The forbidden question.

Hello!

I just want to ask if there exists a mod or anything that makes the mi8 less vulnerable to VRS?

I know, training and watching the vs not below 3m/s when slow.

With this question I dont want to insult any people who are able to fly this beast without problems! It is just a question because it is a sim and sometimes it is nice to change a few things.

Thank you!

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Fly with unlimited fuel at only 1%:)

Nice idea! Will trie this for training and when I get better in overall handling I set it back to real.

Thank you

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Unfortunately not so uncommon IRL too:

Didnt know that video, do you know if anyone survived this?

EDIT: Found it, it was an Airshow at Gelendzhik, the two pilots where killed, one other crew member seriously injured.

Edited by Rhinozherous

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Yeah that’s a tragic video. Don’t fly backwards right before landing!

Yiykes. Thats bad. Also looks alot like my DCS landings in the Mi8 too. Hopefully the crew made it.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I just want to ask if there exists a mod or anything that makes the mi8 less vulnerable to VRS?

Have you tried Game Flight Mode in the game's options?

Don't know if or how it works with the Mi-8, but at least with the Ka-50 I think the chopper is much less susceptible to common problems like VRS.

Unfortunately not so uncommon IRL too:

That moment when you know exactly which vid is behind the link, before clicking it...

Sad event :(

Yeah that’s a tragic video. Don’t fly backwards right before landing!

Flying backwards was probably a compounding factor in this accident (never read any official report, though), but I think the dynamics should be mostly the same in forward flight. I guess aerodynamics-wise, the crash would have happened the same when flying forward. But from a pilot's point of view, I assume the pilot didn't realize the excessive sink-rate until it was too late, because he flew backward right as the situation developed.

Not saying your statement is wrong, just saying helicopters don't have to crash just because they're coming in backwards for a landing.

Or did the tail rotor turbulence have an effect on main rotor lift in this situation?