From a Cessna to a VR F18

JeDa

Hi all,

I am in the proces of starting to build a home cockpit for the F18. I use an oculus rift so it will be a VR cockpit. Because I also do racesim, and have a frex simconmotion, I will be using this seat for the cockpit. The cockpit must feel as real as possible, the way it looks is not that important because you cant see it. Also the cockpit must be very cheap and easy to build. I plan to use cardboard, wood and my 3d printer for buttons etc. I already have build two side panels from wood and cardboard. I hope I can finish this project within a few months.

Now I hear you think: this is another ambitious project what will die..... Well, it could be the case. You never know. But as the tittle says....... I have some experience. I build a cesna based cockpit (which is still not 100% finished) for X-plane. I have a few movies for this cockpit and I will add the progress of F18 pit to the channel. I will also post some pictures here but my channel will be the main source of information.

This is my cessna cockpit. It is build on the same principles as the f18: easy, very cheap and quick to build

So here is the movie of the cessna, F18 will folow soon

Edited by JeDa
Link to youtube didnt work

Thank you!

The sidescreens are connedted to the cockpit. The cockpit is on a platform so I can esily move it.

The frontscreen is mounted on the wall. I use this for racesims and voor DCS when I play without VR.

Thank you!

The sidescreens are connedted to the cockpit. The cockpit is on a platform so I can esily move it.

The frontscreen is mounted on the wall. I use this for racesims and voor DCS when I play without VR.

Here you can see the outside and the screens:

Nice! Thanks for sharing! So with the enclosed cockpit and the screens enclosed around you does it feel close to the same immersion feeling as VR. Do you prefer VR over this setup? To be able to just render the map around your cockpit like this has to feel pretty immersive?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]