Free Map

Ercoupe

That airport screenshot looks like the Syria map based on it's ground tone and those warehouses that are also visible in the F-16 trailer.

Yeah now the question is which one. I guess we have to look at what we know. There is a body of water near the end of the run way, and a few interesting parking and taxi way designs.

EDIT: Seems like the image with the Taxi way and water is Ramat David in Israel So I doubt it is the new map.

Edited by M.Muir

My guess is

A. NOT desert. (We already have 2- with a third on the way- and don't give me "Syria is green also"- it is 80%+ desert.

B. It will be a combat operations map (Not some US training base), ED has commented that due to "overwhelming input" that these are the types the users want

C. Wags strikes me as a Hornet type more than anything, so I am guessing it includes water.

D. It is not WW2. Wags in primarly a modern jet dude.

E. That leaves scenarios combat scenarios that have turbulent areas, flashpoints, located next to a major watermass.

This leads me to think

1. Korea.

2. Balkans.

3. Kola peninsula, northern scandinavia bordering russia

4. The Baltic.

Just my 2 cents.

Fulda gap area possibly? We have a barn full of 80's / 90's jets to support or stop the armored red horde pouring into Germany.

Cap'n Penguin

a.k.a. Lawndart extraordinaire

i9-9900K Processor - 120mm Liquid Cooling System - 32G (8 GB x 4) DDR4-3200MHz - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB - 1 TB Western Digital Blue SSD - Motherboard (MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk) - Corsair RMX850 PSU - Windows 10 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Oculus Rift S - Old Lawn chair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have a sneaking suspicion it is Cuba up to Ft.Lauderdale. Not sure if this has been mentioned, too lazy to go through the other entries. Would love denial or confirmation

+1 this would be incredible.

160th Virtual Fighter Squadron "Dixie Vipers"

Alabama Virtual Air National Guard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think that if y'all want something worth flying over, you should stop talking about a FREE map! :pilotfly:

ED promised a free map for this year, so that is what we are talking about here.

Louis|Dancer, foundation member of the digital Swiss Air Force, a group of enthusiasts trying to imitate everything that has to do with Swiss military aviation on dcs. If you want to join us, contact us via instagram.

our youtube chanel:dSAF

our instagram:dSAF

my rusty pc: msi gtx1080ti / ryzen 5 2600x / ga-ab350 gaming motherboard / 16gb ram / rift cv1 / warthog

Promised?

ED promised a free map for this year, so that is what we are talking about here.

They said it will be discussed further later this year I never seen any promises.

Got a proof on the claim above perhaps ?

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

They said it will be discussed further later this year I never seen any promises.

Got a proof on the claim above perhaps ?

It was said by Wags in a video a time ago while discussing the next upcoming stuff. So I guess that's a good enough "promise" he wasn't joking.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

My guess is

A. NOT desert. (We already have 2- with a third on the way- and don't give me "Syria is green also"- it is 80%+ desert.

B. It will be a combat operations map (Not some US training base), ED has commented that due to "overwhelming input" that these are the types the users want

C. Wags strikes me as a Hornet type more than anything, so I am guessing it includes water.

D. It is not WW2. Wags in primarly a modern jet dude.

E. That leaves scenarios combat scenarios that have turbulent areas, flashpoints, located next to a major watermass.

This leads me to think

1. Korea.

2. Balkans.

3. Kola peninsula, northern scandinavia bordering russia

4. The Baltic.

Just my 2 cents.

1. I doubt Wags preferences for a theatre or aircraft will drive decisions.

2. I want korea but they haven't shown any interest in doing more korea assets or modules.

3. We have a free modern map and WW2 aircraft have the highest profit margins. So my guess is it's a WW2 map to help drive and popularize WW2 module sales.

