Increase smoke from SAMs - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: Should SAM launches create more smoke?
Yes 53 86.89%
No 8 13.11%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #11
MRaza

Reputation power: 2
MRaza will become famous soon enoughMRaza will become famous soon enoughMRaza will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFire View Post
I want it to be realistic. No idea if the current situation is realistic since I've never seen a real SAM battery in action.
I don't think it is, I feel like the smoke dissipates too quickly, hope ED improves this aspect of dcs
MRaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:23 PM   #12
BitMaster
Veteran

Reputation power: 18
BitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really nice

Asus Prime-Z270-A - Intel i7-7700K @ 5.0/1.330v adaptive LLC6 Phase_140%-Extreme - 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 XMP 3600 CL16 vDimm VCCIO 1.30v VSA 1.35v - Asus 980GTX Poseidon wc @ 1500/8000 - 2 x Samsung 850 Pro 256GB - 1 x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 2 x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT @ 4 x 180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Win10Pro64 - Corsair Carbide 500r Case 5x120mm 1x200mm fans
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:41 PM   #13
BuzzU

Reputation power: 17
BuzzU has a spectacular aura aboutBuzzU has a spectacular aura aboutBuzzU has a spectacular aura aboutBuzzU has a spectacular aura about

It should be easier to stay alive if we had a bit more smoke. I'll trade some fps for that.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."

"Life is hard, but it's a lot harder when you're stupid." John Wayne
BuzzU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:01 PM   #14
DarkFire

Reputation power: 19
DarkFire is a glorious beacon of lightDarkFire is a glorious beacon of lightDarkFire is a glorious beacon of lightDarkFire is a glorious beacon of lightDarkFire is a glorious beacon of lightDarkFire is a glorious beacon of lightDarkFire is a glorious beacon of lightDarkFire is a glorious beacon of lightDarkFire is a glorious beacon of lightDarkFire is a glorious beacon of lightDarkFire is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitMaster View Post
Looks pretty much like what we have now in DCS. Maybe the smoke could dissipate a tiny bit slower, but otherwise it appears to be reasonably realistic.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:09 PM   #15
BuzzU

Reputation power: 17
BuzzU has a spectacular aura aboutBuzzU has a spectacular aura aboutBuzzU has a spectacular aura aboutBuzzU has a spectacular aura about

Not really. It might be similar when fired, but the real one has more smoke through the air.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."

"Life is hard, but it's a lot harder when you're stupid." John Wayne
BuzzU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:14 PM   #16
John C Flett

Reputation power: 5
John C Flett is on a distinguished road

True, but interestingly, the smoke trail isn't from point of launch but only once in flight.
John C Flett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:58 PM   #17
WildBillKelsoe
Veteran

Reputation power: 49
WildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to all

I think keep current missile smoke but make launcher smoke more pronounced and lingering to spot the buggers..
Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.
WildBillKelsoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:51 PM   #18
MRaza

MRaza will become famous soon enoughMRaza will become famous soon enoughMRaza will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFire View Post
I want it to be realistic. No idea if the current situation is realistic since I've never seen a real SAM battery in action.
Yup, it's frustrating to get fired on and not be able to see where it came from, as the smoke dissapates by the time I finish going defensive
Old 11-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #19
MRaza

Bump

Get low, do it fast, dish out everyone's equal share of BRRRRRT

Thanks Steve
Old 11-16-2017, 03:37 PM   #20
Alfa
Veteran

Reputation power: 86
Alfa is a splendid one to beholdAlfa is a splendid one to beholdAlfa is a splendid one to beholdAlfa is a splendid one to beholdAlfa is a splendid one to beholdAlfa is a splendid one to beholdAlfa is a splendid one to beholdAlfa is a splendid one to beholdAlfa is a splendid one to beholdAlfa is a splendid one to beholdAlfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Flett View Post
True, but interestingly, the smoke trail isn't from point of launch but only once in flight.
If you are referring to the video(around 0:46), then it looks more like the missile is starting to pull a vapour trail as it gains altitude - and that lingers a lot longer than smoke(see at ~ 1:31 ) .

Last edited by Alfa; 11-16-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Alfa is offline   Reply With Quote