Will Combined Arms get further development?

cTB1440p

Hi guys :)

This is my first Post here in the Community, I came from War Thunder and Im looking since then for a more realistic Game - and DCS is that kind of Game I love now, after I tried it a bit - and because War Thunder is a whole empty joke as a "Simulator" in Sim. Battles, even with a Joystick:joystick:

I noticed Combined Arms and I wonder since then: Will this get further development on the road? In many Videos I see on Youtube i noticed the "bad" looking Tanks like the Abrams etc.

Is there any plan to develop the Ground Force further for Players to have fights like in Jets, or is it only a sort of "gimmick" beside the Flight Simulation?

For my part and View, I can say: If Eagle Dynamic would improve the Optic of the Ground Units and make this Part aalso too a Playable nd Worthwhile experience, many more would Play or a least try DCS for the Ground Combat part.

Edited by cTB1440p

Hi, Welcome!

While I think Eagle Dynamics created Combined Arms with the best of intentions the end result has been pretty limited and gimmicky unfortunately. Big improvements and renewed focus had been promised for years without materializing. One of the producers said in an recent interview that significant improvements to Combined Arms requires a complete code rewrite, or something to that effect. I take that to mean that it’s not something we’ll see for a long time, if ever.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Desperately needs VR support - especially for some of the more hardcore multiplayer servers that use CA like DDCS.

The simple keybinds for look left in VR and the camera pans right and vice versa would be a good start!

Really hope ED sort CA out as its a massive part of DCS and has great potential for gameplay given the DCS world.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Hi, Welcome!

While I think Eagle Dynamics created Combined Arms with the best of intentions the end result has been pretty limited and gimmicky unfortunately. Big improvements and renewed focus had been promised for years without materializing. One of the producers said in an recent interview that significant improvements to Combined Arms requires a complete code rewrite, or something to that effect. I take that to mean that it’s not something we’ll see for a long time, if ever.

Hmmm... Isnt the First step been Made with the SAM Tanks or Rocket Stations? So far I can Tell this on hand of the graphic.

And too ambitious ... I don't think its Harder or bigger work they need to so aus die neue Jets, but no Idea - im new here^^

They occasionally introduce new ground units into the sim and update existing graphics for legacy units, but the limited overall fidelity and functionality of Combined Arms has remained fairly static since its introduction.

And it’s not necessarily that Combined Arms is more work than airplanes, but more that ED has limited resources (budget/manpower) to devote to it. I suspect that DCS’s core ground functionality will have to be vastly improved to make the future Dynamic Campaign feasible. Hopefully there will be positive benefits to Combined Arms from those developments. Dynamic Campaign is currently forecast for introduction in 2021/2022. Other than that (pure speculation btw) I haven’t seen any indication that Combined Arms is on ED’s priority list at all.

Edited by SonofEil

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

ED once attempted to do a full fidelity M1 Abrams module, but nothing came of it (yet). They definitely want to give Combined Arms a complete overhaul in the mid-term which they refer to as Combinded Arms 2.0. Maybe after that has happened we might a full fidelity tank module in the long-term.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

the really disappointing thing about Combined Arms is the M1A1. I got in one to attempt to take on a T55 only to realize that the targeting gun (with radar?) bounces up and down and up and down. There is no ground stabilizing on it. That should be a very easy fix but...

I just play in the sky anyway.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

From AMA interview

https://www.mudspike.com/mudspike-ama-with-eagle-dynamics-senior-producer-matt-wagner/

Are there any plans to expand Combined Arms? This hidden gem of a module can really alter the multiplayer landscape with a cunning user at the helm but hasn’t gained a large following.

Certainly, but before we can do so, there are other items that first need to be addressed:

Detailed damage model system for ground units

Improved ground unit AI decision making

New and improved ground unit effects

A much more detailed ground environment

• 2 months later...

@=Mac= if you go into game settings in the modules settings for CA there is a setting along the lines of 'ground bounce/shake' or something like that. If i recall correctly, shut that off and you basically have ground stabilization. I'm not at home so I can't check right now.

Just looked, and what I was referring to was to deselect "Platform Shake" in Settings>Special>CA. Its not perfect, but removes a bunch of up/down when driving across flat(ish) terrain. I didn't know about what Shadow KT just said )i haven't spent much time in CA.

Desperately needs VR support - especially for some of the more hardcore multiplayer servers that use CA like DDCS.

The simple keybinds for look left in VR and the camera pans right and vice versa would be a good start!

Really hope ED sort CA out as its a massive part of DCS and has great potential for gameplay given the DCS world.

Would love to use combined arms and I know the standard answer ist: "VR is not supported for CA". Can it be that hard to invert the head movements in vr? Then it would already be playable in vr, and if the binocular was also fixed in vr it would be completely vr-compatible.

Before I had vr I used CA from time to time, but now I can't because I'm not ditching vr.

Louis|Dancer, foundation member of the digital Swiss Air Force, a group of enthusiasts trying to imitate everything that has to do with Swiss military aviation on dcs. If you want to join us, contact us via instagram.

our youtube chanel:dSAF

our instagram:dSAF

my rusty pc: msi gtx1080ti / ryzen 5 2600x / ga-ab350 gaming motherboard / 16gb ram / rift cv1 / warthog