3. We have a free modern map and WW2 aircraft have the highest profit margins. So my guess is it's a WW2 map to help drive and popularize WW2 module sales.
I have my doubts since there's another WWII map in progress. But anything for free would be welcome.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

1. I doubt Wags preferences for a theatre or aircraft will drive decisions.

2. I want korea but they haven't shown any interest in doing more korea assets or modules.

The free map will be entirely based on Wags preferences. Please see post #6 on this thread.

• ED Team
The free map will be entirely based on Wags preferences. Please see post #6 on this thread.

It's always a team decision with our company owner and our CEO having final say. While still too early to announce, key elements of the map must include:

1- Can be converted to both modern day and WWII use.

2- Low overhead, high performance.

3- Geographically laid out to best suit multiplayer matches.

4- Suited for both land-based and carrier ops.

5- Expand into a new part of the world.

Thanks

Edited by Wags
  • Like 1

It's always a team decision with our company owner and our CEO having final say. While still too early to announce, key elements of the map must include:

3- Geographically laid out to best suit multilayer matches.

Thanks

Thanks for the update and hints!

For me, this describes a large area of the Pacific with a lot of water and scattered islands.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Thanks for the update and hints!

For me, this describes a large area of the Pacific with a lot of water and scattered islands.

I could see that being true, but I also feel like islands are not great for MP modern because open ocean means no terrain masking...

But everything else, yeah.

3- Geographically laid out to best suit multilayer matches.

Thanks

1 - So we'll end up with :

-Europe (WWII/Cold war)

-North-africa, expanded to middle-east (WWII/Gulf wars)

-Far-east/pacific (WWII, war of Corea, nowadays "issues" with China/North Korea)

The whole america can be excluded as WWII never reached this ground.

2- We can exclude a good part of scandinavia, too much trees. Desert and sea are probably the best performance-friendly maps, but we already have 2 desert maps.

3/4 - So we'll need land and sea for both sides. Excludes Hawaii or small islands in the middle of nowhere.

5- East of Europe is already covered by caucasus and middle-east by PG. Normandy somewhat cover western Europe.

So, a few guess...

-North africa, but I think our WWII planes came a bit later.

-Suez strait, going up to South-Syria. Maybe too close to Persian gulf.

-Japan/Korea

-Baltic sea

-New Guinea/Solomons, perfect for an F-4U (Remember the VMF-214 ?), lots of water. However, we don't have japanese WWII planes atm.

-Philippine islands/Taiwan

-South-Europe/ North of mediterranea : Will perfectly cover WWII (operation Dragoon), but won't be very usefull for modern war. Flying in the alps would be awesome anyway.

-Gibraltar ?

Intel 9900KF @ 5.1GHz / RTX 2080S OC @ 1.93GHz / ASUS Prime Z390-A / 2x16Gb DDR4 @ 3333 CL16 / Corsair TX850M / Samsung NVME 970 EVO+ / TM warthog Thr. / VKB Gunfighter mkIII + MCG / MFG Crosswind mk3 / Valve Index

I believe this leave us with the Med.

Italy or North Africa.

New Guinea and Pacific does not make much sense since I guess that WWII is oriented to the European conflict given the plane set we have And is being developed. Maybe the Norway Fiords.

Anyway a change of scenery (other part of the world) sounds enticing :)

Edited by Baco

BALKANS:

The Balkans Campaign (World War I)

The Balkans Campaign (World War II)

The Yugoslav Wars (1991–1999)

PC: i7-13700K - MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio - 32GB DDR5 6200 - VPC MongoosT-50CM3 - VKB GF pro - MFG Crosswind - Msi MPG321UR-QD + Acer XB271HU - TrackIR5 - Rift S

3- Geographically laid out to best suit multiplayer matches.

Thanks

Thanks for the info.

Does it mean that the "it would be his favorite place to fly a real aircraft" clue is completely false?

I could see that being true, but I also feel like islands are not great for MP modern because open ocean means no terrain masking...

But everything else, yeah.

Actually, that would be perfect for MP. For a change, we would stop seeing 3rd and 4th gen jets mucking about at 50ft, and rather be at 20 000+ where they belong.