F16 joystick/HOTAS discussion - Page 7 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-11-2019, 03:35 PM   #61
BuzzU+
Posting Rights Suspended

I've already said if TM would release an updated Cougar it would be an easy way for them to cover the Viper. Hall sensors and a no slop gimbal would be nice. USB of course.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #62
RaceFuel85

I believe Thrustmaster did say they're seriously exploring updating their F-16 throttle.
RaceFuel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:13 PM   #63
Revelation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceFuel85 View Post
I believe Thrustmaster did say they're seriously exploring updating their F-16 throttle.
They did. The only details they provided is that it will not be ready by the time the DCS Viper goes into EA.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:02 AM   #64
Tazman

I wish VKB or Virpil would create an F-16 HOTAS!
That would be awesome and in a quality level that's far beyond TM's league!
They would be collector's items!
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:09 AM   #65
GreatWhiteHype

Out of curiosity, what makes VKB or Virpil better than TM on a quality level? I have a TM Cougar setup and do not own any VKB or Virpil products. Looking for an honest comparison of: quality of construction, materials used, fit/finish, and software if applicable. If I am going to dump $300 plus on a stick/throttle combo, I want the best. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by GreatWhiteHype; 06-12-2019 at 09:07 PM.
GreatWhiteHype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:34 AM   #66
rome57

Can you please share some info on the Virpil if it is really that good please.
rome57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:22 PM   #67
M1Combat

It's all for naught when the magnetic stuff gets mature.

Also...

X65F until then.

Nvidia RTX2080 (HTC Vive)
MSI Z77 MPower
Core i5-3570K
24GB G-Skill Trident-X

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals
(UCR - mapping throttle and clutch pedals together to form a rudder Axis)
M1Combat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:18 PM   #68
BuzzU+
Posting Rights Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rome57 View Post
Can you please share some info on the Virpil if it is really that good please.
Why don't you just Google their website?
Old 06-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #69
Kayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
They did. The only details they provided is that it will not be ready by the time the DCS Viper goes into EA.
Where did they say that? Was it in an article, interview, video?
Old 06-12-2019, 08:54 PM   #70
Gman109

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteHype View Post
Out of curiosity, what makes VKB or Virpil better than TM on a quality level? I have a TM Cougar setup and do not own any VKB or Virpil products. Looking for an honest comparison of: quality of construction, materials used, fit/finish, and software if applicable. If I am going to dump $300 plus a stick/throttle combo, I want the best. Thank you in advance.

I own several of all the above. My opinion is that the TM Warthog gimbal is sort of like a 1989 Hyundai. It'll work for a year, and then start crapping out. That's been my experience with 4 WH sticks so far. Every single one has needed to be pulled apart, have the ring replaced, and be thoroughly cleaned and re greased properly. Even after that it's still a crappy gimbal IMO, but at least it works.

Now simply Google VKB/Virpil sticks and have a look at how their internals/gimbals are constructed. Much better design, massively improved materials, etc etc etc.

The one thing that TM does have is a nice metal WH/Cougar stick. The metal stick/buttons are well built and sturdy - it's just the heart of that stick/system, the gimbal, is crapola. And good luck getting support after your 1 year warranty is up, and even before, it's been my experience that it is a major PITA to deal with them. Exact opposite experience with Virpil, VKB as well, although I've not needed them for much other than software explanation. Virpil my only issue was minor and just a connector that had been installed the wrong way or been twisted backwards by customs. Still, I've had Virpil within 3 hours inside my PC fixing software issues after filling out a ticket.

IMO if you want a great setup for the upcoming F16, get yourself a WH or Cougar stick, and a Virpil Warbrd base. The feeling with stock springs/cams and a metal TM stick is absolutely perfect, and your entire stick portion of the hotas is 90% metal. Good times. Then get a Cougar throttle and mod it with the sensors/parts available here. That's what I've done at least.

Primay DCS Systems (3): i9 9900k@5.0/2 2080tiNVlink/970Pro SSD/Asus PG27uq 4k@144hz/AlienWare 34" 2k@120hz/T50 Mon"geese"(2), 2 Virpil Wrbrd/CM2/Deltas, VKB GF2Revb(2)Tm Warthog(many)VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Pedals/Virpil Throttle/CH Fighterstick/Throttle/peds

VR-Rift S x2, Odyssey+, Pimax5k
Gman109 is offline   Reply With Quote