Loving the TPOD - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-08-2019, 03:25 PM   #21
Arkangel

I have been able to handle military optronic systems, and we must know how to differentiate between detecting and identifying. At certain distances you can detect a vehicle, but not knowing what vehicle it is (blurred image). I imagine that TPOD will also have its limits. I see it real that at certain distances we are not able to distinguish the units.
Arkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:23 PM   #22
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
I have been able to handle military optronic systems, and we must know how to differentiate between detecting and identifying. At certain distances you can detect a vehicle, but not knowing what vehicle it is (blurred image). I imagine that TPOD will also have its limits. I see it real that at certain distances we are not able to distinguish the units.
The technical term for what you are talking about is called "johnson criteria", which differentiates the ranges at which you can detect and identify things, also known as DRI. You can look up certain stanag docs which talk about how systems like this are tested if you like light technical reading (hope thats vague enough for forum rules, even though they are totally open source).

DRI: ranges, typically Detection is typically possible at significantly longer ranges than R/I with thermal systems, BUT, background clutter in images can make it quite difficult.

1. Detection: Detect a target (i.e. a few pixels ~2-3)
2. Recognition: Tell roughly what it is, a plane, train, or automobile (i.e. alot more pixels usually in the teens or 20's)
3. Identification: Oh that looks like toyota tacoma (ish). (significantly more more pixels depending on what it is)

It does look like ED is throwing a distance based blur filter on the F18 tpod images (I haven't used the lantrin in the f14 but thought they were doing that too). Which I think does help "realism".

I was using the TPOD last night on GAW at night/morning and found that digging out targets in an urban background sucked alot, which it should, even though the images overall looked really wrong to me.

Last edited by Harlikwin; 08-08-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Harlikwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:41 PM   #23
SmirkingGerbil

TGP . . . TGP . . . TGP, what the heck is a TPOD
SmirkingGerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #24
Mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmirkingGerbil View Post
TGP . . . TGP . . . TGP, what the heck is a TPOD
Yep, I know. Saying "T" - "POD" sounds much better to me though.

Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:03 PM   #25
Gianky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
It does look like ED is throwing a distance based blur filter on the F18 tpod images (I haven't used the lantrin in the f14 but thought they were doing that too). Which I think does help "realism".

I wouldn't have any problem with that, if only they did it with all the Litenings in the game... right now it just makes me crazy that the A-10 has better optics than the Hornet (I was waiting for something like the former...)
Gianky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #26
SmirkingGerbil

LOL, no worries. I am just a Hawg fella, and hard for me to reorient to new acronyms for similar systems.
SmirkingGerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:11 AM   #27
Wizard_03

I say Lpod