Normal Camera to head-track?

Is it possible to go to the normal electronics store and buy a camera and set it up to use it as head tracking somehow? if possible how do i do it and can someone please give me a link to a tutorial or explain to me how it works?

Is it possible to go to the normal electronics store and buy a camera and set it up to use it as head tracking somehow? if possible how do i do it and can someone please give me a link to a tutorial or explain to me how it works?

It's a bad idea to use a normal webcam as-is .. you need to remove their IR-filters first .. here they sell the webcam already modified:

https://delanengineering.com/shop/PS3-Camera-IR-Filter-Removed-p50254011

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

You can also use open track with the aruco tracker which is a printed code u attach to a hat or your headphones and it tracks the marker instead of your face.

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick

Actually facetracknoir tracks your face, not an IR clip, so it doesn’t need any modifications to the camera

Tracking the face is too imprecise for reliable use with DCS .. I do use Facetracknoir, but with an IR clip:

f01.png

and on this video you can see the tracking precision and smoothnes:

LKWApaTw9Ak

true .. using the face may be cheaper, but it isnt really practical.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Tracking the face is too imprecise for reliable use with DCS .. I do use Facetracknoir, but with an IR clip:

f01.png

and on this video you can see the tracking precision and smoothnes:

LKWApaTw9Ak

true .. using the face may be cheaper, but it isnt really practical.

It works fine for me. I’ve been using it for years. You just have to set it up right. Not saying a clip isn’t more accurate- just saying it works fine for me