Which HOTAS?? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-17-2018, 08:44 AM   #1
GhostAngel

Default Which HOTAS??

Hi Newbee here , looking for some advise on which HOTAS also rudder pedals to buy? Any advice greatly appreciated.
GhostAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #2
Seb71

You should give your price range. And prepare to be shocked by the total price of a good setup.
Seb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #3
EightyEightMike (Mongo)

Personally, I love my TMW HOTAS and Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals. They do everything I need them to do and I have never had an issue with ghost presses or anything like that. Vipril also makes a great product though I've never used one personally.

Steer clear of the Saitek X-55 unless you also do space Sims. It's $150 of garbage.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
EightyEightMike (Mongo) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:57 PM   #4
Fri13

I would put money to savings to get at least 450-600 € before considering a good HOTAS.

Like the cheapest and most "common one" would be CH fighterstick, throttle and pedals. Each about 150€. I would skip all the Saitek (Logitech these days) and even Thrustmaster Warthog (too many gimbal problems).

And do just the simple thing, get the VKB or Virpil stick and throttle when both have them in store. You can get as well their pedals too. But you will be paying far more than what CH hotas system is, but you will get more for your money (features and performance too).

So I say you have good three choices, CH, VKB and Virpil. And then if really must to do a compromise, a Thrustmaster. Skip else if just possible.

If want to get for ultra cheap, seek second hand CH fighterstick and throttle and combine with some cheap pedals.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:03 PM   #5
Sokol1_br
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br

> $100

Thrustmaster HOTAS X/4 - Well is "HOTAS", but don't expect miracles. Twist and rocker rudder control

$100>200

Thrustmaster FCS (T.16000M+TWCS throttle) - add rudder pedals optional (twist and rocker rudder control)

Saitek X-52/X-52 PRO - add rudder pedals optional (twist rudder control)

VKB Gladiator (a better stick than T.16000M) + TWCS - add rudder pedals optional (twist and rocker rudder control)

$200>400

Saitek X-56 - add rudder pedals optional (twist rudder control)

CH combo (Fighterstick, PRO throttle) - add rudder pedals required.

$400+

Warthog - add rudder pedals required (~$90 to ~$500+)

VKB or VPC stick + TWCS or CH PRO or Warthog or GVL224 custom throttles or 'soon™' VPC throttle (VKB await 2019) - add rudder pedals required.
Sokol1_br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:00 PM   #6
Womb_Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightyEightMike (Mongo) View Post
Personally, I love my TMW HOTAS and Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals. They do everything I need them to do and I have never had an issue with ghost presses or anything like that. Vipril also makes a great product though I've never used one personally.

Steer clear of the Saitek X-55 unless you also do space Sims. It's $150 of garbage.

I have owned an X-55 for 3 years now.

I am most likely going to upgrade to a Wharthog, but what is bad about the X-55? For the price, it's a damn good peripheral. The only thing it lacks is a 4 way on the thumb part of the stick and a proper slew device on the right. It is a minor inconvenience, but not game immersion breaking.
AsRock Z97 MoBo, i5 4690k, EVGA GTX 1070 8Gb/256 Bit Black Edition, 32 GB EVGA SC RAM, 850 EVO 500GB Samsung SSD, Win 10, TM Warthog, X55 Rhino, TIR-5, Acer Main and 1 Touch Screen, Cessna Saitek Rudder Pedals, TM Cougar MFDs.
Womb_Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:27 PM   #7
crab

Can you still get an X55? However that may be the while the X56 is no substitute for the good stuff it's also a fraction of the cost and works fine for what it is: An el cheapo HOTAS. In one respect it's superior to the good stuff in that it has more buttons and programming options then anything else available. Logitech posted here that they had improved many of the quality control issues and it appears to be true. The wires out to the throttle were extended, no ghost presses, etc. A person can do a search and will find that the updated stick (black graphics replacing the blue is the easiest way to tell the difference) been getting generally good reviews over on the space forums where it's more popular due to the thumbsticks.

Not that these other gentlemen/women are wrong, you can get a much higher quality if you're willing and can afford it. And yeah, Saitek had an awful reputation for quality control which they got the old fashioned way, by earning it.

If nothing else Logitech is at least trying to reduce warranty losses by fixing the most egregious problems. It's still el cheapo but should be evaluated in it's price range where it's quality is par, not against options that triple it's cost.
crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:40 PM   #8
EightyEightMike (Mongo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womb_Raider View Post
I have owned an X-55 for 3 years now.

I am most likely going to upgrade to a Wharthog, but what is bad about the X-55? For the price, it's a damn good peripheral. The only thing it lacks is a 4 way on the thumb part of the stick and a proper slew device on the right. It is a minor inconvenience, but not game immersion breaking.
Mine had ghost presses constantly and the presses were seemingly random.. My X42 was awesome but that was bought back in 2002-2004ish.

EightyEightMike (Mongo) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:23 AM   #9
BeastyBaiter

Depends on budget. For USA buyers:

< $100: TM T.16000m

$100 to $200: X-52 Pro or TM T16000m FCS HOTAS. Each of these has their advantages.

Infinite budget: X-56 or Warthog.

For pedals you can get:
$100: CH Pedals. These are clunkly and narrow but also completely indestructible. They will outlast you.

$300: MFG Crosswinds. Widely considered the best, expect to wait months to get them though. Longevity has yet to be determined.
BeastyBaiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:45 AM   #10
hansangb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastyBaiter View Post
--snippage--

$300: MFG Crosswinds. Widely considered the best, expect to wait months to get them though. Longevity has yet to be determined.

Considering how many people have had it for years now, I think longevity question has been answered. The design itself (contactless) leads to years of service. Along with simple mechanics etc. I had my CH Combat pedals and they were OK. If you are not aiming for the "best" experience CH pedals will do fine.
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote