Why does the AI like to go vertical?

TheHighwayman

I've created a variety of missions to practice my BFM in the F-5. I do a lot of F-5 vs. F-5 still. But I've also done vs. MiG 21, and F-4.

No matter who my opponent seems to be, after the pass, they just love to go vertical, despite the fact the F-5 isn't well suited for the vertical fight.

1. Why the affinity for this as a first move after tha pass?

2. How do you like to counter it?

As far as I've been able to tell, the AI peeks at your instruments to fight you. In other words if you're going slower than it, it will know the instant this happens and it will respond by going vertical because you won't be able to catch it.

I guess this is done because it would hard to code a real mind for the AI, but it's too perfect and predictable.

As far as countering, I just follow the AI's loop. Eventually I bring guns/missiles on it and kill it. Sometimes it takes a few loops and you might have to unload at the bottom of the loop to build up speed and pull a hard instantaneous turn to bring weapons to bear.

• Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Edited by VampireNZ
  • Like 1

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ha! Just got the book today, reading pg. 155 trying to pick out something relevant.

I tested the idea that the AI goes vertical when you're slower. I can now confirm this. When I'm faster, he turns horizontally.

So, now it's just a matter of practice.

Thanks!

If the AI, or even a human opponent, reads you as slower than they are and subject to being defensive from their moving into the vertical, following their loop isn't necessarily the correct response as a function of timing- especially if you're substantially slower. You'll crest earlier, and lower than they will. Post merge, with relative turn circles close, it's better to initiate a moderate climbing turn around the bandit's vector. This way, you can trade less net energy than a straight vertical move, force his hand in trying to keep sight on you (less important against AI than a live body), and maintain a defensive reserve to pull up into him if he tries for the immediate nose-on. And if you can keep the climbing spiral close enough to his vector- ie, making his climb the center of your turn circle with a radius he can't match as he comes over the top, you don't even have to try and point at him, because he can't prosecute you on this pass.

But that doesn't mean you can't reverse and put your HUD on him when he's stuck nose low once he's passed you.

Keep your energy state until you have to spend it, especially if you're slower. If he makes a mistake, you don't have to trade in to maintain a defensive posture; he's already hurt himself-

let the problem work itself out.

• Like 1