F-22 vs Fokker Triplane - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-13-2017, 06:14 AM   #1
Braeden108

Reputation power: 2
Braeden108 will become famous soon enoughBraeden108 will become famous soon enough
Default F-22 vs Fokker Triplane

It sounds like an easy fight. The F-22 would win hands down, right? But I was thinking about it. The WWI bird doesn't have a big radar signature and its going slow, so the F-22's radar missiles would be useless. The engine probably doesn't emit enough heat for a heater to pick it up. So all the F-22's fancy weapons are rendered useless. Now it's a gun fight. A WWI aircraft can out turn an F-22 all day long. So I think the WWI bird would have a better chance than you'd first think. What are your thoughts?
Old 09-13-2017, 07:04 AM   #2
lemoen

Reputation power: 3
lemoen will become famous soon enoughlemoen will become famous soon enough

Nah, no contest. The DR1 can do 115mph and has two 30cal machine guns. The F22 can go 1000+mph and can shoot and hit the Dr1 from way further. Also, it moves so fast the Dr1 prob won't be able to aim and hit it and the small caliber guns may not even damage the F22 appreciably. Basically, to win, the F22 pilot only has to do a supersonic buzz of the Dr1 to break it.
lemoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:25 AM   #3
komemiute

Reputation power: 11
komemiute is just really nicekomemiute is just really nicekomemiute is just really nicekomemiute is just really nicekomemiute is just really nicekomemiute is just really nicekomemiute is just really nicekomemiute is just really nicekomemiute is just really nicekomemiute is just really nicekomemiute is just really nice

I think the main problem for the DR.1 is that it's enough for the F-22 to pass fast enough and close enough to make it stall.
Probably even a partial impact would fatally cripple the DR.1 leaveing the F-22 still plenty flyable.
komemiute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:49 AM   #4
shagrat
ED Translator

Reputation power: 45
shagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoen View Post
(...)Basically, to win, the F22 pilot only has to do a supersonic buzz of the Dr1 to break it.
Pretty much this. I guess the sheer impact of the shockwave could rip through the light fabrics on the wings and may even break structures. It is strong enough to break glass windows, at least.
I would expect the pilot getting a bit "dazed", also.

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.2GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat
TM HOTAS Warthog
custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |
a hand made UFC and an AHCP
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:08 AM   #5
59th_RAVENS

Reputation power: 8
59th_RAVENS is a jewel in the rough59th_RAVENS is a jewel in the rough59th_RAVENS is a jewel in the rough59th_RAVENS is a jewel in the rough59th_RAVENS is a jewel in the rough59th_RAVENS is a jewel in the rough59th_RAVENS is a jewel in the rough59th_RAVENS is a jewel in the rough

Our Website
Our Facebook Page
YouTube Channel

59th_RAVENS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
Art-J

Reputation power: 16
Art-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really nice

OP's thoughts are not unjustified, though. I remember reading about serious problems Tigercat pilots had during Korean War, attempting to intercept night raids made by Po-2s. Indeed, fabric structure made them difficult to be detected by radar, while their agility and low speed made manoeuvring for firing position even more challenging.

It's not coincidence that on modern battlefield task of intercepting small and slow planes is given to attack choppers or COIN aircraft.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #7
MikeMikeJuliet

Reputation power: 6
MikeMikeJuliet is just really niceMikeMikeJuliet is just really niceMikeMikeJuliet is just really niceMikeMikeJuliet is just really niceMikeMikeJuliet is just really niceMikeMikeJuliet is just really niceMikeMikeJuliet is just really niceMikeMikeJuliet is just really nice

While a "little fun thought experiment", I think there is something to be thought about in here.

Utility aircraft, especially tactical transports or CSAR helicopters etc are slow and barely maneuver. While they do pose a larger radar signature, if flying very low, they might not be easily detectable. I would also consider the "wtf is that?" moment of the F-22 pilot, and the difficulty of measuring the target aircrafts energy state, direction of motion and especially speed, since these kinds of targets are not the norm. A target that is significantly larger or smaller than what you are used to is more difficult to judge distance to and the speed of. In a quick one-shot situation this might be the million-dollar luck the defensive aircraft needs to avoid the instant kill, try to get out of sight and pray for a safe RTB.

Now of course, there will never be a real fight between the F-22 and the Fokker, but some aspects may still translate to other engagements. A leaker aircraft meets a supportive aircraft in the visual arena... might be the pilot is not prepared, and won't put up his/her A-game.

Taking the OP setup, I feel the F-22 pilot's worst mistake would be to try to dogfight the Fokker. Slow, light aircraft turn in such a small area that there is no contest there. Then again, with even a little common sense, the F-22 pilot pulls to the vertical and the Fokker is unable to do anything anymore. This not taking into account the likely disintegration of the Fokker due to the forces emitted by the F-22 close by...

A funny thought experiment in any case.

Last edited by MikeMikeJuliet; 09-13-2017 at 02:36 PM.
MikeMikeJuliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:47 PM   #8
Bushmanni

Reputation power: 18
Bushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of lightBushmanni is a glorious beacon of light

F-22 gun has an effective range of 1-1.5km so while there's zero chance of F-22 being able to maneuver behind the Dr.1 it doesn't really need to. He can shoot down the triplane from standoff range from head on. The triplane also probably doesn't have enough speed to move out of the way of the incoming explosive shell cloud.

While the Dr.1 in itself is slow and hence harder to detect using doppler shift, the engine spins with the prop propably giving off enough doppler shift to make detection easy.
Bushmanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:14 PM   #9
VZ_342

Reputation power: 1
VZ_342 is on a distinguished road

Fabric and wood is flexible, unlike glass. I wouldn't think the shockwave would destroy the triplane, and the F22 pilot wouldn't want to risk the 7.92 bullets damaging the engines (unlikely, but still a risk that's not needed to be taken).

I vote F22.

Last edited by VZ_342; 09-13-2017 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Spelinge
VZ_342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:02 PM   #10
Braeden108

Reputation power: 2
Braeden108 will become famous soon enoughBraeden108 will become famous soon enough

Interesting points, this is one of the reasons I want WWI aircraft for DCS. I think you're underestimating the Dr.1's maneuverability and overestimating the F-22's radar. Regardless you guys should try fighting a WWII aircraft in a jet fighter, and vice versa. Fighting a FW190 in an M2000 blew my mind. Those Fukke-Wolf's can climb.