"sound-radar"...official opinion on it?

"sound-radar"...official opinion on it?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. "sound-radar"...official opinion on it?

• i like it, please keep it
    • i dont like it, dont think its realistic, please get rid of it

I also think that should be fixed.

Even outside of a cockpit, at airshows with props you can tell that when something as loud as a P-51 Mustang engine starts up less than 50m away from you, you almost can't hear a AN-2 at full takeoff power 200m away from you. It is much worse for the pilot.

So as (almost) always I vote for the more realistic option.

Determine if sim is in internal view, determine if engine is running. If both statements are true, mute every sound from outside that happens more than 50m away, probably with the exception of explosions or sonic booms.

That may not be really realistic either (almost nothing in the sim is, and that's ok), but it is at least more believable.

Does that hamper situational awareness?

Yeah, sure, as it should. Planes are loud. If you don't turn your head (and plane if necessary) and look around you are doing it wrong.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't tested it, but does the in helmet sound option help this?

No, because it is optional, so the guy u are attacking might have it off, not to mention it still let's the external sound through and makes you loose some fidelity of sounds of your own airplane

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

It is pretty silly to hear another prop plane from inside of another.

Once I did hear some aircraft from inside another, but I was inside a 737 at idle holding ahort and the other planes were F-16's taking off really close with full afterburner. Yeah, in that situation, you'd hear them.

A P-51 sneaking up behind a FW-190, who's pilot is sitting a few feet behind a V-12 at 2600 RPM at high altitude? Probably not.

If we're going for realism, there is only one correct option.

I feel bad for people trying to spot targets...I'm one of them. But, hey, TrackIR sells for a reason and we don't have an auto-padlock key for people who don't own one.

Go real or go home, as they say...or at least go to War Thunder or Ace Combat.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zilch79's YouTube Channel:

It is pretty silly to hear another prop plane from inside of another.

Once I did hear some aircraft from inside another, but I was inside a 737 at idle holding ahort and the other planes were F-16's taking off really close with full afterburner. Yeah, in that situation, you'd hear them.

A P-51 sneaking up behind a FW-190, who's pilot is sitting a few feet behind a V-12 at 2600 RPM at high altitude? Probably not.

If we're going for realism, there is only one correct option.

I feel bad for people trying to spot targets...I'm one of them. But, hey, TrackIR sells for a reason and we don't have an auto-padlock key for people who don't own one.

Go real or go home, as they say...or at least go to War Thunder or Ace Combat.

+1

I believe this arises from the Dynamic compression used by the Sound engine. This was an improvement made in the early DCS days and one I've hated ever since.

It Dynamically normalises the Volume of Sounds in the game world. It is like the compression used for the "Loudness wars" on digital music. The Most dramatic effect of which can be felt on the Supersonic Boom of an aircraft Flyby.

In LockOn this was a thunderous Boom, with plenty of Dynamic Range between quiet and loud, in DCS it sounds like a wet fart. The Current sound engine normalizes quiet sound up in volume and noisy sounds down, in real time, in order to avoid clipping.

This strips all sound in DCS of all Dynamic range, removing detail from the sound-scape and produces oddities such as Sound Radar.

From Speaking to c0ff about this very issue (quite some time ago though), it is unlikely to be fixed.

Nate

From Speaking to c0ff about this very issue (quite some time ago though), it is unlikely to be fixed.

e

Sad to hear this. Strangely enough I know of at least one sound mod for the 109 (IDB v2.0 by 5utka) that manages to fix it. It's possible he just made the engine so loud in comparison that you couldn't hear it anymore. TBH idc how ED does it but since it is clearly possible by modders I would hope that they could get it done as well....

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Sad to hear this. Strangely enough I know of at least one sound mod for the 109 (IDB v2.0 by 5utka) that manages to fix it. It's possible he just made the engine so loud in comparison that you couldn't hear it anymore. TBH idc how ED does it but since it is clearly possible by modders I would hope that they could get it done as well....

You can still hear other aircraft near you with his mod if you idle your engine. But otherwise, yeah, it is an improvement.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Ok. Tbh I would prefer hearing them at idle to hearing them always though. The time where hearing aircraft makes the most difference is when being Boom and Zoomed. Usually aircraft are running at at least cruise power then so i'd guess it would at least solve that problem.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

• 7 months later...

Yeah. I've been saying for years, this is the largest flaw with DCS as a simulator, by far. All of the other flaws with the simulation of each aircraft are relatively little things, but this is big and global. Richthofen himself couldn't have replicated his success in DCS, because of this sound physics error.

• 2 weeks later...

:smilewink:Hello, My 2 cents worth....

