What module next?

The F-15 has a "perfect" wing? Interesting. The following exercise should prove interesting then. Which of the following planes has the "best" wing? The tables are CL, CD and CL/CD respectively. The blue, the red or the green?

EDIT: just to make things less biased. All the planes here are US made, they are fighters of comparable generation and they employ no lift aids (no flaps or slats).

comparable generation with out lift aids?

Only thing in us design that I could think of that could be compared with out lift aids designed for high mach would be the F4. I'm not even going to look at the tables as I suspect you're trying to compare airfoils designed for subsonic | low mach flight.

Edited by pr1malr8ge

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your desired effect on the target is making the pilot defecate his pants laughing then you can definitely achieve it with a launch like that.

Why were they ordering the color to begin with? Might as well paint them pink as using baby blue.

From my understanding the color was chosen because it was "studied" and determined it causes less eye strain or a calm/less stressful than other colors ?

It's just a personal distaste in the color choice. I'd rather deal with more eyestrain if it resulted in less disgust each time I get in the cockpit.

Edited by pr1malr8ge

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your desired effect on the target is making the pilot defecate his pants laughing then you can definitely achieve it with a launch like that.

Exactly. It hardly gets me into a combat mood.

I also don't like russians choice of their ADI either.

fint-HORIZON-SEND_zpsb40d43fd.jpg

Edited by pr1malr8ge

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are you gonna tell us what fighters you're talking about or is that not dramatic enough?

It didn't matter what planes were in question, i wanted to see what criteria is he using to determine the superiority of a wing. That is why i withheld the aircraft identities. But if you'd like, i will label them. :thumbup:

comparable generation with out lift aids?

Only thing in us design that I could think of that could be compared with out lift aids designed for high mach would be the F4. I'm not even going to look at the tables as I suspect you're trying to compare airfoils designed for subsonic | low mach flight.

I apologize , i wasn't clear enough. I meant, no lift aids were used in measuring the basic aerodynamic quotients. The flaps and the slats (when available) were kept retracted. All the planes are mach 2 capable and don't actually have leading edge root extensions.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

From my understanding the color was chosen because it was "studied" and determined it causes less eye strain or a calm/less stressful than other colors ?

No this was just the excuse said person came up with once their mistake was uncovered and they needed to think fast to avoid the gulag. :P

The blue colour was chosen because it makes it easier for the pilot to transfer between the bright environment outside and darkness inside the cockpit, reducing fatigue.

Then why paint the skin the same color?

Buzz

I don't know, maybe because it's the same colour as the sky?

Also, do you really think it looks bad? I think it looks pretty nice.

It's not my first choice, but the skin is not as bad as the cockpit the same color.

Buzz

• 10 months later...

...Which of the following planes has the "best" wing? The tables are CL, CD and CL/CD respectively. The blue, the red or the green?

Well, the word "best" may split depending on interest, best for just one characteristic or best as an overall.

For instance, it's simple to chose one function by looking at one factor:

1. Highest lift no matter the detriments (such as drag which affects forward accelerations and STR) which corresponds to the RED function, suitable for lower speed performance and higher instantaneous turn rates in the case of a fighter.

2. Highest lift to drag ratio and also preserves a lower drag due to AoA for a wider CL or AoA range which corresponds to the GREEN function, suitable for a bit higher speed performance and higher sustained turn rates (as compared to the red one) in the case of a fighter.

Otherwise, by putting into balance the gain to loss ratios of these two (judging this diagram), the green one may actually be chosen as "best" for overall results.

When you can't prove something with words, let the maths do the talking.

I have an insatiable passion for helping simulated aircraft fly realistically!

Sincerely, your correct flight model simulation advisor!