VR needs a pre-Start System Setting badly  

21 members have voted

1. 1. VR needs a pre-Start System Setting badly

• YES
    • I have no VR

DCS needs badly in Options/SYSTEM 2 save buttons:

1. Save for Monitor

2. Save for VR

In the VR cockpit, there are still problems reading the details in gauges, so I still prefer to fly modern aircraft (with MFCD) on Monitor.

With my high-end PC (my Signature) I get with the highest monitor system settings a satisfying 60 FPS.

But with that same system setting,

(4x MSAA, 2x SSAA, 16x Anisotropic Filtering, Lens Effects Dirt & Flare + xtras)

my VR Pimax 4k performs around 15 FPS ONLY.

(see my thread: 4K VR Slop)

So every time I need to shift between VR & Monitor, I have to change the System setting in all its details.

On the long term; that sucks :mad:

Once those two System settings are saved, a click on the DCS icon for start will pop a pre-start window with two buttons:

1. Monitor Start

2. VR Start

So in the Options / SYSTEM page, two buttons are needed:

Save for Monitor

Save for VR

ED will need to invest some programming in it for sure.

But, the end justifies the means...

BiBa...............BigBang

WIN 11-64 Pro. MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING. SSD: LEXAR 790 4TB. CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K. GPU: MANLI RTX 2080 Ti. RAM: HyperX 3200 MHz 64 GB. Monitor: ASUS 4K 28"/VR: Pimax 4K/TrackIR-5/SAITEK X55-Yoke-Rudder-Trim Wheel.

I think you can save presets with SkateZilla's excellent DCS utility.

Can also choose to launch in VR or 2d desktop mode.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I think you can save presets with SkateZilla's excellent DCS utility.

Can also choose to launch in VR or 2d desktop mode.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

Thanks for the tip.

Seems like Zilla has done a good job.

Still though, his mod interface seems very demanding. A simple short cut in the standard system setting is surely preferable for common users, who do not want to mess around with mods, risking to screw up something by mistake.

Therefore, it would be great if ED takes over Zilla's programming and embed those two options as standard in a pre-start exe.

The problem with mods is that they always need a little bit of tuning after each DCS update.

WIN 11-64 Pro. MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING. SSD: LEXAR 790 4TB. CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K. GPU: MANLI RTX 2080 Ti. RAM: HyperX 3200 MHz 64 GB. Monitor: ASUS 4K 28"/VR: Pimax 4K/TrackIR-5/SAITEK X55-Yoke-Rudder-Trim Wheel.

A system option like you have described would really good.

I use the (-- force_disable_vr) applied in dcs.exe launch method to get around this issue.

I have two dcs.exe shortcut created on my desktop numbered 1 and 2.

The number 1 shortcut does not have ( --force_disable_vr) apllied to it target properties

The number 2 has it applied.

So if I want to play on monitor, I will use shortcut number 2 and verse versa.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Thanks for the tip.

Seems like Zilla has done a good job.

Still though, his mod interface seems very demanding. A simple short cut in the standard system setting is surely preferable for common users, who do not want to mess around with mods, risking to screw up something by mistake.

Therefore, it would be great if ED takes over Zilla's programming and embed those two options as standard in a pre-start exe.

The problem with mods is that they always need a little bit of tuning after each DCS update.

I've been using Skatezilla's most excellent utility for almost two years , and have never had to tune it . He does occasionally update it , which is not problematic for the user .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yeah its annoying. I mainly fly VR, but for CA or mission editing I have to change things. I would love a VR settings, and monitor settings. I'm also using STEAM so no Zilla app for me.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yeah its annoying. I mainly fly VR, but for CA or mission editing I have to change things. I would love a VR settings, and monitor settings. I'm also using STEAM so no Zilla app for me.

Well that's a good argument for a double gogo :joystick:

I've been using Skatezilla's most excellent utility for almost two years , and have never had to tune it . He does occasionally update it , which is not problematic for the user .

