Thrustmaster Hotas LED lights.

Just a quickie. I've just bought the TM Hotas, and have had a bit of a play with it. Firstly, OMG!!! The build quality is mind blowing. I am seriously impressed :megalol:. Right, the reason for my post...... That row of 5 leds. I've found out how to turn them off and on in the TARGET software, but is there any point to them, or are they just a bit of eye candy? At first I thought they were to indicate some mode or other, but now I'm just baffled.

Early on, Thrustmaster said they would release a TARGET version that would allow control of those LEDs, but that never came about, I guess :-)

I have never used TARGET - just the DCS Options for setting up my Warthogs.

One tip - I use the Throttle Paddle Switch as a Modifyer so I can double up on some of the Warthog buttons.

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Just a quickie. I've just bought the TM Hotas, and have had a bit of a play with it. Firstly, OMG!!! The build quality is mind blowing. I am seriously impressed :megalol:. Right, the reason for my post...... That row of 5 leds. I've found out how to turn them off and on in the TARGET software, but is there any point to them, or are they just a bit of eye candy? At first I thought they were to indicate some mode or other, but now I'm just baffled.

You can program complex profiles with the target software, including switching between modes. There you could put those LEDs to a good use - otherwise they are a bit ... useless.

But right away, here is the usual advice as well: don't use the target software. You don't need it really for DCS and it would make things only much more complicated than it would need to be. TM Warthog Hotas = Plug&Play! :D

• Like 1

Also is you use trackir keep em on full or off. Reason is that they interfere with the zoom and can cause flicker. Tbh I didn't belive it until i changed to full- no flicker

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As MTFDarkEagle has said, they can be controlled with Target. The point of having them is that you can program them to indicate mode changes or anything you wish.

I just don't use them for anything, and since I also leave the computer on all of the time I prefer to have them off.

Here is the code to set the LED intensity for zero. This is the first thing that each of my Target profiles does.

ActKey(PULSE+KEYON+LED(&Throttle, LED_INTENSITY, 0));

You can also turn the them off, and on, individually with code like this.

//initialize LED status all "OFF"
ActKey(PULSE+KEYON+LED(&Throttle, LED_ONOFF, LED_CURRENT-LED1)); //set LED 1 OFF
ActKey(PULSE+KEYON+LED(&Throttle, LED_ONOFF, LED_CURRENT-LED2)); //set LED 2 OFF
ActKey(PULSE+KEYON+LED(&Throttle, LED_ONOFF, LED_CURRENT-LED3)); //set LED 3 OFF
ActKey(PULSE+KEYON+LED(&Throttle, LED_ONOFF, LED_CURRENT-LED4)); //set LED 4 OFF
ActKey(PULSE+KEYON+LED(&Throttle, LED_ONOFF, LED_CURRENT-LED5)); //set LED 5 OFF

This is all explained on pages 19 & 20 of the Target Script Editor Basics manual.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Have a look at the profile in my sig for an example of use. I can change the stick's response curve in-flight and us the LEDs to indicate which curve is active.

The important thing to note is that you need to use the Script Editor and not the GUI in order to unlock the really powerful TARGET functionality.

Other TARGET profiles can be found at warthogworld and the user files section.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

Have a look at the profile in my sig for an example of use. I can change the stick's response curve in-flight and us the LEDs to indicate which curve is active.

The important thing to note is that you need to use the Script Editor and not the GUI in order to unlock the really powerful TARGET functionality.

Other TARGET profiles can be found at warthogworld and the user files section.

Do you use different response curves for different situations then, i.e, taking off/landing, combat, cruising etc?

Yes, it's primarily useful for AAR (air to air refuelling) and formation flying. But basically in any situation where you need very fine control and no dynamic maneuvering it makes sense to choose a response with larger curvature.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

There is an (afaik. undocumented) API for controlling the leds with TmHidControl.dll, so they for example could be used in the lua export script in DCS to react to events... But they're in a place where they are a bit hard to see so I havent found any real use for them.

As a cyborg, you will serve SHODAN well

http://www.kegetys.fi

Whats the point of them at all please ?

The point is that they are there for to use as you wish. Unfortunately, the API mentioned above is something that was never completed, AFAIK.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

the API mentioned above is something that was never completed, AFAIK.

Using the DLL works fine, I "reverse-engineered" it a some time ago. Here is a simple C++ class for using it in case anyone is interested. I havent used it for a while so I dont know if it works with newer drivers etc though... And use at your own risk of course :)

As a cyborg, you will serve SHODAN well

http://www.kegetys.fi

• 6 years later...
Whats the point of them at all please ?

Add small labels to them on the throttle, then they can indicate on/off states of whichever switches you'd like. For instance, for the hornet I have LED1 assigned to landing gear up/down (so when I flip the switch down, it lowers the landing gear AND turns on LED1, etc), LED2 to the hook, LED3 to flaps, LED4 to speed brake, and LED5 to Master Arm. I did that so that I would know the state of certain functions that will affect flight.

Something to note: Intensity only controls ALL lights on the throttle. It cannot be used to control only the LED1-5, for example. You have to use ONOFF for those. If you want to turn off the backlight of the rest of the throttle, it is assigned to LED0.

I also assigned my bound power switch to turn on/off the MFD's - this time INTENSITY is the only way to do so, as I have not found any certain LED designation for the MFD backlights.

Edited by Wolf333

Rig: Alienware Aurora R9 - 9th Gen Core i7 9700K 4.6GHz 8 Cores | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD | 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200MHz XMP 2.0 | LG Series80 QNED 50in 4K 120hz | TM Warthog HOTAS w/F-18 grip | Logitech G Pro RP | TM Cougar MFDs | TrackIR 5 Pro | VR: Oculus Quest 2 |

Modules: FC3 | F/A-18C | F-16C | A-10C II | F-14 | M-2000C | AV-8B | F-5E | JF-17 | P-51D | KA-50iii | UH-1H | AH-64D | Supercarrier | Combined Arms | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria | Normandy | Chanel |

Yeah I have found they are great for indicating things like Hook, Gear, Brakes and external lights. External lights in particular is very embarrassing if you forget on an MP Server, and the same deal with knowing if your brakes are in or out.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Are the LEDs of the MFDs also programmable without the Thrustmaster software?

?

You need to use the the Target Script or GUI if you want to associate them with key presses, it’s all explained in the manuals, worth the effort as the MFD’s make a real difference to indicate certain button presses e.g air brake on, you can have MFD flashing or A/P on LED comes on to remind you the A/P is engaged and so on

Asus ROG IX | Intel i7-9700K | RTX 2080TI | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM | Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M2 | LG 43” 4K Monitor | TrackiR | Stream Deck XL | Warthog HOTAS | Cougar MFDs x 3 | Saitek Rudder Pedals | Logitech G13| Corsair Virtuoso Wireless Headset |

Can those throttle LEDs be programmed to turn on/off for certain actions by using the DCS "Controls" menu?

No they aren’t.

You need to use target gui or target script for it.

I was able to create an export tua that takes input from DCS and changes assignments and lights according to events in DCS, but I abandoned the project as I was not able to make it work in multiplayer, and also I just bought the winwing throttle.

But I still have the mfds, so maybe if someone would help me with the multiplayer thing I could retake the project and finish it.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png