Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

Hi guys !

Quick question regarding the Rift : I'm currently considering buying one and I've been concerned about the lack of free USB ports on my computer. With mouse, keyboard, the warthog and a rudder, I'm only left with one free port.

How do you manage this ? Is a USB hub viable for sims peripherals ?

I recommend a good hub. I got this one https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00BIDTU04/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , and extremely happy with it. It has a power button, so when I don't want to use Rift and sensors - I just turn it off.

Also, if you want a solid 5V power delivered to your devices - try to buy a hub that is powered by 12V power adapter (like the one in the link above).

Edited by sea2sky

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

74e7b55c484f471e56f92b4fd5cde500.png

Have been using this hub with no issues. I have it velcroed to the top of my desk and I have all of my flight gear plugged in to it - that way when I want to fold down my Wheel Stand Pro with all my flight gear on it to hide it away, I don't have to reach around back of my PC and deal with all of the wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Hi guys !

Quick question regarding the Rift : I'm currently considering buying one and I've been concerned about the lack of free USB ports on my computer. With mouse, keyboard, the warthog and a rudder, I'm only left with one free port.

One thing I didn't consider when I got my Rift is the hdmi connection. I used a hdmi cable for my monitor and of course when I got my Rift I needed to use the port for the Rift. Fortunately after digging around in my loft I found a vga cable which I now use for the monitor. You may of course already be using a vga cable?

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

One thing I didn't consider when I got my Rift is the hdmi connection. I used a hdmi cable for my monitor and of course when I got my Rift I needed to use the port for the Rift. Fortunately after digging around in my loft I found a vga cable which I now use for the monitor. You may of course already be using a vga cable?

does your video card have a display port? if so, buy an HDMI to DVI connector. Plug your display port adapter into the video card, and then run an HDMI to DVI between your monitor and display port adapter. I've been using that...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Hi guys,

is there a way to make preview window even smaller than it is by default? I find it completely useless and I'm sure it does eat up a bit of resource. I will try a monitor config lua tonight, but I feel it won't work.

Thanks!

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

Hi guys,

is there a way to make preview window even smaller than it is by default? I find it completely useless and I'm sure it does eat up a bit of resource. I will try a monitor config lua tonight, but I feel it won't work.

Thanks!

No overhead associated with it, it's just a mirror image of your left eye...it's already been rendered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Hi guys !

A USB hub would be a pretty bad option I guess. You should try to look into a pcie expansion card instead. Have a look at this page on the Oculus support website where they are addressing the issue. They're even telling exactly what expansion card to get. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A USB hub would be a pretty bad option I guess. You should try to look into a pcie expansion card instead. Have a look at this page on the Oculus support website where they are addressing the issue. They're even telling exactly what expansion card to get. :)

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure Inateck is quite grateful for this free advertising from Oculus.

Let's not get crazy with buying extra hardware when there is really no need for it unless you need a lot of high throughput ports or have some issues with ports built into your mainboard.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

The Inatech card with 5 ports works perfectly with the rift.

Oculus tested and recommends this little card for a reason.

You will need the high throughput ports. Motherboard ports probably wont get it done and will most likely lead to frustration when setting it up.

Make it easy on yourself and Get it right the first time.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

You will need the high throughput ports. Motherboard ports probably wont get it done and will most likely lead to frustration when setting it up.

Now you're making stuff up.

Some older USB controllers are not compatible with the Rift, but this can be checked with compatibility tool beforehand: https://support.oculus.com/1357437467617798

Even Oculus recommends connecting the sensor to motherboard USB 2.0 port if the USB 3.0 is not availabe:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-balancing-bandwidth-on-usb/

The Inateck or other PCI card is an easy alternative if such problems arise, but is hardly a mandatory item. I never had any issues with my built-in ports.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

The Inatech card with 5 ports works perfectly with the rift.

Oculus tested and recommends this little card for a reason.

Make it easy on yourself and Get it right the first time.

Actually the 4 ports one has more bandwith per port. So in theory you're safer with this model. Is it really needed for the rift to work flawlessly? Maybe not, I don't know.

Now you're making stuff up.

Some older USB controllers are not compatible with the Rift, but this can be checked with compatibility tool beforehand: https://support.oculus.com/1357437467617798

Even Oculus recommends connecting the sensor to motherboard USB 2.0 port if the USB 3.0 is not availabe:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-balancing-bandwidth-on-usb/

The Inateck or other PCI card is an easy alternative if such problems arise, but is hardly a mandatory item. I never had any issues with my built-in ports.

It's not mandatory that's for sure. Just a good option if you really happen to need extra usb ports. I just think at around 20 ish bucks it's far better than buying a hub.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Does anyone have an idea what can cause this flickering of the picture? I didn`t have it before the rift, but now It happens all the time, while I am rolling on the ground, or when I`m shooting with the guns.

It looks like my position goes off for a second then it comes back. But it is very odd that it is most prone while I am on the ground or when I am shooting. Under normal flying it rarely comes up.

I use one sensor with the rift, plugged into a 2.0 USB port on the main board.

Here is a short video example.

Edited by VO101_MMaister

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

KG13 Control Grip Building

Control Stick and Rudder Design

i7 8700K, Asus Z370-E, 1080 Ti, 32Gb RAM, EVO960 500Gb, Oculus CV1

and with TWO sensors

is it the same thing ?

It is quite a pain to install the secound one due to the lack of space for it, but I will figure it out if it might be a solution.

I think this flickering is connected to cockpit shaking somehow.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It is quite a pain to install the secound one due to the lack of space for it, but I will figure it out if it might be a solution.

I think this flickering is connected to cockpit shaking somehow.

Ok, I finally sorted it out:)

I installed the second sensor but it didn`t make a difference.

Because the flickering was happening while there was some cockpit shaking I suspected that it might had been the simshaker software. So I disabled it and Voila! The flickering was gone.

Because I had never read about an issue like this, I thought that it is probably my hardware`s and not the simshaker`s fault. And indeed it was my cheapo USB soundcard which was used by the simshaker to power the buttkicker. This USB soundcard was in the same mobo USB port cluster as one of the oculus sensors. Probably due to bad shielding it interfered with it and corrupted the sensor`s signal when a strong simshaker signal went out thru it.

Now the soundcard is moved into an usb hub and all is fine:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Because the flickering was happening while there was some cockpit shaking I suspected that it might had been the simshaker software. So I disabled it and Voila! The flickering was gone.

Because I had never read about an issue like this, I thought that it is probably my hardware`s and not the simshaker`s fault. And indeed it was my cheapo USB soundcard which was used by the simshaker to power the buttkicker. This USB soundcard was in the same mobo USB port cluster as one of the oculus sensors. Probably due to bad shielding it interfered with it and corrupted the sensor`s signal when a strong simshaker signal went out thru it.

Ah nice to know! I put this in our SSA FAQ!

Good find.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

I have a i7 6700k and a 580gtx 3gb .

Wil it run a rift dk2 ?

What is the experience with dk2 in dcs?

Ill ask this because of the huge price gab with the cv1 .

The dk2 suits my budget atm until I be able to go for the cv1.:smilewink:

Ty for explaining it to me.

Edited by Baracuda

In my case DK2 was adequate for racing sims but not quite there for DCS.

There wasnt VR zoom present when i tried it with DK2 so you might be able to get more out of it now than i did.

I think you will be able to run it with 580 but most if not all gfx settings will have to be on low.

When your fps drop or stutter happens in VR, it will not only make your gaming unpleasant but it will also make you physically ill/sick.

One more big difference for me betewwn dk2 and cv1 is ASW. It is mostly ON in DCS, giving you 45 fps with cv1 and stuff seem smooth. But DK2 is 75hz and ASW will produce only 37.5 FPS and the experience is not as smooth as it is with 45 FPS.

I was not happy how DCS worked and looked with DK2 and since the immersion of it spoiled the monitor gaming for me, i only raced and didnt fly at all until i bought CV1.

Yup, I would agree. Save the money for CV1 instead of buying the DK2. Unless it's for $25 USD or something. Anything else would be a waste. Better to put it towards the CV1 fund.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I am currently running a GTX 970. How much of a performance increase would I see if I upgraded to a 1080ti?

When I went from a 970 to a 1080, it was big (in 2D). I didn't have my Rift at the time. My 1080 is working just fine with the Rift. With a 1080Ti, I would imagine it's quite a leap. But I'll let the 1080Ti crowd give their testimonials. I believe DCS 2.x is still a challenge performance wise, (but will improve over time).

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control