1:500000 printable DCS/FC2.0 Tactical Chart (WIP)

igormk

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For years I was looking for maps like that!

Thank you for this excellent job...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win7 Home Premium 64bit, Intel Core i5-760 (2.8-3.33), GigaByte GA-P55-USB3, be quiet PurePower BQT L7 530W ATX23, CoolerMaster CM690II Adv, LG GH22LS, HD 500GB WD5001AALS, 6 GB Kingston 1333-999 Blu, Sapphire 1GB HD5850 Vapor-X OC, Scythe Yasya SCYS-1000, display LG E2350VR-SN 23"

Jim maybe Igormk-TFC/ED could consider a print run to reduce costs? I know I'd buy one. Considering that Lock On and DCS now use the same World, it's ideal.

Nate

Interesting idea. I'd even pre-order if that would help them to decide if there's sufficient demand to make it worth the investment.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming | i5 7600K 3.8 GHz | ASRock Z270 Pro4 | Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 16 GB | PNY CS2030 NVMe SSD 480 GB | WD Blue 7200 RPM 1TB HDD | Corsair Carbide 200R ATX Mid-Tower | Win 10 x64

Wow! that map is excellent. Yes, as an earlier poster said, PNG format is compressed and much better for 'line art' than JPEG. JPEG is designed for photographs only, with anything else it creates visual artifacts that ruin this superb map).

• ED Team
Jim maybe Igormk-TFC/ED could consider a print run to reduce costs? I know I'd buy one. Considering that Lock On and DCS now use the same World, it's ideal.

Nate

Hi Nate - that's a good idea. I'll contact Igormk to explore options.

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.

I would also purchase a few if they came available in the High Defination version. ( would like to see the whole region mapped out in Laminated form.

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

Hey, once again thanks for the support! I will consider .png format (which is ~130MB) if it provides a better quality.

Although you might already know that, the Beacon locations can be found in "(...)\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50\Scripts\World\Radio". Maybe that helps at least for the Radio stations/towers.

The only Oilrigs I found at first glance were offshore from SOCHI and have the following coords, according to the mission editor:

43 32 15 N : 39 43 25 E

43 33 26 N : 39 40 25 E

In the Sea of Azov are two pairs of platforms, Crimea Tour (waypoints 44,45,36,47)

West of Sochi is a pair of platforms, Caucasus Tour waypoint 34

The three oil platforms that many folks dont know about are west of Crimea and pictured below....

As for industrial complexes, the Caucasus tour will show you most of those. Read the briefing which tells you about extra industrial complexes not on the actual tour that are marked with static objects to make them easy to find.

Hope this helps......

Garfieldo and Brit_Radar_Dude, off course that your information are of great help. :thumbup:

Still I’m hoping that there is a way to find precise info of locations of those objects (something like .lua file with their coordinates). If not, I will consider other options. NDBs from Beacons.lua are already on the map.

Here is my thought on adding more visual references like towers etc. If a organized flight is using a common area as a Bullseye, like many squads do, there is no need for these extra references. You just call out a Bearing Range and Altitude form the common Bullseye.

edit: may I also add that a version that is readable on a monitor when in full screen would be sweet if you can. Thanks again.

Crunch, I see your point, and I think you are right because most of the MP missions you can find on servers today are, let’s say, preplanned. So it depends on in which direction we will develop MP missions after FC2.0 and next DCS modules. I think we would add realism, fun and excitement if we put more accent on A-FACs and scouts and on-alert strikers and fighters. In that case if you are striker called in an area which you didn’t have enough time to study, I believe it would be very helpful to have few extra references on the map.

After all, once again, if we get precise info of those objects, I will try to put them on the map. If it’s overloading it, then I can take them out. We will see.

It is also good idea to have a “full-screen” version of the map for general orientation using alt+tab. Soon as I finish this one I will consider making one.

Hi Nate - that's a good idea. I'll contact Igormk to explore options.

Great JimMack! PM incoming! I think that a simulator like DCS BS deserves to have hard copy map. Let’s do it! :pilotfly:

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Any chance of a vector version? It would be nice to have a solid basis to take detail of smaller areas and print small kneeboard type maps - would be awesome for mission designers as well, offering an easy way to supply printable map resources for specific missions.

That aside, truly awesome job Igor, and I'll definitely order one if a print run becomes a viable option.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I'd like to seconds EtherealNs suggestion to also release the vector version. I would have tonnes more use of that than even a very high resolution lossless.

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

FreeTrack in DCS A10C (64bit): samttheeagle's headtracker.dll

Great stuff indeed. igormk, thanks.

I'd like to seconds EtherealNs suggestion to also release the vector version. I would have tonnes more use of that than even a very high resolution lossless.

The problem with a vector map is of course where do you get the data from? Unless ED provides their source, I don't see how you could get a vector map that fits the ingame version exactly...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

The problem with a vector map is of course where do you get the data from? Unless ED provides their source, I don't see how you could get a vector map that fits the ingame version exactly...

Of course. I did not read up in the first post about how this was made, kind of made sense to me somehow that the map was extracted from game files rather than screencapped... Still lovely looking though! ;)

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

FreeTrack in DCS A10C (64bit): samttheeagle's headtracker.dll

Any chance of a vector version? It would be nice to have a solid basis to take detail of smaller areas and print small kneeboard type maps - would be awesome for mission designers as well, offering an easy way to supply printable map resources for specific missions.

Yes, exactly. Sorry, but this map is made from screenshots from the mission editor. I don’t know would that make any difference, but my initial plan was to make it from .cdds files, but soon after I started organizing my work in that direction, I found out that the terrain is divided on layers (ground, water surfaces, roads, populated areas, vegetation…) and I was not able to find a way to join them together.

Most I can provide is CorelDraw version of the map, so you will have unlimited resolution on lines and texts. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Now,

* * * * * I M P O R T A N T * * * * * *

ED is thinking on the possibility of supporting this map and in this case the map will be officially published!

In the meantime we are trying to find a way of providing me with that additional info (antennas, industrial complexes locations), so I can put them on the map, and we are searching for errors and bugs.

What I need from you is to hear what else they would like to see on it. Things like bullseye, compass rose, some extra objects… yes or no? Be free to be detailed and as explicit as possible when suggesting things.

I will be away for next two weeks (starting from Sunday), so I think that will be enough time to hear all your ideas and wishes.

After that I will try to finish it, and release it ASAP.

Salute!

Edited by igormk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One of the most important things to do is to include the altitudes of peaks in the terrain.

Not just mountains - but nearly every hill out there, like on aeronautical maps.

What I need from you is to hear what else they would like to see on it. Things like bullseye, compass rose, some extra objects… yes or no? Be free to be detailed and as explicit as possible when suggesting things.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda