Isolation valve

Pocket Sized

Am I the only one who fails to see any disadvantage to overriding the fuel control? It quickens throttle response by a huge margin (good for suprise TOGA).

The manual states that quick throttle movements can cause compressor stalling and/or engine damage. Because planes in DCS are single use, we don't have to worry about maintenance. But I have yet to see any kind of compressor stall or overtemp, even if I take the lever from ground idle to full in less than a second or vise versa. Is this modeled? Will it bite me in the arse when I least expect it?

Edited by Pocket Sized

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Haven't flown the -15 for a few months, but I remember it actually was quite easy to get a compressor stall while one the ground with the valve on, by mashing the throttle too quickly a few times. F-86 seemed to be immune, but after recent updates it does the same thing, though not always. A rumble noise followed by mid RPM hang and EGT going through the roof was very noticeable. Don't know if it can damage the engine if done too often in DCS, but I sure wouldn't like to loose half of the thrust in the middle of a dogfight!

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Related question... During the cold start up, after engine is on, manual says to switch Isolating Valve switch on (located on left switch panel and is the only switch that is not getting activated during start up) - green light next to the switch should come in and there should be a drop in RPMs and temperature. On my end, turning the switch on does not produce any RPM/temperature fluctuations and, according to the manual, it means I have fuel automatic malfunction. Yet plane/engine operates normally. Has this switch been properly implemented?

Related question... During the cold start up, after engine is on, manual says to switch Isolating Valve switch on (located on left switch panel and is the only switch that is not getting activated during start up) - green light next to the switch should come in and there should be a drop in RPMs and temperature. On my end, turning the switch on does not produce any RPM/temperature fluctuations and, according to the manual, it means I have fuel automatic malfunction. Yet plane/engine operates normally. Has this switch been properly implemented?

Note that it doesn't say the RPM should drop 250, but it can drop no more than 250. It can also rise 50 up. It also says that in perfectly normal conditions (20 deg C, 760 mm Hg) it shouldn't change more than "minimal scale interval", which corresponds to +/-10 (ten) RPM. And at full throttle test it can either rise, drop, or remain constant. So it just looks we have our engine modelled as a perfectly new and tuned unit.

It's completely different thing than magneto check on prop planes, wich WILL drop RPM no matter if the engine is new or worn out.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 8 months later...

I've recently tested this again, and there are no compressor stalls or flameout possible while in flight... using valve ON can only introduce compressor stall on ground and even to achive that, you need several timed slams of throttle...

Kind of shame...