some mods work others don't especially skins

Captain Gordon

hi,

I am new to dcs so please forgive as I could find any "mods not working" threads. Having found the mods world I loved it and downloaded jsGME because my Trend micro security blocks OvGME !!!

then I downloaded mods, then fixed my double folder issue! and got the tracer mod and English cockpit mod (more a test than anything) and DB engine mod all seem to work fine but every skin I try doesn't!

I started with Hellhound V2 as it had the full file tree and moved it across with the others in jsgme but no skin change. I've tried others also to no avail.

Some have only the dss and lua files so I don't know how to get them on a file tree as I am sure they won't work straight off the _MODS directory I've created.

I've followed the tutorials and jsgme is pointing the the right place in dcs 2.0 alpha (-MODS)

Can anyone please help as I am not sure why skins aren't working :doh:

skins now go to your dcs saved games folder in the same structure as the game directory

so c:/user/username/saved games/dcs/mods/aircraft/aircraft name/liveries

or use this process by SkateZilla https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=174462

still works last I checked

if you disable your trend micro and install OvGME it'll work, it's much more user friendly than JsGME imho, Trend is throwing a false positive as the installer & program are not a signed cert,

then put an exception for OvGME into trend so it'll ignore it in future

Edited by Dingo_Bob

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Modules are like Pokemon you gotta catch 'em all :joystick::lol::pilotfly:

AMD Ryzen7 3700x, G-Skills 32Gb RAM @ 3200Mhz, MSI GTX1080Ti, TM Warthog (20cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind Pedals, Oculus Rift, Track Ir5

Thank you, I have found the saved games folder but there is no tree starting /mods/aircraft/aircraft name/liveries

Also do all mods OTHER than skins stay in the main game directory? in my case C:/program files/DCSworld 2 Open alpha/_MODS/

If I did make the tree in the saved games directory, how does OvGME (now got it downloaded) handle going to the main directory _MODS for some mods and the other directory for skins? Is that 2 targets?

Skatezilla's description looks very daunting to me...

Actually, there are three locations where custom skins can be placed. Bob suggested one of them (yes, you would have to create such a folder tree yourself), the other popular one is located in the game folder (Bazar\liveries\... etc) and I prefer to use that one because I don't have enough free space on C: drive anyway. Don't remember the third one. Doesn't matter, they are all OK (though running a "cleanup" command on DCS folder will wipeout any custom files located there, while it would not touch the ones located on C: drive, so that's the main difference I guess).

The question of copying them into the game directly, or using JSGME is open as well, some prefer the first solution, others the second one. In either case, you sometimes might need to create the folder, or the whole folder tree indeed. Which particular skin you have problem with? We'll take a look.

P.S. - one thing to consider is the fact, that just like with any mods, some old skins might as well become "outdated" and not work well on new version of DCS. Keep that in mind while browsing ED website mod repository!

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

The one that started it was K4_HellhoundV2.7z - it has the full tree

The ones I really like are in Bf-109K-4_Jg_26_Summer_1944.rar Especially the totally yellow cowling ones but these seem to be just the very end of the tree in .dss and .lua files although it's not beyond me to add them to the right tree.

I now have the English cockpit, DB noise, tracers and louder guns working in the main game tree, noting that DCS has to be totally closed before enabling then opening dcs.

I am very new to this so would not having saved any games be an issue? I have yet to find out how to start a ca

mpaign and save any games as there are none for me to choose from in the campaigns menu item.

I notice there are loads of skins in the main game in bazar/liveries/BF-109 K4/ how do I choose them?

I think the only campaign available for Bf-109 for now is the fictional "challenge" campaign in 1.5.x. There aren't any for 2.1.x, as the Normandy map and WWII content are not quite finished yet as you can see.

Skins are chosen in mission editor view, by clicking on your plane icon on the map (a big properties tab opens on the right), clicking err.... the last but one mini tab of aircraft properties and chossing the skin from drop-down menu. Ah, wait! There's the other way now, freshly implemented in DCS 2.1 only. Hitting left Alt plus ' key - that opens rearming/refueling menu and choosing a skin from there.

I'm at work now, so will chek the skins you mentioned when I'm back.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

_MODS mainly used by JsGME, OvGME doesn't need it but you can still use it if you have mods saved there already and don't want to change the storage location

so in OvGME, run the program, create a new mod folder in the program, it'll require you to point it to your Game (any game) Install directory and then point to you mod Directory (_MODS) in your case but you can use any folder or drive you want if you are short space on the drive where DCS & _MODS are located

to add mods in OvGME just need a folder name then the files placed in the correct folder structure for them to work

example the F-14 mod you would save it in your _MODS folder as F-14/mods/aircraft/F-14/(all other mod files & folders)

I'll add a screen or two showing layout when I get back to the PC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Modules are like Pokemon you gotta catch 'em all :joystick::lol::pilotfly:

AMD Ryzen7 3700x, G-Skills 32Gb RAM @ 3200Mhz, MSI GTX1080Ti, TM Warthog (20cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind Pedals, Oculus Rift, Track Ir5

OK, I took a quick look at that JG26 skinpack. The author didn't include the whole folder tree in the archive, and rightfully so, because as I mentioned, there are three alternative locations for custom skins, dependent entirely on personal preferences.

