Helicopter EFM Demo - Page 9 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-27-2020, 11:13 AM   #81
Rifter

Just to ‘hype’ this thread a little bit more for all you rotorheads:
Nibbylot not only created the foundation for an OH-6 flight model.
It is also a blueprint for at least any other helo which is included in the test data of the NASA document.
That means the flight model could also be used as a starting point for a AH-1G since all the data for that bird is also included in the NASA document.

A question for nibbylot:

The aerodynamics data of the NASA document is so to say the data backbone of your flight model.
You transferred the table data of the NASA document (page 26 and following) one-to-one into the file AH6AeroData.h.

DCS has the particularity of swapped axes in it’s coordinate system (y and z are swapped compared to the ‘official’ definition in the aerospace industry).
From my understanding that means that transferring data from an original source with the official x,y,z-scheme has to be adapted to the DCS coordinate system.

CptSmiley did that in his F16 flight model too. He swapped the y and z axis data compared to the original source which he used as input.
For example he did not just takeover the moments of inertia values as they can be found in the original source but he swapped the values of y and z against each other.

In the file API_Declare.h the coordinate system is defined according to the DCS notation.
Body coordinate system system is always X - positive forward, Y - positive up, Z - positive to right.
Does that mean your flight model handles the axis swap ‘internally’ so input data of an original source can be used without axis swap?

Could say some clarifying words on that topic?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Rifter; 06-27-2020 at 11:16 AM.
Rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:51 PM   #82
simpilothr

Hello!
Firstly I would want to thank nibbylot for providing us all with a free helicopter! It looks fantastic and I can't wait to see further development of the Little Bird! Thank you!
But the thing is...I can't map any flight controls. What I mean by that is the only mappable buttons I can configure is the cyclic trim and the throttle. No collective or cyclic.
I tried reinstalling the mod and replacing the EFB source code, but no dice.
I followed Grim Reapers' tutorial too, but it just doesn't work for me.
I'll see if there are any new DCS updates, and if that works I'll let you know.

Once again, thanks!
simpilothr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:13 PM   #83
simpilothr

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpilothr View Post
Hello!
Firstly I would want to thank nibbylot for providing us all with a free helicopter! It looks fantastic and I can't wait to see further development of the Little Bird! Thank you!
But the thing is...I can't map any flight controls. What I mean by that is the only mappable buttons I can configure is the cyclic trim and the throttle. No collective or cyclic.
I tried reinstalling the mod and replacing the EFB source code, but no dice.
I followed Grim Reapers' tutorial too, but it just doesn't work for me.
I'll see if there are any new DCS updates, and if that works I'll let you know.

Once again, thanks!
As I expected, didn't fix the issue...welp
simpilothr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:18 PM   #84
petsild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Черный Дракул View Post
Everything looks cool except for the flickering rotor. I guess there's a problem with rotor speed LOD switching, where max-speed rotor should look like a blurred ring or something like that. If kept separate, it will be flickering.
If I'm not mistaken greater transparency will solve the texturing.

Otherwise again great progress, I'm looking forward to the next improvements.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:46 PM   #85
petsild

That Littlebird reluctantly gaining altitude, nor will it help the speed with full collective.
Today I've done this with the Huey, the fully loaded calmly rises from a place much more efficiently.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:43 AM   #86
Lupo86

Default Colevtive and Cycclic tuning

Firstly I would want to thank nibbylot for this free helicopter, which was missing for a long time.
Since I am not proficient in tweaking the flight model and the controls I would like to make some suggestions for those who are.
1. The controls stay most of the time near the limit (especially the collective) which restrict tuning (tuning has managed to improve the Gazelle's behaviour considerably).
2. Adding a trim button to the cyclic might help too.
Lupo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:46 AM   #87
shu77

So I figured out the issue with the rockets that has been mentioned in a number of the review videos. If you apply the default load out in the mission editor it has Practice rockets and the M-134 so the guns will do damage but the rockets wont. If you swap out the 7x practice rockets for the 19 HE rockets it does a bit better...

Metabox Alpha-X, i7-9750H, NVIDIA 1660Ti 6GB, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, TM Warthog, Saitek rudder pedals & throttle quadrant, Handbrake collective, Track IR4, Cougar MFDs, 1440p
DCS Airfield Diagrams Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog, Mustang, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, WW2 Asset pack, AH-6J, MB-339, A-4-EC, Edge 540
shu77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:27 AM   #88
Thomas Loeffelmann

Default Open Beta Version 2.5.6 50979

If I start the mission only I see the DCS World, not able to fly this MOD.

Regards
Tango Lima
Thomas Loeffelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:23 AM   #89
shu77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Loeffelmann View Post
If I start the mission only I see the DCS World, not able to fly this MOD.

Regards
Tango Lima
Did you set the aircraft as player?

Metabox Alpha-X, i7-9750H, NVIDIA 1660Ti 6GB, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, TM Warthog, Saitek rudder pedals & throttle quadrant, Handbrake collective, Track IR4, Cougar MFDs, 1440p
DCS Airfield Diagrams Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog, Mustang, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, WW2 Asset pack, AH-6J, MB-339, A-4-EC, Edge 540
shu77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:03 PM   #90
Thomas Loeffelmann

Yes player, client, hot start ground and air not working

Regards
Tango Lima
Thomas Loeffelmann is offline   Reply With Quote