No afterburners on takeoff for the B/D

turkeydriver

Following the loss of three aircraft over a four week period in 1996, the CNO ordered a safety stand down to review what was known in order to find out if there were any operational restrictions that needed to be placed on the aircraft. The Navy placed interim restrictions on the F-14 in the low altitude, high speed environment. Afterburner use was prohibited for F-14Bs and F-14Ds at all altitudes except for operational emergencies.

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/f-14.htm

Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Processor

15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display

16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz

128GB SSD + 1TB 5400 RPM Hard Drive

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5

Windows 10 Home 64bit

I personally saw F-14's go full burner on takeoff on my 2004 cruise with VF-211... it was always awesome - the burner would hit the JBD and then go straight up.

They MAY have been A models though.

VFA-113 | Stinger 307 | "Hank"

USN OEF OIF Veteran

i7-8700K OC'd 4800ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC'd | 32gb RAM | 2.5TB SSD | Odyssey + | TM Warthog HOTAS |

Just to be clear, it was forbidden to use afterburner on takeoff- either at the boat or a land airbase. Once you lifted off with 2 good motors, light em up. Will Heatblur's F-14B leave the carrier at full Mil as they did IRL?

Yes, you can launch off the boat in mil-power.

The HB F-14 has a different process in-sim for launching than the F/A-18. Instead of hooking into the cat and selecting burner like the Hornet (iirc - been a while), you connect to the cat and use a "salute" key function (my idea actually :)).

So you go to mil-power and press shift-U. This causes the pilot figure in the F-14 to salute and the cat fires 2-2.5 seconds later.

-Nick

The HB F-14 has a different process in-sim for launching than the F/A-18. Instead of hooking into the cat and selecting burner like the Hornet (iirc - been a while), you connect to the cat and use a "salute" key function (my idea actually :)).

So you go to mil-power and press shift-U. This causes the pilot figure in the F-14 to salute and the cat fires 2-2.5 seconds later.

-Nick

That's great! Now talk them into the rest of the hand signals rather than that awful ground crew menu...

...I know, nobody is ever satisfied. There are people who would complain if you hung them with a new rope.

-Nick

That's awesome :thumbup: It will imho absolutely add to the immersion!!

Main Module: AH-64D

Personal Wishlist: HH-60G, F-117A, B-52H

-Nick

Ok this is like the best thing in DCS ever. Nice suggestion.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

VF-31 used to go full burner all the time out of Oceana in the late 1990s in their -Ds. VF-101 also went full burn routinely in the same time period, they flew A+ and B birds. I can't think of many that didn't really. Safety standowns occur, but once they clear issues, they go back to routine ops.

Edited by MurderOne
VF-31 flew D cats

Sorry, no cool signature here.

I’m pretty sure they were restricted off the cat to mil power because the GE engines (B&D) had too much thrust for the hold back system. I asked the same question to a friend of mine that flew all models.. for some reason I remember this as being the answer.. might have to confirm this again.

Pretty sure off a runway they were fine in burner.

Now there was a order to keep the tomcats out of burner when they had a rash of accidents involving the burner can blowing out.. which would equal an aircraft loss.. but eventually that was resolved.

F-14B Launch Procedure and Takeoff Config from NAVAIR 01-F14AAP-1. Afterburner takeoffs from the carrier prohibited in the F-14B.

Launch.jpg.9258d5f8e2e6e54456fa59399807f1ec.jpg

869790697_ABTakeoff.jpg.1596f269d8f25385acced8f9228f5140.jpg

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-Nick

beautiful. Thanks Nick!

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

They were restricted because the rudders don't have the authority at low speeds to counter an engine failure with the other engine in full AB. Its for safety. If it cooked the JDBs, the Navy would have found a tougher material to make it work with AB if they needed it, ala the F-35B melting old style decks and now a tougher material n place on F-35B ships.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

VF-31 used to go full burner all the time out of Oceana in the late 1990s in their -Ds. VF-101 also went full burn routinely in the same time period, they flew A+ and B birds. I can't think of many that didn't really. Safety standowns occur, but once they clear issues, they go back to routine ops.

This isn't accurate. They did it once n the air but they did not on the ground.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

Forget it...do w/e you like :thumbup:

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Omg, don't be so pedantic.

What is the date of your manual ? As other said it might be that AB take off was prohibited at a later date ...

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

yep you're rght- pedantic rant deleted. Sorry about that.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

yep you're rght- pedantic rant deleted. Sorry about that.

I think he was talking to me lol :music_whistling:

Post edited anyway - unfortunately I am ex-aircrew so am conditioned to do what the -1 says .. period.

But hey it's just a sim right so do whatever you want, Max AB 1 engine cat launch for all I care lol.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Probably because it's a different aircraft?!

I'm guessing it's not that it couldn't, it's that you shouldn't.

You totally missed my point, and obviously don't understand how the cat launch logic works in DCS. The cat launch logic currently implemented in DCS allows for launch at MIL power. This means you can launch without AB. This means that if you can launch at MIL in the Hornet, you should be able to launch at MIL in the Tomcat on ED's carrier.

So the answer to OP's question: "Will Heatblur's F-14B leave the carrier at full Mil as they did IRL?" is YES.