Which is easier to master the F18 or F16? - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #41
MasterZelgadis

I think when in a complete state the F-16 will be easier to master. Not sure about the systems, should be similar, but if you really want to "master" the aircraft, as the title says, in the F-18 you have additional carrier ops, F-16 is only land based, which makes it easier to master.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:07 PM   #42
Kev2go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviscerador View Post
Dual rail amraam has almost no drag. And in case you are worried about that, you can always drop the dual rails after firing the external missiles for the merge.

With 6 AAM and bombs you are forfeiting fuel in the viper. The Hornet can then bring 8 AAM + TPOD + bombs doing that. Or 7 AAM + ATFLIR + Fuel + Bombs.

Of course we are talking about minmaxing. I usually fly with two bags in the Hornet because I like to fly with realistic loadouts.
Respectfully that BS, I find myself having to use much higher throttle settings to fly at the speed I want in the hornet with dual aam racks than without. I dont like to be slow.

The hornet is great when you have minimal external stores or of you flight it outright clean, but the viper is just much more tolerant of drag from external stores.

8 aam with bombs, tgp? Sure if you sacrifice even more bomb or fuel carry for the missiles.

If you take 8 aam and 2 bags of gas, and a tgp, you've got no room for bombs lol. If you take asymmetric loadout with single bag that only leaves you 1 to 2 bombs depending on the munition type. That is just pitifully bad which is why for a strike fighter loadout it's not practical to take more than 4 aam,s.

Even if you look at actual hard stats the f16 can carry more munitions in terms of lbs than the hornet. F16 can carry up to 17,000 lbs worth of ordinance whereas the hornet can carry only carry 13,700 lbs. Only the super hornet can outdo what the viper can carry with 17,750 lbs of ordinance and it's a much larger fighter, that's even draggier than the legacy hornet.

This is exactly why the navy wanted the super hornet., the needed a hornet with more ordinance carry and more gas ( but I digress)

The tgp arrangement in the viper is also better, a unique hardpoint. In the hornet you either have to sacrifice a bag of fuel on the fuselage , or a pair of bombs ( l2) or an a missile on cheek station ( atflir) to carry one.

Build:

Spoiler:

Windows 10 64 bit,

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z370- E Motherboard, Intel Core i7 8700k ( Noctua NH14S cooler),Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 32gb ram (2666 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia Gtx 1080 8gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; WD 1TB HDD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 512 gb SSD

Last edited by Kev2go; 10-18-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Kev2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:19 PM   #43
Kev2go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterZelgadis View Post
I think when in a complete state the F-16 will be easier to master. Not sure about the systems, should be similar, but if you really want to "master" the aircraft, as the title says, in the F-18 you have additional carrier ops, F-16 is only land based, which makes it easier to master.
Yea I would say get both, but if you only want 1 of the two it should be a matter of whether you are interested in carrier ops or not.( at least as short form answer) to whether you buy the viper or the hornet.

Build:

Spoiler:

Windows 10 64 bit,

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z370- E Motherboard, Intel Core i7 8700k ( Noctua NH14S cooler),Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 32gb ram (2666 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia Gtx 1080 8gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; WD 1TB HDD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 512 gb SSD

Last edited by Kev2go; 10-18-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Kev2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #44
BIGNEWY
ED Community Manager

I found it difficult to transition to the viper from the hornet, but now find it easier to fly and operate.
Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Discord BIGNEWY#8703
BIGNEWY is offline   Reply With Quote