Cylinder Head Temperature Gage Not Working?

Balzarog

I’ve noticed on startup that the cylinder head temperature (CHT) gage is pegged at 150 before starting the engine, and doesn’t move at all while the engine is running on the ground or in flight. This could be a problem since the specs require we keep the CHT above 125 degrees C during flight. Has anyone else noticed this? I would expect the CHT to be ambient temperature during a cold start and gradually rise to the 150 degrees C as it warms up.

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

i have no problem hiting red line in temps

it is big engine it take time to warm up

1200rpm is warm up for the engine if you try warmup at low rpm it can take lot of time

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Before I start up, and all during the warm up, the needle of the CHT gage sits just above 150. Last night, as I was doing an “Instant Action” free flight, my engine died as I was trying to get the hang of a proper controls setup for raising and lowering the gear. When I scanned the gages to figure out why the engine died, I noticed that the CHT needle was below 120 (Caution, do not allow CHT to drop below 125 ....). So, it appears that the gage does in fact work. I posted my original question after having seen it before starting, during warm up and early flight only.

I’ve been a U.S. Federal Aviation Administration licensed airframe and powerplant mechanic for 44 years, and I must say that I have never seen a temperature gage that indicated at the top of it’s range before startup, and that didn’t move during a 30-minute warm up, so I stand by my thought that the CHT gage is bugged.

Edited by Balzarog

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

i have no problem hiting red line in temps

it is big engine it take time to warm up

1200rpm is warm up for the engine if you try warmup at low rpm it can take lot of time

The I-16 has two gages that show temperature. The gage on the left side of the instrument panel is a triple indicator gage that shows oil temp (the outside register) the oil pressure ( left inside indicator), and fuel pressure (right inside indicator). Oil temp is controlled by the oil cooler lever on the right side of the cockpit. The gage on the right side of the instrument panel is the cylinder head temperature (CHT) that shows the temperature of the cylinder head (obviously) which is regulated by the cowl flap lever above the oil cooler lever. For a true cold start (engine at ambient outside temperature), the oil temp and CHT gages should show the ambient air temp, not the max of the gage. I suspect that you see the oil temp gage changing during warm up, not the CHT since the the CHT is already indicating 150 and has no where to move other than down.

It's possible they have working CHT's and you have a busted install or some other DCS weirdness. The fact that 2 separate people say their CHT works (and presumably you are all on the same Build), probably means DCS has DCSed on you.

It's possible they have working CHT's and you have a busted install or some other DCS weirdness. The fact that 2 separate people say their CHT works (and presumably you are all on the same Build), probably means DCS has DCSed on you.

It is possible, I will do a repair and test it again to determine if there is an issue.

The gauge that stops at 15 is the fuel gauge. It indicates fuel amount in 10xKg - so 15 is 150 Kg fuel.

Note that the tanks can take more than 150 kg's (~190 kg), so the needle won's start to drop before appr. 20% fuel has been used.

Above the fuel gauge is the CHT gauge, which ends at 350 - and it´s working - i.e indicates OAT when starting from cold and dark and normally settles around 200°C depending on power setting and cowl flap opening.

Edited by fjacobsen

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

The gauge that stops at 15 is the fuel gauge. It indicates fuel amount in 10xKg - so 15 is 150 Kg fuel.

Note that the tanks can take more than 150 kg's (~190 kg), so the needle won's start to drop before appr. 20% fuel has been used.

Above the fuel gauge is the CHT gauge, which ends at 350 - and it´s working - i.e indicates OAT when starting from cold and dark and normally settles around 200°C depending on power setting and cowl flap opening.

Ah, thank you very much! That solves the issue. I thought it was the other way around, and that I was looking at the CHT gage. Wouldn’t be the first time this old brain got confused, and it definitely won’ be the last:lol:

Edited by Balzarog