A-10A CBU-87 CCIP.

mattebubben

Ive Recently been getting back into the A-10A and ive been trying to use the CBU-87s but im finding no matter what i try the Bomblets constantly fall far short of Calculated point of Impact (when using CCIP) unless i drop them from below 200-250 Feet.

If i try to drop at altitudes above that they always fall short.

Am i doing something wrong or is it simply bugged =P.

CBU-87's in the A-10A? Completely porked!

We found the CBU-87's fell short well over a year ago and for awhile we just "aimed long" anticipating the impact was going to be short of the CCIP pipper. Now, sometime since, they have completely porked the CBU-87's so that, even if you do hit something, they won't even kill an unarmoured truck anymore. Infantry are the only targets the 87's work on ATM.

We have since switched to CBU-97's in the A-10A and although this is mainly a CCRP release weapon, we can get pretty good hits using CCIP starting from about 10,000 ft and diving rather steeply, releasing bombs at 3,000 to 4,000 ft.

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

• 4 months later...

I'm glad to hear it isn't just me. I thought I just suck and I am supposed to be compensating for wind. I hope ED does fix this. The A-10A is severely bugged atm and unusable.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

I remember taking A-10A during a multiplayer flight with friends, purely for the sake of curiosity, and making a fool of myself with CBUs falling way, way short of a group of vehicles I was aiming for, which then proceeded on with cutting me to shreds with 30mm fire :P.

That was like two years ago. So now if I fly A-10A (which happens very rarely in my case), it is mavericks, rockets and brrrt for me, and leave the bombs for other airframes.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I'm having the same in the A-10C as well. They never drop anywhere near the CCIP pipper and if I do get them on target then nothing happens, just a few sparklers on the ground!

• Windows 10 Home - 64 Bit
  • Intel Core i7-9770K
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti
  • Oculus Rift S

I remember taking A-10A during a multiplayer flight with friends, purely for the sake of curiosity, and making a fool of myself with CBUs falling way, way short of a group of vehicles I was aiming for, which then proceeded on with cutting me to shreds with 30mm fire :P.

That was like two years ago. So now if I fly A-10A (which happens very rarely in my case), it is mavericks, rockets and brrrt for me, and leave the bombs for other airframes.

So true with the CBU-87's. We now use CBU-97's instead. From high enough and with a steep dive you can use CCIP. But since they have improved simulated splash damage from iron bombs, vehicle kills can be made using Mk-82's x2 and Mk-84's in CCIP mode. Now you just have to hit close by.

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

• 3 months later...

Is it just me or even the CBU 97s are falling short using CCIP at 10000 ft altitude? I was trying the CAS mission on DCS2.1 Nevada and the bomblets fall waaaaaay short. On the other hand, using CCIP to drop MK 82 and Mk 84 worked perfectly.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Is it just me or even the CBU 97s are falling short using CCIP at 10000 ft altitude? I was trying the CAS mission on DCS2.1 Nevada and the bomblets fall waaaaaay short. On the other hand, using CCIP to drop MK 82 and Mk 84 worked perfectly.

Are you releasing the 97's at 10,000ft? That's way too high... the wind will blow them away and the dispersal from that altitude will make them ineffective. Start from 10,000ft altitude and get close enough to your targets to make a steep dive to get the CCIP pipper visible and on target. Don't forget to compensate for vehicle movement if they are not stationary. Drop when lower than 3,000 ft... then quickly get out of Dodge!

Are you releasing the 97's at 10,000ft? That's way too high... the wind will blow them away and the dispersal from that altitude will make them ineffective. Start from 10,000ft altitude and get close enough to your targets to make a steep dive to get the CCIP pipper visible and on target. Don't forget to compensate for vehicle movement if they are not stationary. Drop when lower than 3,000 ft... then quickly get out of Dodge!

Isn't the default HOF on the 97s around 6000ft? or is that just in the A-10C?? I am using CCRP with the 97s. I set the TDC on the target, lock , turn on ccrp mode, navigate the aircraft so the descending cue is in line with the fall line, and the bombs release automatically . Yet, they always fall waaaaay short. So far that probably if lucky, only one skeet would ever actually find a target.

Isn't the default HOF on the 97s around 6000ft? or is that just in the A-10C?? I am using CCRP with the 97s. I set the TDC on the target, lock , turn on ccrp mode, navigate the aircraft so the descending cue is in line with the fall line, and the bombs release automatically . Yet, they always fall waaaaay short. So far that probably if lucky, only one skeet would ever actually find a target.

