How i learnt to hover

Wrightie

I've been enjoying the Huey for several months now but there was a pretty major aspect that, no matter what i tried i just couldn't master. Of course i'm talking about hovering. While i saw a little improvement I couldn't keep anything like a steady, stable hover or transition back to, erm what i could do in the way of hovering.

I have been using a HOTAS Warthog just sat on my desk, today i received a Helicopter extension from a UK seller on ebay. What can I say but

WOW!!!!

Last night i was unable to hold a hover 3 feet off the tarmac, today - 10 minutes after installing the extension i was about 20 feet off the deck at Nellis holding a steady hover, I then flew over to the race track and flew a circuit, landed pretty much where i planned to before flying back entering another hover and landing back on the helipad where i took off from.

I was sceptical that this extension would have little, if any bearing on my (lack of) flying prowess but instead i'm flying better than i ever have after having it for less than an hour. Money well spent.

20200408_192756_zpssnnn1mv2.jpg[/url][/img]

Extremely jealous. :joystick:

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

It has made such a difference. I really struggled to fly Helicopters with anything close to competence. This has changed that, I have already seen massive improvement. Pretty amazed really.

Congratulation :thumbup:

Flying helicopters really depends on a good control tup.

Great to see that kind of extension. Is this original Thrustmaster?

The longer arm increases the sensibility of your control inputs by 3 times and you also have the chance to rest your arm on your knee, which increases stability.

If you add a collective, it will be again a lot more ( easy is the wrong therm) natural and thereby your already developed skills showing up suddenly.

Always happy landings ;)

Don't know what seat you're using, but if its an office chair consider cutting out a small section of the seat base between your legs to allow you to pull the stick back all the way, costs nothing other than some black tape and allows you to get your forearm resting on your right thigh. You'll soon get used to just manipulating the cyclic with your wrist and fingers only.

Yep,

To see how better it is, I first duck taped a (half) broom stick to a TM1600 to just see what it would be like. A LOT more control.

Now I have the VKB Gunfighter 200mm. Makes for a huge difference with choppers and aircraft. Good balance around the 200mm if your into both.

VKB-Sim-Gunfighter-Pro-Mk-II-MCG-MCG-Pro-English-Russian-verison.jpg

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Extensions work like any lever force, doubling the length of the arm will half the input for same movement, so you need to move twice the range to get same original input.

So if original lever distance was from gimbal axis to grip base a 4" (as example) and with extension it goes to 16", then it is 4 > 8 > 16 and so on quarter of the input with same movement.

This makes very huge difference when considering that with helicopters pilots fly with fingertips, using wrist mainly for larger maneuvers like tight turns or fast stops.

So considering that when in hover and balancing for a centimeters position, you are moving cyclic just millimeters if even that.

That just ain't possible with table top length stick.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.