Separate gear up/gear down commands?

Lixma 06

Please!

:)

e: and mirror toggle

+1!!!

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64

Add these two lines to 'c:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\P-51D\Input\P-51D\joystick\default.lua' and bind them to what ever buttons or key-presses you desire through Options -> Controls -> P-51D Sim.

{down = device_commands.Button_4, up = device_commands.Button_4, cockpit_device_id  = devices.CONTROL_SYSTEM, value_down = 1.0, name = _('Landing Gear Down'), category = _('Systems')},
{down = device_commands.Button_4, up = device_commands.Button_4, cockpit_device_id  = devices.CONTROL_SYSTEM, value_down = 0.0, name = _('Landing Gear Up'), category = _('Systems')},

I would suggest creating this as a mod and using JSGME or OvGME to implement it, as opposed to editing the original file, as the original file will be overwritten at every update or repair.

IIRC it is not possible, or at least I could not mod it, to create a mirror control.

• Like 2

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I honestly can't say. Maybe because it kind of works out of the box and there are generally solutions for fixing things the way you want them, if you can figure it out.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Add these two lines to 'c:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\P-51D\Input\P-51D\joystick\default.lua' and bind them to what ever buttons or key-presses you desire through Options -> Controls -> P-51D Sim.

{down = device_commands.Button_4, up = device_commands.Button_4, cockpit_device_id  = devices.CONTROL_SYSTEM, value_down = 1.0, name = _('Landing Gear Down'), category = _('Systems')},
{down = device_commands.Button_4, up = device_commands.Button_4, cockpit_device_id  = devices.CONTROL_SYSTEM, value_down = 0.0, name = _('Landing Gear Up'), category = _('Systems')},

I would suggest creating this as a mod and using JSGME or OvGME to implement it, as opposed to editing the original file, as the original file will be overwritten at every update or repair.

IIRC it is not possible, or at least I could not mod it, to create a mirror control.

I'm trying to do my own change to map the Warthog APU physical switch to the DCS Huey Prop Governor, however I have no idea where YOU get the full list of possible commands from that YOU used to create the two above examples...

i.e. How do I know what the prop governor switch is called to refer to in the 'device_commands'line, or in the device_id line?

I'm trying to do my own change to map the Warthog APU physical switch to the DCS Huey Prop Governor, however I have no idea where YOU get the full list of possible commands from that YOU used to create the two above examples...

i.e. How do I know what the prop governor switch is called to refer to in the 'device_commands'line, or in the device_id line?

First off you have to understand that the switches on the TM HOTAS Throttle are On-Off or On-Off-On switches. Two-way switchers are all downward (toward behind you while siting at the throttle) is off.

In the default.lua controls file, each control (a switch in the cockpit you can manipulate) has a 'down' and an 'up' setting, or can have them. These refer to a basic keyboard key operation. Down means the key assigned is pressed. Up means the key assigned is released.

Now let's look at the TM HOTAS Throttle. The APU Start/Off switch is switch 20. When it is toggled to 'Start' the switch is electronically on, like a light switch, and sends a signal to DCS. When toggled to 'Off' it is off, and it sends no signal to DCS.

Looking over my mod I see it could actually be done on one line:

{down = device_commands.Button_4, up = device_commands.Button_4, cockpit_device_id  = devices.CONTROL_SYSTEM, value_down = 1.0, [b]value_up = 0.0,[/b] name = _('Landing Gear Up/Down Switch'), category = _('Systems')},

Why? Because when assigned to switch 20 (On-OFF) the switch can only tell DCS when it is on, thus DCS sends 'value_down' '1.0' to the control and puts the landing gear down.

When switch 20 is off, DCS notices that there is no signal coming from switch 20 and 'value_up' '0.0' is sent to the control and the landing gear is raised.

If you want the switch to work the other way around, (switch 20 upwards means gear up, and downwards means gear down) exchange the down and up values.

Why does the first configuration work as well? Because when you assign switch 20 to them both, switch 20 can still only have an on or off state. So when switch 20 is in the asserted state (on = up) the 'value_up' in the first line is sent to DCS. When switch 20 is in the unasserted state (off = down) the 'value_down' in the second line is sent to DCS. By adding both value_up and value_down to the same line, both the on and off states can be regulated on the same line.

So, now on to the meat of your question. How do you know which default.lua control is for which cockpit control. Well generally you know what control you are thinking of and look for it's name in the default.lua. You can generally find it in the 'name =' parameter, but also in many cases in comment lines in the file.

Which values are valid you can see in the original lines, generally 1.0 and 0.0, but there are many exceptions. But for on/off switches it will probably always be 1.0 and 0.0.

For some controls such as dimmer switches for lighting, you can also try 0.1 or 0.2, etc., which often control the speed at which the dimmer is turned. This also works for the K-14 distance and wingspan controls. Some switches can also be negative, eg -1.0. You will have to look at the default settings in the default.lua and guestimate what is possible. You may have to try different settings until you get what you wish.

The line you are looking for in the Huey is probably:

{down = device_commands.Button_16, cockpit_device_id  = devices.ENGINE_INTERFACE, value_down = 0.0, name = _('Governor Auto/Emer'), category = _('Pedestal')},

Try setting it to:

{down = device_commands.Button_16, up = device_commands.Button_16, cockpit_device_id  = devices.ENGINE_INTERFACE, value_down = 0.0, value_up = 1.0, name = _('Governor Auto/Emer Switch'), category = _('Pedestal')},

and see if that works for you.

If I was unclear about anything, or you have further questions, feel free to ask.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Thanks!

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

awww shucks guys :P

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

You'd better be careful... I'll turn you into a newt :sorcerer:

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Adding the key file command lines as described above does make the new bindings display in the Options\Controls app; however, for me the new gear bindings are not assignable. I can "ADD" a key binding in the assignment app, but after exiting, the new assignment has not registered.

Adding the key file command lines as described above does make the new bindings display in the Options\Controls app; however, for me the new gear bindings are not assignable. I can "ADD" a key binding in the assignment app, but after exiting, the new assignment has not registered.

hmm... It worked for me, did you edit the commands at all after copy/pasting them?

You have to add the command for every device .lua. If you add a command to keyboard\default.lua it will only be for keyboard. There is generic joystick and if a specific hardware lua exists that is used too.

That is the issue. Must be added to keyboard default if that is the device you want to assign.

:( well, now everything depends on what your intentions are. The original request was for controls to bind a switch on the TM HOTAS Throttle for Gear Up and Gear Down; one switch position to always raise the gear, and the other to always lower the gear.

If you are going to assign two different key-presses--eg PgUp and PgDn--for Gear Up and Gear Down respectively, then you must use the two line control mod, and as stated above, add them to the default.lua in the keyboard folder.

If you simply want to use 1 key-press as a toggle--eg press Home :: gear goes up, press Home again :: gear goes down--that is what you have right out of the box with <G> assigned per default.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

• 5 months later...