_Combat_HMD_Helmet_Mode 
          /T Longitudinal_Missile_Aiming_Mode 
          /T Beyond_Visual_Range_Mode

/I designates the macro that executes if I press H2U together with S3, while /O designates the Macro that executes if i press just H2U

I dont want to bore you with more examples, but this should show the power of Foxy along with its simplicity.

Cheers!

Thanks a lot!!!

Now that sounds like the real thing.

Just finished reading "The Hunter Killers" by Dan Hampton about the Wild Weasels of Vietnam plus a few others I've been drowning myself in from the Vietnam air war.

Every time these guys talk about surviving a dogfight or outrunning SAMs they always end with the same thing.."I removed the hot rubber oxygen mask sticking to my face from the intense moisture and heat from the battle...LOL.

Really puts you there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, tell me, when you load your profile in foxy, do you do anything else before entering the game? or just downloaded and entered the dks?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]:joystick::pilotfly::thumbup:

Windows: Windows 10

Memory (RAM): 32 Gb

CPU Info: Ryzen 7 1700X

Display Adapters: RTX 2080 SUPER

Fritreck

:pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly:

Guys, if anyone has a profile for Foxy A10C 2, please give me bad English, I don't understand foxy (((

Fritreck

Hello, tell me, when you load your profile in foxy, do you do anything else before entering the game?

The Cougar has its own memory, where its current profile will remain loaded even if the PC is turned off. For example, at the moment I have on my Cougar a profile for the A-4E Skyhawk.

If I start DCS, then my Cougar will have the controls that I've defined for the Skyhawk. But let's say that I decide to load a MiG-21 mission, then the current Cougar profile is not adequate.

Then I press Alt+Tab to switch to the Windows Desktop, then click on the Foxy shortcut to start it. Once on Foxy I load the MiG-21 profile and use its Download command to download this profile onto the Cougar, takes just a couple of seconds.

Once the MiG-21 profile is loaded on the Cougar, I Alt+Tab again to switch back to DCS and that is all. So, Foxy can easily load another profile while DCS is running. Here is a video where you can see me doing this:

c0HGbvKfZIU

I begin with the Cougar Control Panel so you can check how I have it configured, then run the viewer to check that all axes work, including the microstick. Didn't had time to cut the loading screens to shorten the video, bear with me :thumbup:

Guys, if anyone has a profile for Foxy A10C 2, please give me

The A-10C II appeared just two days ago, so I have not had time to make a profile for it, sorry.

I don't understand foxy (((

Then you should not be using it :)

DCS will recognize the Cougar just fine without needing Foxy, you would only miss on a few programming features, like the ability to recognize not only the press of a button, but also its release.

Best regards.

Eduardo

The Cougar has its own memory, where its current profile will remain loaded even if the PC is turned off. For example, at the moment I have on my Cougar a profile for the A-4E Skyhawk.

If I start DCS, then my Cougar will have the controls that I've defined for the Skyhawk. But let's say that I decide to load a MiG-21 mission, then the current Cougar profile is not adequate.

Then I press Alt+Tab to switch to the Windows Desktop, then click on the Foxy shortcut to start it. Once on Foxy I load the MiG-21 profile and use its Download command to download this profile onto the Cougar, takes just a couple of seconds.

Once the MiG-21 profile is loaded on the Cougar, I Alt+Tab again to switch back to DCS and that is all. So, Foxy can easily load another profile while DCS is running. Here is a video where you can see me doing this:

c0HGbvKfZIU

I begin with the Cougar Control Panel so you can check how I have it configured, then run the viewer to check that all axes work, including the microstick. Didn't had time to cut the loading screens to shorten the video, bear with me :thumbup:

The A-10C II appeared just two days ago, so I have not had time to make a profile for it, sorry.

Then you should not be using it :)

DCS will recognize the Cougar just fine without needing Foxy, you would only miss on a few programming features, like the ability to recognize not only the press of a button, but also its release.

Best regards.

Eduardo

Thank you so much! if you make a video about how to set up controls right in the game with the ministik special thanks) we are waiting for the profile on A10 2:joystick::joystick::joystick::pilotfly:

Fritreck

You have to download your profile into the Cougar, not in Foxy.

And what is dks (all those abbreviations...:cry:)?

we are waiting for the profile on A10 2

You can always create your own...

Edited by Lange_666

You have to download your profile into the Cougar, not in Foxy.

And what is dks (all those abbreviations...:cry:)?

You can always create your own...

ДКС DCS World

Fritreck