Syrian and Afghan theatre of operations confirmed!

WHOGX5

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not interested at all in this map, cannot see what interesting dogfights could be done there,

bombing some jihadists hidden in a goat hut is not for me the highlight of the air combat (remarks works also for the Afghan map).

Also immersion problem for me, as I'm neither an Isreali nor an Arab, not interested in "simulating" for those countries.

Also so many bad things happen currently in this area, that I much prefer to play past finished battles or fictional but nevertheless realistic battles.

And still no European Cold War map, no Korean map, no Vietnam map.

Of course, I understand that other people without too much "immersion feeling" need could play and enjoy such a map (but the contrary is rarely the case).

Just waiting with great impatience so the "Viggen map".

Also so many bad things happen currently in this area, that I much prefer to play past finished battles or fictional but nevertheless realistic battles.

+ [quite a lot]

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Not interested at all in this map, cannot see what interesting dogfights could be done there,

bombing some jihadists hidden in a goat hut is not for me the highlight of the air combat (remarks works also for the Afghan map).

Of course there has been air combat in that region. Once the Syria map releases I can finally use my Mirage in historical combats. Other aircraft can participate as well. Compared to the Georgia and Nevada maps it offers much more historic and fictional settings.

And you certainly do not have to be Arab or Israeli to enjoy this map. lol

Edit: I am also excited about the Ramat David airport. Probably there will be some interesting missions inflicting this airbase.

Edited by Tiramisu

I’d have preferred the map to extend westwards somewhat. After all it’s mainly sea, so not much additional build effort. Making up for that, allows more realistic space for using carriers.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Gonna be honest, after seeing how badly Normandy was supported by Ugra, I'll be steering clear until it's been out a year or so and received updates before I even consider purchasing.

That's a point

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Gonna be honest, after seeing how badly Normandy was supported by Ugra, I'll be steering clear until it's been out a year or so and received updates before I even consider purchasing.

Good point. I sincerely hope that ED is supporting Ugra-Media so that this upcoming map will benefit from all the latest development tools and methodology that has made Persian Gulf such a successful and well designed map...

S!

IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us

Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Website

I personally find no appeal in a Syrian map. The civil war is recent, and most aircraft flying over Syria are not even in DCS, or only in blocks/version long out of service. It doesn't mesh together.

A map with much more room for historic use would be one covering the numerous Arab-Israeli conflicts. Something more like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=201107&stc=1&d=1546337922

685798796_HardCopy_20190101_111755-TelAviv-Yafo-GoogleMaps.thumb.jpg.ef072ec35287ea83e86a300b1a5ccf06.jpg

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I personally find no appeal in a Syrian map. The civil war is recent, and most aircraft flying over Syria are not even in DCS, or only in blocks/version long out of service. It doesn't mesh together.

A map with much more room for historic use would be one covering the numerous Arab-Israeli conflicts. Something more like this:

A good point. Although would think we have a better array of Turkish, Russian, Syrian aircraft currently in the game than Israeli.

Not sure what to think of the map - in a way it is wrong to make it while the conflict is still ongoing. On the other hand there are numerous historical conflicts which are relevant to the map.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

That map was practically the one in Falcon 3.0

I don't get all the criticism about the announced map, it is just the *perfect* scenario.

Modern freaks can throw in a Russian / NATO confrontation above Syria, just imagine an escalation after the 2015 Su-24 incident.

More cold-war oriented ones (like me) almost have everything in place to set a wonderful scenario with Russian equipped Syrian forces in a dispute with Turkey or Israel. Too bad only about Cyprus, that would have been the icing on the cake.

cannot see what interesting dogfights could be done there

:huh:

in a way it is wrong to make it while the conflict is still ongoing.

i don't get it, should we wait the conflict to end to get its map in game? why?

i think this is the best location among the existing maps. Only cons point is lack of Cyprus land.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

I agree that left Cyprus out is a big error, Akrotiri air base should be in the map. And I like the idea of the map, but having no current variants of Su-27/33 and Su-25 is a big problem. C'mon they could even make them FC4 versions, but something we can use, not variants of the 80's!!

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

I agree that left Cyprus out is a big error, Akrotiri air base should be in the map. And I like the idea of the map, but having no current variants of Su-27/33 and Su-25 is a big problem. C'mon they could even make them FC4 versions, but something we can use, not variants of the 80's!!

No FC-4, they coming MAC, and for now, dont expected new russian aircraft's yet. I think Cyprus can be added after a release, same similarly to the south UK coast on Normandy.

+1

I love this part...

- The War of the Doomsday of 1973;

- Lebanon war of 1982;

- The release of Syria from the terrorists in 2017.

Only planes we could use would be the F-15C and the MiG-21Bis for 1982, nothing else.

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

I love this part...

- The War of the Doomsday of 1973;

- Lebanon war of 1982;

- The release of Syria from the terrorists in 2017.

Only planes we could use would be the F-15C and the MiG-21Bis for 1982, nothing else.

Not the whole story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aérospatiale_Gazelle#Syria

Syrian Gazelles were used extensively during the 1982 Lebanon War. In the face of a major Israeli ground advance, repetitive harassment attacks were launched by the Gazelles, which were able to slow their advance.[48] According to author Roger Spiller, panic and a sense of vulnerability quickly spread amongst Israeli tank crews following the first of these Gazelle strikes on 8 June 1982; the range of the Gazelle's HOT missiles being a key factor in its effectiveness.

If you're less of a purist, just Syria alone operates SA342, Mi-8MT, Mig-29, L-39 as well as the upcoming Mi-24 and Mig-23. Reportedly L-39 saw combat usage.

Historic aircraft have included Supermarine Spitfire Mk 22s, MiG-15bis and Mig-19. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_Air_Force

Edited by Varis

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

When the current graphic engine EDGE was announced (6 years ago) several videos were floating around of other applications that use the same engine. AVIA TS use it for there Mi-8 simulator, Belsimtek was involed in the development too, if I remember correctly. So maybe Belsimtek is working on Afghanistan now. Here are some videos showcasing the Simulator and EDGE.

Anyway as least it can be considered as "what if”.

q1vkbQoPeiQ[/YouTube]

sxYrCJNMGnU[/YouTube]

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Flanker driver since 1996

When the current graphic engine EDGE was announced (6 years ago) several videos were floating around of other applications that use the same engine. AVIA TS use it for there Mi-8 simulator, Belsimtek was involed in the development too, if I remember correctly. So maybe Belsimtek is working on Afghanistan now. Here are some videos showcasing the Simulator and EDGE.

Anyway as least it can be considered as "what if”.

q1vkbQoPeiQ[/YouTube]

sxYrCJNMGnU[/YouTube]

wow even in that time, they had wet runways, taxiways

Youtube

Agreed.

Plus the Suez Canal is always going to a spot for future potential conflict. Just like anywhere else with oil and shipping.

Agreed.

Plus the Suez Canal is always going to a spot for future potential conflict. Just like anywhere else with oil and shipping.

So we should use our imagination to put together imaginary conflicts over the Suez, but it’s too big a stretch to imagine a conflict in an area where the likely opponents are already facing off on the ground, and that has a good selection of antagonistic proxies for the super powers spread across it ?

Strange..

Cheers.