Permanent mod for Quatermaster cockpit

Redglyph

Hello!

I tried the very good Quatermaster's English cockpit mod (metric variant), but since it replaces the existing Textures\MiG-21_Cockpit.zip file, it is removed on every update - with an extra 68 MB file to download each time. It's annoying, here's a way to install it permanently - at least, I hope.

I'm not entering a debate of the language those cockpits should have. I just find it easier to be able to read the labels in English when learning the aircraft, even though I rather like having it in either the mixed Russian / English of the incomplete translation provided with the module, or pure Russian, for immersion.

Quatermaster's mod also has the advantage it fixes the wrong channel numbering on the radio list. Easier than fixing all the frequencies of the existing missions, and other add-on kneeboards already feature the existing channels anyway.

In summary, the description.lua (Liveries\Mig-21_CP\custom directory) contains a list of texture elements, in which:

• the first item is the name expected by the model, it cannot change and tells which texture is to be changed,
  • the third item is the filename, without the .dds, and relative to the path of the description.lua file (you can take files from other directories)
  • the fourth item is false if the file is to be replaced, true if it has to be taken from the MiG-21_Cockpit.zip file in the texture directory.

So all I did was to create a description.lua that points to the existing textures, but I had to remove the non-English ones that were still in QM's mod, and point to the English directory provided by Leatherneck. Easy :p

Anyway, I hope it helps! :)

INSTALLING THE MOD - option I

To simplify things, and hopefully without upsetting QM, I gathered just the necessary files in one archive, uploaded on the DCS server.

• Download the custom package
  • Extract the custom.7z package and replace DCS' Mods\aircraft\MIG-21bis\Liveries\Mig-21_CP\custom directory

Or...

INSTALLING THE MOD - option II

This simply uses the files in QM's mod, and adds the missing description.lua so all the files can be put in the custom directory.

• Download QM's mod
  • Extract QM's mod a first time, then extract MiG-21_Cockpit.zip (found in the \Mods\aircraft\MiG-21BIS\Textures subdirectory of the extracted archive)
  • copy the textures just extracted from MiG-21_Cockpit.zip, to DCS' Mods\aircraft\MIG-21bis\Liveries\Mig-21_CP\custom directory
  • download the file attached to this post, and extract it
  • copy the description.lua just extracted to DCS' Mods\aircraft\MIG-21bis\Liveries\Mig-21_CP\custom directory, replacing the existing one (keep a copy, just in case)

So your DCS' Mods\aircraft\MIG-21bis\Liveries\Mig-21_CP\custom directory should contain (I'm not listing the whole directory):

_READ_ME_EN.txt

description.lua

Mig-21-cockpit_001.tga.dds

Mig-21-cockpit_002.bmp.dds

[...]

When you launch DCS, select the custom livery in the main settings menu, in the "misc" tab for the Mig-21Bis.

That should do it. Check the correct installation by running an instant mission or your favourite one, look at the radio channel list, at the warning lights, at the gauges, everything should be in English.

Edited by Redglyph

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you like it, it's mostly the work of Quatermaster, I just re-assembled the necessary files (which allows to switch between cockpits again).

Unfortunately it's false advertising on my part - clickabledata.lua is still removed on every update. It's a bug, I proposed a solution to LN for that but got no reply yet, we'll have to wait they tackle this specific ticket :)

So just keep a copy of this file, or you'll find it here after an update (last _backup.* directory):

<DCS install dir>\_backup.*\Mods\aircraft\MIG-21bis\Cockpit\clickabledata.lua

The other texture files are not removed.

You may also want to check the fix for the buttons, if you're learning the Mig and want to keep the same left/right mouse click meaning as the other aircraft.

It's a great, iconic aircraft, hope you'll have fun with it! For information, it seems the release/beta version has more updates than the alpha 2.0 version, which is older.

Edited by Redglyph

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Is this mod creating a drop down list to change cockpit textures to Mig21Bis Special tab like the other modules have?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Unfortunately this drop-down feature never made it to the Mig-21Bis. Instead you have to tick the "Custom cockpit", so the same idea is there.

You can also select the language, it's a separate settings. They're just the existing settings, the mod does not change that.

Now that you mention it though... it should be possible to modify that as well.

Edited by Redglyph

We can only hope one day the Mig21 will be inline with the other modules in this regard.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I had a brief look, it must be possible but requires quite a few modifications in multiple files, I don't think I want to commit to that right now. Usually people won't switch cockpits too often anyway.

What I wonder is how this will organized once there are several theatres in the same version. For example, the note with the radio and RSBN channels will have to be a kneeboard. Well, even the kneeboard will have to be configurable...

• 6 months later...

Thanks ;) great work!

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

(old news) M3 fixed the problem in 1.5.6.4818, now this cockpit can be selected from a drop-down list in the settings :)

Not sure Quatermaster's cockpit still works correctly with 2.1, I'll test that later at some point when things get more stable.

i fly with 1.5.6 and work ;)

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

... since it replaces the existing Textures\MiG-21_Cockpit.zip file, it is removed on every update - with an extra 68 MB file to download each time. It's annoying, here's a way to install it permanently - at least, I hope.

Since this is just a Mod, another way of doing this is to just use a ModManager, like JSGME or OVGME, so you can deactivate the Mod before an Update (along with every other Mod you may be using) and then reactivate it afterwards.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Since this is just a Mod, another way of doing this is to just use a ModManager, like JSGME or OVGME, so you can deactivate the Mod before an Update (along with every other Mod you may be using) and then reactivate it afterwards.

Yes, good remark, that would be another way, especially for those who have several mods.

Fortunately now they added this great dropdown in the settings and it's not necessary anymore. I just haven't tried in 2.1 to see how it looks with the new updates in the graphics engine, last time it reset to the default cockpit and I left it like that.

In any case, glad some are still enjoying it (and once again it's not my work, I barely reorganized the files) :)

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, i tried the mod in 2.1 first with JSGM and now with this method, but for some reason i can't get it to work properly. parts of the cockpit are changed but all the gauges are still in Russian. Anyone know what's wrong in 2.1? It works flawless in 1.5.7

Hey guys, i tried the mod in 2.1 first with JSGM and now with this method, but for some reason i can't get it to work properly. parts of the cockpit are changed but all the gauges are still in Russian. Anyone know what's wrong in 2.1? It works flawless in 1.5.7

Most probably the settings is back to default. Also, M3LLC has added a new drop-down to let the user choose between several custom/default cockpits.

Check the main menu settings, in the "special" category, click on the Mig-21bis, you'll see the drop-down. Select "custom" or whatever folder name you have used for this cockpit livery. That should do it :)

I tried using the drop down, it applies most textures files and most of the cockpit works, but all the gauges in use the standard Russian texture. That's the thing that confuses me

Ah, even with the language settings to English, you're correct. I was looking at the labels, and what must be the only gauge with Latin characters :D

In any case, it's pretty ugly, even the standard English cockpit has a problem with the labels:

1.jpg.b679c932035edafb572a4ad543f377e6.jpg

• 5 months later...

I happen to know Quartermaster, he's in a small group I fly with on a private server - he said he's updated and fixed his cockpit mod the best he can to comply with 2.5, I've tested it and it all works properly in metric or standard - however he had the following to say w/ regard to apparent bugs that Magnitude 3 are still working on:

The developer still has yet to fix instrument gauge background illumination (it appears to be a code issue) as well as upper instrument panel shininess/specular/normal highlight issues on labels - this also appears to be either a geometry or coding issue, I attempted to fix both with texture tweals, and have been unable to. This is the best that can be done at this time for a full MiG-21bis cockpit in English, feel free to share the GDrive link with anyone, but I won't publish this on User Files till the developer fully completes bringing the MiG-21bis cockpit up to 2.5 compliance in full.

-QM

DOWNLOAD LINK: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ra8l6TxHsb38C1YoqOMmKE_afiJA5vGP

Quartermaster also noted that if anyone at Magnitude 3 would be willing to let him assist in texture work to help bring up the MiG-21bis pit to 2.5 compliance, he'd be happy to help, I think he had spoken to Nicholas Dackard (sp?) in the past, I remember reading the thread, but... anyway, this looks like its a pretty good fix for now!

Edited by Schwarzfeld

Quartermaster also noted that if anyone at Magnitude 3 would be willing to let him assist in texture work to help bring up the MiG-21bis pit to 2.5 compliance, he'd be happy to help, I think he had spoken to Nicholas Dackard (sp?) in the past, I remember reading the thread, but... anyway, this looks like its a pretty good fix for now!

Fantastic!

For a permanent fix I don't think they currently have the time, I've been proposing a fix for the switches for one year (fully tested, no impact on missions and so on, like the one for the A-10C) and they haven't had the time to integrate the new file.

However, they have recently added the possibility to put custom textures which are not removed on each update, which is already very good. Unlike the switch fix, you just have to drop the new textures once, and select it in the main menu, then you can forget all about it.

But frankly the current default English cockpit is very good, the gauges that were still in Russian in previous versions were replaced, perhaps the only remaining text that is not translated is on the stick but that's not an issue. The only annoyance is the list of radio channels and beacons.