Hornet Nellis Aproaches - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-10-2019, 08:12 PM   #21
Ginsu80

So I ran the approach some last night. Following the break as on the charts I ended up with a single turn to final 180 degrees and a short 5-10 second final for line up. Felt like a very aggressive approach. Not sure what it should look like. Anyone have a vid that shows and actual approach. Other than that it went well, stayed within the limits without issue
Old 10-10-2019, 09:55 PM   #22
randomTOTEN

Glad you got it sorted out Ginsu! Yeah compared to piston or jet airliners it's an aggressive approach for sure. There are videos of F-16 landings on Youtube and they regularly pull 2Gs in the traffic pattern no problem. Yes a continuous downwind-final turn is what I've been using with success, as there's really no room for a straight base. That's okay though as the manuals for both the F/A-18C (Carrier and FCLP) and F-16C show these constant turning circuits. I don't think there's normally enough airspace anywhere for a rectangular pattern in these aircraft.

My first problem was timing the base turn to stay north of the road, but that was quickly resolved. My latest challenge is managing the descent and turn rate to not fly "through" the extended centerline. I find that my descent rate is initially excessive and then shallows out as I increase my bank angle through the last 90º of turn. Despite the fast pace of the approach I need to turn even harder at the start and work on a more even descent angle to the runway.

This is a great activity for the Nevada map, and these procedures really are helpful in getting the best out of it
Looking at and reading the information packet, we can tell the initial portion of the arrival has us thread a needle between civilian traffic likely above us and the mountains below at Gass Peak. Then we have to stay out of the civilian traffic moving across the Las Vegas area and North Las Vegas airport. We are then in a position to safely join the flow of traffic into Nellis. As we turn downwind and look for the Lake Mead Blvd., I know that transport jets are (likely) on takeoff out of McCarren Intl. ahead of me, and I can see houses below. There are more houses south of the road, and more businesses to the north. This turn restriction probably has both an airspace/traffic and noise abatement aspect to it's existence. As I get low I can see the industrial park below me, and I know the houses are behind me. When I power up my engine because I've botched the turn, I can imagine the people in those houses having to endure the roar of my engine a little bit louder than normal. That probably causes some tension.

Procedures like these really bring life to the city in the Nevada map. Nellis turns from a simple air base on the edge of Las Vegas into one pushed tightly against political, geographical, and airspace boundaries. Except for the north... there's really not a lot of room here. Without accurate charts and procedures it's really hard to put military ops into similar context in both PG and the Black Sea maps.

I appreciate the Red Flag campaigns for introducing me to these procedures, and thanks to the 476th for uploading the Nellis procedures that we can practice and learn from.
randomTOTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:40 AM   #23
KTFBGB

This is why I love this community. We got to help out someone who needed it and learn some new stuff in the process. This sim offers so much depth and realism if you actually use it to its full potential.

We just spent 2 days working out how to fly 1 approach, and never dropped any ordinance. I decided i better fly it in the viper as well. I never even thought about missing weapons or systems in either aircraft and was completely immersed in something as simple as flying a proper approach.
KTFBGB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:38 AM   #24
AMEDooley

Ginsu don’t worry about being exactly at the points described. If you’re doing an overhead break, that means you are in VFR. As long as you can see the places you can deviate a bit. Just worry about hitting the correct numbers: 1500 AGL, Pull 1% of speed in G (350KNT=3.5G pull) get to the 45 on the down wind, turn and drop altitude. The rest will just kind of take care of itself.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:18 AM   #25
Eaglewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTFBGB View Post
This is why I love this community. We got to help out someone who needed it and learn some new stuff in the process. This sim offers so much depth and realism if you actually use it to its full potential.

We just spent 2 days working out how to fly 1 approach, and never dropped any ordinance. I decided i better fly it in the viper as well. I never even thought about missing weapons or systems in either aircraft and was completely immersed in something as simple as flying a proper approach.
Correct.
The sim offers some more satisfaction beside dropping bombs.
I love doing approachs and departures as the charts or ATC recommends. It is so much fun.
Eaglewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:00 PM   #26
ExNusquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsu80 View Post
Awesome missions, I'll definitely try them both. I spent all last night trying to get http://www.476vfightergroup.com NTTR mission flyable. I have a pretty decent rig but even with just the 60 or 70 ranges loaded it chugged along at 25-35fps in VR. I have PD set to 1.5 and MSAA set to 2x. I'm going to tweak some things tonight to see if I can get it to play better because the map and objects are awesome. I have a i7-7700k and a watercooled 1080ti. ROG motherboard but I'm not running on a SSD so maybe I should look into that upgrade. I did fly the pattern a few times last night and found that I was either too tight turning base to final or not tight enough. Not sure if it should be a smooth single turn or a turn onto base then another turn to final. If the consensus is to land per the Air Force break I practice that more, though I may be getting rusty on my carrier approaches. I haven't done one all week that's been decent.
Turn off Tacview if you have it enabled when running the 476th NTTR missions - the number of ground objects severely degrades recording performance.
ExNusquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:06 AM   #27
thetford569

I had some FPS Issues with the 476th NTTR Missions as well. Make sure if you are running TacView that it's turned off and not recording. The large FPS drops that I had were due to TacView running. Once I disabled it in the menu in the DCS Settings FPS returned to normal. I did still have to use either the 60s or 70s mission as the mission including all the ranges was still too much of a hit. But now it's running fine in VR and I have an i7 7700k with a GTX1080.

Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsu80 View Post
Awesome missions, I'll definitely try them both. I spent all last night trying to get http://www.476vfightergroup.com NTTR mission flyable. I have a pretty decent rig but even with just the 60 or 70 ranges loaded it chugged along at 25-35fps in VR. I have PD set to 1.5 and MSAA set to 2x. I'm going to tweak some things tonight to see if I can get it to play better because the map and objects are awesome. I have a i7-7700k and a watercooled 1080ti. ROG motherboard but I'm not running on a SSD so maybe I should look into that upgrade. I did fly the pattern a few times last night and found that I was either too tight turning base to final or not tight enough. Not sure if it should be a smooth single turn or a turn onto base then another turn to final. If the consensus is to land per the Air Force break I practice that more, though I may be getting rusty on my carrier approaches. I haven't done one all week that's been decent.
thetford569 is offline   Reply With Quote