Offline Mode (2.5.1 and beyond)

I think you need to bring your laptop back to online mode, close DCS, and then start DCS on the desktop. Have you tried that? Because when you close DCS you basically logs off, and can then log into DCS on another computer. While offline are supposed keep you logged on even when you're computer is offline.

Now, I have no idea why this worked for you when you went the other way. Because the way you described it shouldn't have worked. Or I may be completely wrong about this, as I was going to be offline for three months from before Christmas to February, so I put DCS in offline mode, and took my computer with me. But alas. It stopped after three days anyway. I will not put into words my disappointment, but I will sure test this in advance next time. I swear!

Hope you sort it out!

Cheers

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I think you are not supposed to have offline modus activated on two different PCs at the same time as this causes issues: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/authorization/#3300385

You might have to contact ED support as described in the link above.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I think you need to bring your laptop back to online mode, close DCS, and then start DCS on the desktop. Have you tried that? Because when you close DCS you basically logs off, and can then log into DCS on another computer. While offline are supposed keep you logged on even when you're computer is offline.

Now, I have no idea why this worked for you when you went the other way. Because the way you described it shouldn't have worked. Or I may be completely wrong about this, as I was going to be offline for three months from before Christmas to February, so I put DCS in offline mode, and took my computer with me. But alas. It stopped after three days anyway. I will not put into words my disappointment, but I will sure test this in advance next time. I swear!

Hope you sort it out!

Cheers

Thank you for the advice. I created a ticket and am getting help from support.

• 6 months later...
On 10/23/2018 at 12:43 AM, A2597 said:

So glad I saw this thread,

My dad is very interested in this sim (I got him playing it in VR at my house) but he doesn't have internet to his house now. (LTE to his phone and Ipad covers his needs). Been trying to see how best to set up his system for it, and this will help considerably!

Easy solution - and DCS has the licensing in mind for the likes of you!

Simply purchase the modules he wants, activate it while tethered via LTE on the phone and then enter offline mode. No need to ever worry about it again. (Although keep in mind that at over 50GB to download to start with - there needs to be a connection to the internet at the beginning anyway).

As someone who has been on both sides of this problem and someone who loves to come up with better solutions - I am hard pressed to find a better solution that will fit the general population of DCS users that doesn't either disadvantage ED's copyright concerns or vise versa. For the very few instances where someone's computer crashes, is stolen, etc - if ED are willing to 'flick the switch' their end with a support email - then there really isn't a problem. If ED are denying the few customers who end up in this unlikely but possible senario then I could see a reason to be concerned.

I'd be very interested to see practical suggestions that come up with a better solution that doesn't increase pirating risk. 

Personally - I actually think the perpetual offline use is generous of ED and I very much appreciate the option. Considering other's (such as Adobe) do this for limited times only (30 days is it?) - it seems that ED have been quite kind here.

Sure - personally never want to have to deal with licensing protection at all again - ever - but in this current world where DCS is used primarily as single player - it makes it unlikely to be any different. (it would probably be different if 95% of use was online, but it seems most purchase is for offline use - right where the piracy risk is the greatest).

On 6/6/2020 at 8:08 AM, MAXsenna said:

Hope you sort it out!

Cheers

Yikes - when you put DCS into offline mode - it failed to work after 3 days? That is concerning. Did you ever get to the bottom of what occurred there? 

Makes me wonder if I can test it myself to see if it's working as expected (but being mostly an online player - not sure I can go 3 days without a stint) 😉

Yikes - when you put DCS into offline mode - it failed to work after 3 days? That is concerning. Did you ever get to the bottom of what occurred there? 

Makes me wonder if I can test it myself to see if it's working as expected (but being mostly an online player - not sure I can go 3 days without a stint)
No, never bothered to test again.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk