Training 03 Nav - RD/TD issue

bushido

Make sure you son't mix up Rho and Theta - they are in the reverse order on the HSI as opposed to inputting range and bearing. So cross check with the manual to see which one does what.
Thanks, theta is the one on the right, looks like a circle with the line through it. I put the 180 in there. I set 20 on the icon on the left of theta which looks like a p.

The track should show me putting them in correctly. It could be that the latest dcs 1.5 update made it bug out.

I moved on and almost completed the Ils landing but came in too fast. On a side note, the radar and air to air in this jet is a lot of fun!

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

It was a little confusing but I found RD/TD INS values are global and apply to current DEST while TR/VS applies to current PREP.

So if DEST and PREP # do not match then TS/VS readout will show ETE for PREP and general airplane GS. The RD/TD when TOP is pressed starts the countdown clock ETE to DEST and applies this to DEST.

If viewing the PREP the TR value shows maybe 10 minutes but if this is entered for TD and TOP engaged this can be a wildly different commanded speed if DEST is a different distance away than PREP.

I think the limits for TD of current GS is a mistake of development. The limits currently are expressed as double/half of current GS for next commanded GS. This is really weird meaning that if you go fast you can enter an earlier TD than if you go slow.

How these systems normally work is you can enter whatever time you want and the derived GS has to fall within some static limits (say 200 to 1600 kt) which is independent of your current GS. The "plus or minus 50%" sounds like a rule of thumb spoken by a pilot in an interview which is qualitatively true but not an exact description of the system design.

Right now I can just barely squeeze in 24:50 DTE for 481.9 nm to go and get TOP to engage. This commands a GS of 1164 kt. My current GS at this time is 1003 kt.

However if I slow down to 461 kt GS then 45:00 to 512.4nm (683 req. GS) just barely works. It seems unlikely that the system would be designed where the commanded GS limits would be a function of current GS instead of static limits. F-16 for example will show req. GS by time requested unless value is >1700 kt.

Also there is a bug where if you begin to type in the left side digits in RD/TD screen (left showing ---.-) and switch to TR/VS screen while data entry is pending it is a CTD.

• 3 months later...

Reviving this old thread. Is RD implemented now? I tried to run this mission again but can't seem to make this part work...?

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

It is not. And there is no ETA or even 'planned'.

Oh, I see, thanks for confirming! :)

I thought it was out of beta, despite the unfinished manual. Not a big problem I suppose.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

• 1 year later...

Hello all, I just got the M-2000C module recently and I am wondering if RD is implemented. Found this thread but the last reply is almost 2 years old. I am going through the training missions (mission 3) and I can't get the indicators for desired course (or Route Désirée) to show up.

Hello all, I just got the M-2000C module recently and I am wondering if RD is implemented. Found this thread but the last reply is almost 2 years old. I am going through the training missions (mission 3) and I can't get the indicators for desired course (or Route Désirée) to show up.

It's not implemented for the moment.

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

• 7 months later...

Yup, even the updated manual page 150 says RD not implemented.

But then why the in-game instructor expects me to use and follow it as if it's implemented in-game? Best was not to include in the first place to avoid confusion (and just move on to the next lesson in the mission instead - I need fuel to keep flying lol).

Edited by StrikeTrigger