:dunno: Perhaps the 97's perform differently in the "A" than they do in the "C"? I've found the lower the release altitude the better (if your situation will allow it). I don't have problems with the 97's hitting short with CCIP on moving vehicles (starting a steep dive from 10,000ft and releasing at 3,000ft or lower) or CCRP (releasing from level flight from 3,000ft or less) on stationary ones. I'm using release version 1.5.6, A-10A only, multiplayer only and not using 2.0/2.1 at all. Dunno what could be happening in your scenario. Try dropping from a lower altitude? I'm thinking maybe it's the wind? Anything around 3,000ft should still keep you fairly safe from AAA as long as you pull up and turn immediately after bomb release.

:dunno: Perhaps the 97's perform differently in the "A" than they do in the "C"? I've found the lower the release altitude the better (if your situation will allow it). I don't have problems with the 97's hitting short with CCIP on moving vehicles (starting a steep dive from 10,000ft and releasing at 3,000ft or lower) or CCRP (releasing from level flight from 3,000ft or less) on stationary ones. I'm using release version 1.5.6, A-10A only, multiplayer only and not using 2.0/2.1 at all. Dunno what could be happening in your scenario. Try dropping from a lower altitude? I'm thinking maybe it's the wind? Anything around 3,000ft should still keep you fairly safe from AAA as long as you pull up and turn immediately after bomb release.

Here is a video showing the issue. Is it something I am doing wrong?

U can see both CBU 97 and 87 employment and both CCRP and CCIP mode release

• Like 1

Witchking:

Your 1st drop of 97's: Released CCRP at 8600ft and you even aimed a bit long I see... the bombs look like they're gliding precisely towards your aiming point but they explode too high for the parachute sub-munitions to continue this trajectory and deploy directly over the tanks. You did get some hits though.

Your 2nd drop of 97's: Released CCIP at 8000ft, same. Also close enough for hits.

No comment on the 87's as it's well known that these have been falling short for years. ED knows this but have never fixed it. 87's are castrated now anyway, seldom destroying anything but infantry and the odd truck. Realistic? Maybe. Food for another topic? Dunno.

I also notice that you are using 2.0/2.1 NTTR map. I don't use this... only the release version 1.5.6. Maybe there's a difference here?

The performance that you show in your video for the 97's is exactly what we've been experiencing all along which is why we deploy all cluster bombs from the "A" at much lower altitudes. Maybe it isn't right or accurate compared to the A-10C, but is what we have to deal with in the Flaming Cliffs 3 simplified A-10A until ED decides to devote some time to fixing this. In the meantime try releasing your 97's from a much lower altitude (both CCRP and CCIP) and aiming long when using the 87's, and consider an even larger adjustment for moving targets.

But is it enough of a problem to submit this 97's issue as a bug report? I think so. There's already a few topics on the 87's falling short from the A-10A and I think it's been acknowledged by ED long ago. Perhaps you could add your video to a new post and report this as a CBU-97 bug and see what what happens? After all it's been an ongoing issue for some years now.

• Like 1

Witchking:

Your 1st drop of 97's: Released CCRP at 8600ft and you even aimed a bit long I see... the bombs look like they're gliding precisely towards your aiming point but they explode too high for the parachute sub-munitions to continue this trajectory and deploy directly over the tanks. You did get some hits though.

Your 2nd drop of 97's: Released CCIP at 8000ft, same. Also close enough for hits.

No comment on the 87's as it's well known that these have been falling short for years. ED knows this but have never fixed it. 87's are castrated now anyway, seldom destroying anything but infantry and the odd truck. Realistic? Maybe. Food for another topic? Dunno.

I also notice that you are using 2.0/2.1 NTTR map. I don't use this... only the release version 1.5.6. Maybe there's a difference here?

The performance that you show in your video for the 97's is exactly what we've been experiencing all along which is why we deploy all cluster bombs from the "A" at much lower altitudes. Maybe it isn't right or accurate compared to the A-10C, but is what we have to deal with in the Flaming Cliffs 3 simplified A-10A until ED decides to devote some time to fixing this. In the meantime try releasing your 97's from a much lower altitude (both CCRP and CCIP) and aiming long when using the 87's, and consider an even larger adjustment for moving targets.

But is it enough of a problem to submit this 97's issue as a bug report? I think so. There's already a few topics on the 87's falling short from the A-10A and I think it's been acknowledged by ED long ago. Perhaps you could add your video to a new post and report this as a CBU-97 bug and see what what happens? After all it's been an ongoing issue for some years now.

Good to know its not just me. Thanks. Yea. I'll post it as a bug report in the proper area. Hopefully it will get fixed someday. :thumbup:

• 11 months later...