Could you, in a few words, describe how to switch between those VR and Monitor Settings with SkateZillas Utility? While it seems to be great, it is not entirely self-explanatory. :music_whistling:

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

Could you, in a few words, describe how to switch between those VR and Monitor Settings with SkateZillas Utility? While it seems to be great, it is not entirely self-explanatory. :music_whistling:

The 2 tabs i`ve marked in red and blue are what you use, simply push either one and it does what it says! No messing about, it`s fool proof, todays update included oculus mirror updates as well for those who live stream or make vid`s in desktop mode.

gAWZYDm.png

i7 8086K(Delidded@5.2),ASUS ROG Maximus X Formula Z370,Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition, 32GB DDR4,860 Pro SSD x2,970 Pro M.2, 840 Evo, Asus ROG PG278Q G-Sync.. Rift S:pilotfly:https://imgur.com/a/TRIm7nL

I kinda get that, but where do you actually save the DCS gfx settings? Or is that done in game, when you start the appropriate one?

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

I kinda get that, but where do you actually save the DCS gfx settings? Or is that done in game, when you start the appropriate one?

My method is this, in your saved games folder under config you will find a graphics lua, set up DCS for VR, exit game then rename it to graphics.lua _vr, setup for monitor settings, and rename graphics.lua_monitor, use each lua as per your session and rename to default graphics.lua prior to launching DCS

That`s the only way right now to do it without changing it each time inside DCS.

i7 8086K(Delidded@5.2),ASUS ROG Maximus X Formula Z370,Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition, 32GB DDR4,860 Pro SSD x2,970 Pro M.2, 840 Evo, Asus ROG PG278Q G-Sync.. Rift S:pilotfly:https://imgur.com/a/TRIm7nL

My method is this, in your saved games folder under config you will find a graphics lua, set up DCS for VR, exit game then rename it to graphics.lua _vr, setup for monitor settings, and rename graphics.lua_monitor, use each lua as per your session and rename to default graphics.lua prior to launching DCS

That`s the only way right now to do it without changing it each time inside DCS.

See, and I hoped Skatezillas Tool would do that. A pity. Thanks a lot anyway, though! :)

This tool will do what you want. Not sure if its still supported or updated. Last commits on Github were done 2 Months ago. So give it a shot if you want.

It allows you to start DCS with different graphic configurations. I think this is done by simply change out the lua file every time you select another profile.

But yes, it would be great to a have the possibility to save different profiles and load them with a --parameter. But not another prestart window to select anything.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Neat, I'll give it a look! :)

Actually, it sounds like it should save gfx settings over various presets, too. Will give it a few more tries later today!

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053&page=40

Let's check the chronological order to save the DCS gfx settings in SkateZilla's DCS Updater GUI / Launcher Utility.

So first, you have to:

1. Configure the DCS Options/SYSTEM for VR

2. Exit DCS

3. Go to the folder: Saved Games/DCS/Config

3. Rename the Graphics.lua file set for VR

4. Go back to DCS Options/SYSTEM

5. Configure the DCS Options/SYSTEM for Monitor

6. Exit DCS

7. Go to the folder: Saved Games/DCS/Config

8. Rename the Graphics.lua file set for Monitor

9. Use each lua file as per your session (more details pls)

10. Finally, rename to default the Graphics.lua prior to launching DCS

And that is supposed to be an easy matter of course for the DCS common user!

Whereas, if we have in the Options/SYSTEM two buttons to;

1. Save for Monitor

2. Save for VR

And in a pre-start DCS window also two buttons:

1. Monitor Start

2. VR Start

Don't you think that the DCS laymen's majority will be relieved with that short cut?

(let alone the Steam users who can't use that mod)

PS. Even the old FSX Dinosaur had the possibility to save your own setting in the Options/SYSTEM

Since SkateZilla's programming work is already done, ED only needs to embed it in that two buttons slimmed-down version of mine, and the VR/Monitor users are happy...

Edited by Biba