I'd just put each of the folders from the archive (e.g. "BF-109 G6 1.Jg 26, Summer 1944") into that bazar/liveries/BF-109K4/ location, which I prefer. My example with the first of these skins attached below.

One could also create a tree on a C drive as Bob suggested previously and put it there as well (only making sure that the plane type folder is spelled exactly as "Bf-109K-4", otherwise the game will not recognize it). And If you like using these 3rd party mod enabling apps for skins as well, create relevant folder tree, you've got it figured allright for sounds and guns, skins can be used the same way.

One thing to remember - some skin authors restrict the number of countries which can use specific skin (i.e. German skin can be enabled only if you chose Germany as your country in mission editor, but won't work for any other countries). Obviously, you can edit-out such a restriction by editing relevant file, but that's something to learn later for you.

example.jpg.53c7121518d54f29fa2dc605e815a3c5.jpg

Thanks Art-J, I added a couple into the /bazar/liveries etc as per your directory tree and prefixed them Bf-109 K4 but they don't appear. Annoyingly the other ones are in that directory and show in mission editor but mine don't. :(

Give me a link to one of those, which don't seem to work for you and I'll take a look.

You've got the spelling right? The can be no space between "109" and "K", only uniterrupted string of characters.

I have a slight problem guys and could use your insight. I have an F-16C mod that I added to my Mods/Aircraft folder from within the main directory. It a weird problem I can access the aircraft fine but the skins aren't showing in game. When I go to the Mission Planner and select a skin its always the Arkansas Razors skin that shows up. I see the skin pack that I created for the F-16A mod which this mod uses also. The skins names are showing in the drop down menu and you can select it but still the arkansas razors is always in game.

Heres some screens in order

Screen_170803_143321.jpg

Then I go to Mission Editor and see the F-16C

Screen_170803_143354.jpg

Then I go to drop down menu and see my skin pack the the plane uses which is also the same skin pack for the F-16A

Screen_170803_143400.jpg

Then the new skin is selected but the skin dont change..So I go in game to fly to see if skin will appear.

Screen_170803_143405.jpg

Finally Im in the pit then click F2 to see skin on outside..

Screen_170803_143446.jpg

Here's what I see no matter what skin I choose

Screen_170803_143458.jpg

My game is 1.5 version and of my mods in game work fine but I just can't figure out this skins problem...Anyone have any ides or fixes. I install my skins in the main game directory in the bazaar liveries folder so it should technically work. Thanks in advance guys!

Don't need a screenshot, but a link to the place where you downloaded the particular skin from, so I can get it too and see how to make it work.

P.S. - as for the screens, on this forum we can add them as any other attachments: Go Advanced -> Manage Attachment -> Choose File -> Upload.

Edited by Art-J

Allright, checked it out. It works, you probably didn't extract the archive properly, as the author zipped two separate skins in one archive.

Tip for the future - take a look at how folders in DCS are organized for all the skins that work OK and organize your custom ones accordingly. You will notice that for the skins general rule is the same - in the "Liveries" folder, the next level below must be the chosen vehicle folder (in this case "Bf-109K4", always watch the spelling!), next one below - skin folder (e.g. "K4HellhoundRed"), that MUST be the last one and it must contain a bunch of various files with .dds extension plus "description.lua" file.

screen2.thumb.jpg.227f4de17370f20ddec72c68f500468b.jpg

Edited by Art-J

Well, it's got me beaten, I have put the skin directly in the game file directory in my dcs.openalpha alongside all the others and it is not offered in payload choices or Alt+'

The dds and lua files are there with the JG27s etc with exactly the right spelling but no success. I even set up an OvGME to enable with the full directory DCS World 2 Openalpha\Bazar\Liveries\Bf-109K-4\Bf-109k-4_DIF_JG 26 Sprick_1941 Dirty which had the 3 x dds and the lua file.

It looks just like your attachment Art-J pic_of_livery_tree_bb4loa.png

Looks good, you're getting there. OK, maybe it's the question of country your virtual pilot flies for? As I said, some custom German skins can be loaded only when you've set your country in mission editor as "Germany". To be sure, open the description.lua file of a chosen skin with any text editor and look at the last line titled "countries" - there will be a list of abbreviations related to countries the skin can be used for (this file can be edited obviously and other countries can be added if needed). I don't have this "Sprick 1941" skin, so cannot confirm.

Edited by Art-J