I'm sorry but.. if a 1500 to 2200 HP engine is on your 6 from shooting distance...with a 2 inch stack on the Exhaust,... maybe the first thing you should hear is the cannons...

what I'm trying to say is maybe I should have seen him before he/they got so close...:pilotfly:

Edited by Andy1966
not clear thought

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

People can seriously abuse this for their own unrealistic gain. The video below is an example of what I'm talking about. This pilot has added a sound mod that passes the integrity check.

This pilot checks his six at exactly the moment he 'hears' a 109 at 300 yards behind him. A 109 which is 10x louder than a Packard Merlin 3ft away:

This is a fundamental and serious issue.

yea, I see what you all mean now... however, the first engagement was 3 vs one and the gunnery was poor on 51s part... however the helmet and ambient noise of the aircraft should have negated it somewhat (the sound of the enemy aircraft)it also sounded like they had the cockpit sounds turned way down and the world sounds turned way up.... there is no way to balance GUI from that aspect... but sound mods should trip Integrity Check ,I agree

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just now noted the thread about me, so just repeat the comment on youtube

"I exporting what? All players got the same levels and hear the other planes, but isn't an help. The sound is only a thing that you could help, but you check the six with the eyes. But is totally ridicolous, you can see the other videos from other players, and the level is same.

Btw this is happened (not now, remember you that new mp check don't permits mods) only with the K-4, and not doras. But I break also a Dora flight on my six.

Honestly don't think that the sound levels could be so interpreted"

Maybe before to open "brown candies" storm and downvote on yt, check the video date

S!

IndiaFoxtEcho Textures Artist

My DCS liveries on UserFiles page here

Anyway they are right, is a bit unrealistic e a bit helpful (but not so much in the end), but honestly never tought that loud sound could help.

Not now, mp chek It should prevent it, so I think isn't a currently problem

IndiaFoxtEcho Textures Artist

My DCS liveries on UserFiles page here

As inconvienamt as it might be, the sounds that is. We are only here for the realisum and so must accept the good and the bed...other aircraft could be heard 75 years ago according to those pilots

Really, have you got a source for that?

I have been hunting for this information for a long time and have been unable to find it. I have only the following:

1. Johnnie Johnson mentioned in "Wing leader" that he could hear his own Canons over the top of the "roar" of his engine. This alone suggests how loud the spitfire is for the pilot flying it.

2. There is a quote in Brian Kingcombe's book where he says he flew so close to a Dornier 17 that he heard the rear-MG chatters has passed under it. No mention of hearing its engine. He claims he was within 20 yards at the time.

3. I have a mate who is currently a S/L in the RAF flying the Hawk. He told me that he cannot hear his wingmen unless they zoom past at full thorttle, or if he is flying directly under their tail in tight formation. Obviously this is jets.. so less relevant to warbirds, but still gives us some clues.

4. There is only one video online I can find with tight formation flying in warbirds that doesn't have music over the top. It is very hard to tell from the audio if there are other ewngines present besised the aircraft where the camera is located. I certainly can't pick out the other aircraft engines even when they are less than 20 feet away - but we can't vouch for the quality of the recording device and it's frequency range:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxvzYxptgHA

5. I've never read a single combat report or pilot memoir where the noise of an enemy aircraft tipped the pilot off to his presence.

Edited by philstyle
spelling

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

People can seriously abuse this for their own unrealistic gain. The video below is an example of what I'm talking about. This pilot has added a sound mod that passes the integrity check

This is a fundamental and serious issue.

if you dont do it its your own fault, around 80% of all onlinepilots use it because they probably dont want to have a disadvantage over the others

Wow, blatant cheating going on by exploiting the sound engine and the integrity check, so much for "integrity".

Fulcrum29

WOW ... really ??? ... its an Ingame option to hear these sounds(hear like in helmet OFF->soundradar; ON-> No soundradar) and you call somebody you never spoke to a cheater ?? .... pretty poor imho ... if i were you, i would apologize

As inconvienamt as it might be, the sounds that is. We are only here for the realisum and so must accept the good and the bed...other aircraft could be heard 75 years ago according to those pilots

Please ... speak for yourself .... i for my part am here to have fun and because nobody actually has to die

Just as a genereal sidenote:

i generally dont use it(tried it since 2 days but i turn it off again because i dont like the sound of the engines with it), and i dont like it!

BUT it is built in the game and therefore it isnt a cheat - its a fact and we all have to deal with it.

dont use it - have a disadvantage over the guys using it.

use it - feel bad because "some guys on the internet said that pilots 70years ago heard it"

its up to everybody himself , but PLEASE stop call guys cheaters because theyre using ffeatures built in the game.

if you dont like playing against people who use it - maybe better stick to singleplayer

please dont tell others how to play theire game .... its getting old

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are two types of fighter pilots - those who have, and those who will execute a magnificent break turn towards a bug on the canopy . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/user/schnarrsonvomdach

http://www.twitch.tv/schnarre

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Schnarre-Schnarrson/876084505743788?fref=ts