F-16 MFD Readability - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #41
Smoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Painter- View Post
Smoked - if you have no issues - fine - we got it - lean back and relax
The displays are definatelay way too low in brightness compared to all other modules - might be self-fixing when we get the full brightness/contrast functionality. Especially the blue colored items are barely visible. Compared to other modules the brightness looks like as if in night-mode setting more or less.
Completely chilled....

Could the MFD's be brighter? Yep.. no harm in that..
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:15 PM   #42
Geraki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked View Post
Completely chilled....

Could the MFD's be brighter? Yep.. no harm in that..
The mfd's text and HSI circles and lines must be brighter or white for better SA

during Datalink and link16 in near future many symbols will appear in MFD's these must be bright and well noticeable ......
Geraki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:09 PM   #43
Majik

I think at least some of the varying opinions in this thread may/could stem from seat position and probably in-game IPD people are using. It's not always fair that just because you do or don't have a problem that others do or don't.

For me, in the default seating position, MFD text was definitely clearer (but not necessarily easy to read) for me in a CV1 at 1.3 PD. As I've moved backwards in-game and reclined my real chair to match what I believe to be a more accurate position based on the seatback, I'm at a point where I'm not really able to make out text too well anymore. Adding 2x AA at the same PD brought a little clarity back though. YMMV

Even though I'm planning to upgrade my HMD and PC, I'm still hoping text clarity could be cleaned up a little. Brightness is most definitely an issue I think we can all agree upon.
Majik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:36 PM   #44
Frederf
Veteran

First thing I did was get on the SYM rocker and try to crank the symbols brighter. Reflections seem out of control for a display unit that probably cost $10,000 and has all sorts of technology to enhance viewing.
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:08 PM   #45
muehlema

The readability since the last patch is no better. The blue lines are too dim.

The original looks better

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z270E ROG STRIX | Intel i7-7700K @4.5GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S
muehlema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:49 PM   #46
bies

For me in VR (HP Reverb) Hornet's MFDs (DDI) are perfectly readable and crisp. Tomcat's and Harrier's also.
F-16's MFDs are very hard to read without leaning/zooming at identical settings.
In Hornet DDI I can clearly see every digit and every font.
In F-16 I can't even read upper and lower radar scan altitude reliably.

The strangest is not the poor readability of F-16 MFD itself but the big difference between Hornet and Viper in this regard. Both being developed by ED.

Last edited by bies; 11-07-2019 at 11:04 PM.
bies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:57 PM   #47
Wicked.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik View Post
I think at least some of the varying opinions in this thread may/could stem from seat position and probably in-game IPD people are using. It's not always fair that just because you do or don't have a problem that others do or don't.

For me, in the default seating position, MFD text was definitely clearer (but not necessarily easy to read) for me in a CV1 at 1.3 PD. As I've moved backwards in-game and reclined my real chair to match what I believe to be a more accurate position based on the seatback, I'm at a point where I'm not really able to make out text too well anymore. Adding 2x AA at the same PD brought a little clarity back though. YMMV

Even though I'm planning to upgrade my HMD and PC, I'm still hoping text clarity could be cleaned up a little. Brightness is most definitely an issue I think we can all agree upon.

This is always a good suggestion but not effective in this case. I've flown DCS in VR for two years now beginning with the CV1, Pimax 5K+, S, Reverb and now the Index. I know every tweak there is to get an HMD to look as good as possible. The problem is not with the HMD though it effects some more than others. The Reverb, having the highest resolution natively shows the least impact. Then the S, then Index, followed by the Gen 1 units.

The difference is stark when you compare the Viper to any other modules MFD's. I've been obsessing over this for a couple weeks now, at least since either the Oct 10th or 31st updates. I can't pin down which. In these updates there were changes to the cockpit textures and canopy lighting effects. Since then, readability for me has gotten much worse on the MFD's. But other problems have crept up as well that also effects the MFD's. Namely the lighting in the pit and very bad aliasing. On release I was able to run my normal SteamVR settings that I was happy with in the Hornet, plus I was able to turn on MSAA to 2x without a frame hit. This was needed because the Viper has much more aliasing than the Hornet. Since those updates, I can't run those settings at all. I've had to back down on the SteamVR settings so low that MSAA @ 2x can't overcome the amount of aliasing.

These are two separate issues though. The second only enhancing the original problem. The MFD's do not look anything like the real Block 50CJ MFD's. That's just a fact. Even on the Reverb. There's no way the Air Force would accept the pilots having to lean in and squint to see the MFD's. I'm pretty sure the 16 was designed to keep the pilots head out of his crotch as much as possible

For the second issue, the lighting is jacked up. If you look at the screen shots below you'll see that the sun is on my nose and yet the bootwell is lit up like the sun is shinning directly in there. I don't think the black sheepskin seat covers are reflecting it.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Last edited by Wicked.-; 11-08-2019 at 12:07 AM.
Wicked.- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:32 AM   #48
Eldur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraki View Post
In addition, i think the CMFD Range rings must be more "blue" more visible.
There are range rings?

Pretty much tells how "visible" they actually are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krippz View Post
The MFD's are rather small guys their 4x4.
Apples by oranges?

Last edited by Eldur; 11-08-2019 at 06:37 AM.
Eldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:20 AM   #49
zhukov032186

@Wicked regarding ''there's no way they'd do this''

While I get what you're saying, and am not commenting on the MFDs, the assumption ''they would never do something like this'' couldn't be more wrong. The history of military aviation is literally FULL of examples of mistakes ranging from benignly stupid and un-user friendly to outright deadly. Even a cursory reading will turn up multiple examples. So, the idea something isn't possible just because it's stupid or poorly designed doesn't really work.
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:11 AM   #50
Wicked.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhukov032186 View Post
@Wicked regarding ''there's no way they'd do this''

While I get what you're saying, and am not commenting on the MFDs, the assumption ''they would never do something like this'' couldn't be more wrong. The history of military aviation is literally FULL of examples of mistakes ranging from benignly stupid and un-user friendly to outright deadly. Even a cursory reading will turn up multiple examples. So, the idea something isn't possible just because it's stupid or poorly designed doesn't really work.
lol touché! Point taken. Check out these photos. They're the best ones I can find with decent resolution. Is this what you're seeing?

The second is from the Smithsonian.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/298293175302237985/
https://airandspace.si.edu/multimedi.../2001-1822hjpg

Instead of trying to zoom in just go to the actual links.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.
Wicked.- is offline   Reply With Quote