DCS Transport Aircraft (Tactical) - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-11-2019, 07:08 PM   #21
Silver_Dragon
ED Translator

Send a message via MSN to Silver_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ercoupe View Post
Seriously? You want to dodge SAMs and be intercepted by MiGs while flying a transport? Sounds like fun....all two minutes of it.
We go to make a little change....
Seriously? You want to dodge SAMs and be intercepted by MiGs while flying a transport Helicopter? (UH-1/Mi-

DCS: Roadmap (unofficial):https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893
DCS: List of Vacant models: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.p...91#post4076891
21Squad DCS: World News: https://www.facebook.com/21Squad-219508958071000/
Silver_Dragon Youtube
Silver_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:11 PM   #22
Richard Dastardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlankerKiller View Post
It wouldn’t be too different then being in an A-10. Hopefully you would have some fighter cover, or as you say it would be a short encounter. But that’s the challenge. Try to loose him on the deck, stay low to evade the SAMs. Plus these things have some serious ECM, on par with the A-10. It’s a different form of flying, and a different kind of challenge, but it’s a big part of tactical aviation. But there would need to be a reason. ED needs to expand on the Logistics side of combat. The ground forces already have limited ammo, and trucks can resupply. But there needs to be limited amounts of said resupply, and those supplies need to have origin points, air bases, carriers, ships, Farps, Warehouses, that kind of thing. It would make both cargo, and strike missions have more of an impact, well at least in a scenario style game.
Tac fixed wing transports have close to the same jobs as transport helis, and there's various built-in and 3rd-party support for those. What would actually be needed to do it properly is better support for rough strips.

The ultimate one is the MC-130, which does have a rather large suite of tools...
Old 10-11-2019, 10:21 PM   #23
FlankerKiller

I couldn’t agree more about rough fields. Hell the F-5 could fly from pretty rough fields, and there’s a reason the MiG-29 has thous intake covers. There needs to be a point object we could place, and give a direction too that would denote an “emergency strip” maybe with scaleable length. Could be used on flat areas, or roads. What I meant about logistics support is they need to incorporate a whole lot of what third parties are doing.
FlankerKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #24
WHOGX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dastardly View Post
Tac fixed wing transports have close to the same jobs as transport helis, and there's various built-in and 3rd-party support for those. What would actually be needed to do it properly is better support for rough strips.

The ultimate one is the MC-130, which does have a rather large suite of tools...
An early MC-130 would be the perfect tactical aircraft to model for DCS. In addition to what the C-130 can do, the MC-130 can both give and receive fuel via aerial refueling, drop 15,000 lbs BLU-82 daisy cutters, extract ground personnel using the fulton recovery system, use FLIR and terrain following radar to perform low altitude penetration of enemy airspace in lo-vis and night time conditions, etc. The possibilities would be endless and it would be able to perform superbly even in combat roles.

Also, for the record, I would happily buy an E-2/C-2 if it was ever released.
-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:
  • MC-130E Combat Talon
  • F/A-18F Lot 26
  • HH-60G Pave Hawk
  • E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound
  • EA-6A/B Prowler
  • OV-10D/D+ Bronco
  • RA-5C Vigilante
WHOGX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:15 PM   #25
Focha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dastardly View Post
Out of curiosity, what would you consider hard about a C-141? other than the apparent lack of support for more than two engines...

Out of all of them, the ones you'd either take to or across front lines would seem to be the ones to choose. Tactical insertion is still dodging enemy defences & dropping stores :p

You somehow missed the AN-12, btw.
Hard in that it would be difficult to get good arguments to have that kind of aircraft regarding the scale of the world maps in DCS or because the aircraft is still in service and could be difficult to extract data.

I missed An-12, I've added it. Thank you.

Last edited by Focha; 10-12-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Focha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:21 PM   #26
Focha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic98 View Post
Oh Sharpe....

I've made a list, not with the objective to have all the aircraft listed there. Just to point out a few by order of my preference. It doesn't mean that people would like to see that on DCS.

The list could be easily reduced to the following:
- Grumman C-2 Greyhound (A variant);
- The Mighty Lockheed C-130 (H variant);
- Alenia C-27J Spartan (J or A variant);
- Transall C-160 (D version);
- Fairchild C-123 Provider (K variant);
- Antonov An-12 Cub (A variant);
- Antonov An-26 Curl (A variant).

Or even more:
- Grumman C-2 Greyhound (A variant);
- The Mighty Lockheed C-130 (H variant);
- Antonov An-12 Cub (A variant).

And more: MC-130.

Last edited by Focha; 10-12-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Focha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:24 PM   #27
Kang

I can't believe I forgot all about the Transall C-160 in my earlier post. Definitely on the list.
Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:24 AM   #28
Richard Dastardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focha View Post
Hard in that it would be difficult to get good arguments to have that kind of aircraft regarding the scale of the world maps in DCS or because the aircraft is still in service and could be difficult to extract data.

I missed An-12, I've added it. Thank you.
Fortunately the C-141 has been out of service for years. It is more a strategic lifter, though - not really much call for those with our map size. I'd probably only buy something like that out of curiosity if it was on sale - a proper tactical lifter with some rough field enhancements I'd get because it sounds like something fun new to do.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:17 PM   #29
The_Pharoah

I think the E-2 Hawkeye would be an excellent addition. Throw in the ability to man radar on the a/c (remove the ingame AWACS) and suddenly there's a real need for this in MP.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:58 AM   #30
CAmastersgt

CASA-212

We used it in special operations. 2 engines, jumpable, small loads, field landing strip capable. Simple, sweet, and would be a nice asset.