Loving the TPOD

Mule

What’s the difference between the Atflir and the TPod?

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

As far as I know.

• A substantial increase in target detection/recognition range
  • Pinpoint accuracy and assessment from longer standoff ranges
  • Superior EO/IR imagery

Taken from the Raytheon website.

You mean that ATFLIR is superior over the LITENING, based on that points? Because Im not sure, I think that ATFLIR and LITENING have similar capabilities and we even won't get the difference.

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..

You mean that ATFLIR is superior over the LITENING, based on that points? Because Im not sure, I think that ATFLIR and LITENING have similar capabilities and we even won't get the difference.

I see what you mean. However, in that case all they are going to do is change the name and let you put it on a different pylon?

Is that what your saying? because it sounds like they are working on something a bit more than that.

I think one of the main things is going to be about the amount of information it can deliver to the pilot. Just look at anything online using that tech and you will see what I mean.

Edited by Mule

I think the current Tpod released this week is only a stop gap until work on the new system is done, with marked improvement with IR, clarity and performance coming with new Tpod

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

I have seen some people complaining about its limited capability so far, but I really like it. I'm glad they released it even though it is not done. Its still very powerful. Imagine when we get ground radar and TWS?

Yep. Ground radar. Not only great for the Hornet but some ground breaking stuff for ED and opens up so much more for other modules.

:thumbup:

I see what you mean. However, in that case all they are going to do is change the name and let you put it on a different pylon?

Is that what your saying? because it sounds like they are working on something a bit more than that.

I think one of the main things is going to be about the amount of information it can deliver to the pilot. Just look at anything online using that tech and you will see what I mean.

No, I mean in real world LITENING 2 AT and ATFLIR have similar capabilities, they are same generation tpods. But what we will see modelled in DCS, is other thing.

Edited by DeathAngel1

Does anyone notice the FLIR resolution is much worse on the litening in the hornet than warthog?

This a bug?

If anything, I find it more realistic. I think that the IR picture on the A-10C is a little too clear compared to the real thing.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Does anyone notice the FLIR resolution is much worse on the litening in the hornet than warthog?

This a bug?

No, its OK in daytime, but I think that in nightime image is very bad, and its very hard to see where the targets is when its night. I hope night image is WIP still.

If anything, I find it more realistic. I think that the IR picture on the A-10C is a little too clear compared to the real thing.

Agreed. In general I'm very much looking forward to whatever they do the FLIR model to make it actually look more like an actual FLIR image.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

This a bug?

I don't know if it's more realistic, like the other guys are saying, but yes, you are correct, the resolution on the Hornet FLIR is worse than the one on the A-10, despite them being the same.

I don't know if it's more realistic, like the other guys are saying, but yes, you are correct, the resolution on the Hornet FLIR is worse than the one on the A-10, despite them being the same.

Wonder if its different on the harrier too. And also wondering "why"

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Wonder if its different on the harrier too. And also wondering "why"
I think the Harrier is more or less as clear as the A-10C, but with a green filter applied. Slightly lighter green than the Hornet's.

I think the devs purposefully applied a blurring filter or something like that to the Hornet's FLIR image, to make look closer to the real thing.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I think the Harrier is more or less as clear as the A-10C, but with a green filter applied. Slightly lighter green than the Hornet's.

I think the devs purposefully applied a blurring filter or something like that to the Hornet's FLIR image, to make look closer to the real thing.

Well the main thing that bugs me that stuff that is hot, is cold, and stuff that should show as hot shows as cold half the time.

I have been able to handle military optronic systems, and we must know how to differentiate between detecting and identifying. At certain distances you can detect a vehicle, but not knowing what vehicle it is (blurred image). I imagine that TPOD will also have its limits. I see it real that at certain distances we are not able to distinguish the units.

I have been able to handle military optronic systems, and we must know how to differentiate between detecting and identifying. At certain distances you can detect a vehicle, but not knowing what vehicle it is (blurred image). I imagine that TPOD will also have its limits. I see it real that at certain distances we are not able to distinguish the units.

The technical term for what you are talking about is called "johnson criteria", which differentiates the ranges at which you can detect and identify things, also known as DRI. You can look up certain stanag docs which talk about how systems like this are tested if you like light technical reading (hope thats vague enough for forum rules, even though they are totally open source).

DRI: ranges, typically Detection is typically possible at significantly longer ranges than R/I with thermal systems, BUT, background clutter in images can make it quite difficult.

1. Detection: Detect a target (i.e. a few pixels ~2-3)

2. Recognition: Tell roughly what it is, a plane, train, or automobile (i.e. alot more pixels usually in the teens or 20's)

3. Identification: Oh that looks like toyota tacoma (ish). (significantly more more pixels depending on what it is)

It does look like ED is throwing a distance based blur filter on the F18 tpod images (I haven't used the lantrin in the f14 but thought they were doing that too). Which I think does help "realism".

I was using the TPOD last night on GAW at night/morning and found that digging out targets in an urban background sucked alot, which it should, even though the images overall looked really wrong to me.

Edited by Harlikwin

:megalol:TGP . . . TGP . . . TGP, what the heck is a TPOD:megalol:

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

It does look like ED is throwing a distance based blur filter on the F18 tpod images (I haven't used the lantrin in the f14 but thought they were doing that too). Which I think does help "realism".

I wouldn't have any problem with that, if only they did it with all the Litenings in the game... right now it just makes me crazy that the A-10 has better optics than the Hornet (I was waiting for something like the former...)