Posting animated GIFs

Yurgon

Since there were a couple of animated GIFs posted in the Photos/Videos thread (page 1358 at default view of 10 posts per page), I think we should figure out the forum's policy regarding these.

Personally, I have at least 3 claims against animated GIFs:

1) Current browsers don't include playback controls (play/pause/rewind/fast-forward)

2) File sizes are very large compared to videos

3) Unlike videos on Youtube/Vimeo etcetera, GIFs don't scale (480p, 720p and so on)

I see at least one question open (asked by Cybermat47):

Are .gifs okay if we put them in spoilers?

According to a test-post of mine and checking the HTTP requests that Chrome 44 on Windows 7 performs when first opening that link, spoilers don't actually prevent the browser from requesting images wrapped inside spoiler-tags, but this may very well depend on the browser, the platform (desktop/mobile), the type of data connection (LAN/Wifi/mobile), so it would be good to get some more input on the matter.

• 1 year later...

One can stop loading gifs by disabling images under visible post elements in the options menu. But that would effectively block any and all images, not just gifs. Is it within the realm of technical possibility to create another option that would specifically target code with a .gif suffix?

Check my F-15C guide

Is it within the realm of technical possibility to create another option that would specifically target code with a .gif suffix?

Since that would require changes by the forum software creator/vendor, which is not ED, then technically, yes, but realistically, no.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: