DTAC Terrain Development

rockwelder

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have helicopters crashing into my collision box...tanks go around but fire through..hmmm

Probably, there is the need to define the ground objects properties and ground units behavior when in various scenarios. It's a matter to know if that is already implemented or in a feature list to add. This should be in an open document, available to 3rd parties and modders. But, as this aspect will reside in the engine core, I'm not sure if it will be available.

At least the various units behaviors should be explicit to avoid the trial and error.

Edited by Xpto

104th Cobra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have helicopters crashing into my collision box...tanks go around but fire through..hmmm

Perhaps there is another config property you can use in addition - to stop the firing (they can't fire if they can't target I presume - what about something to spoil their line of sight without actually being a "visible" part of the object) ?

Martin...

That was one of the primary reasons this was disabled IIRC - the HAI couldn't cope with it.

Nate

Actually the helicopters do fine navigating...I simply made the box extremly high and they flew into it... Helos won't go below 98 ft on routes...evasion is different when being shot at...they some times bob below it.

Primarily it is ground vehicles that will reroute around the model while still being able to engage. It isn't actually too bad, but I was hoping I could get them to drive through in some instances. The collision box is not the only factor I am finding.

Actually the helicopters do fine navigating...I simply made the box extremly high and they flew into it... Helos won't go below 98 ft on routes...evasion is different when being shot at...they some times bob below it.

Primarily it is ground vehicles that will reroute around the model while still being able to engage. It isn't actually too bad, but I was hoping I could get them to drive through in some instances. The collision box is not the only factor I am finding.

Ah ok, you are more familiar withit than I - good luck. I look forward to what you find out.

Nate

Interesting: Placing a collision box can block or allow line of sight engagements..

I can have collidible trees with Ai driving around the extents of the tree lines. The only control you have is whether the AI fire through trees or collision box blockes LOS.

XFROG and C4D to render the tree models. Modeled the in game tree models out of planes in 3dmax...

Thanks you very much rockwelder. I stumbled across XFrog myself just the other night (after posting).

Besides the lovely foliage your collision work is very interesting. Please keep up the great work!

I believe to remember an old Lock On thread where ED or some modder said accurate tree collision would have an extremely high performance hit.

Of course you could simplify it with a box for a forest etc but then you cant fly between trees and more important not even shoot from above between trees.

But maybe that all changed in the last years?

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

• 3 weeks later...

This is EXACTLY what DCS needs. A realistic terrain, so we can stick in realistic ground warfare. A realistic ARMA. We are SOOO close. You might even be able to seduce some of the realism groups from ARMA like ACE and get them to come mod for DCS. You can only go so far in ARMA. Just pave the way for them.

And thank you, thank you! to the DTAC people! That looks pretty good so far! Even flying at top speed in the Hog, the standard terrain looks pretty bland ( though better than the usual flight sim ).

"Isn't this fun!?" - Inglorious Bastards

"I rode a tank, held a general's rank / When the Blitzkrieg raged, and the bodies stank!" - Stones.

• 2 weeks later...
am looking forward to this , will be great for combined arms, new treelines and high bush hedge rows to hide a tank in.

http://img96.exs.cx/img96/8853/leobusk.jpg

What is this? I dont see anything :megalol:

:pilotfly:Wolfpack Production:pilotfly:

-=<[WiN 10, I7 3770K @ 4,5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Dominator, Sapphire 7970 VaporX 6GB, C70 Vengance, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro rudder, Track IR, Beyerdynamics MMX 300 ]>=-

DCS/FC2/FC3/Arma videos on my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/WolfpackproductionDK

"Fortes Furtuna Juvat"

Just got CA and I am checking and testing the LOS and collision boxes. The AI only sees a large bounding box for the tree models and drives around forest and tree lines...I can get them to shoot through openings though.. but not drive through them. The larger forests need to be done.

There are 70+ .edm's to do, some with hundreds of trees in forest blocks...

Edited by rockwelder

Just got CA and I am checking and testing the LOS and collision boxes. The AI only sees a large bounding box for the tree models and drives around forest and tree lines...I can get them to shoot through openings though.. but not drive through them. The larger forests need to be done.

There are 70+ .edm's to do, some with hundreds of trees in forest blocks...

Man, I'm like Kid on Christmas Eve waiting for this add-on drooling_bouncy_smiley-947.gif

:D

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'