Ukraine Boeing 737 with at least 160 aboard crashes

Weta43

Same reason USS Vincennes shot down Iran Air Flight 655*

People panic under stress.

That seems to be the most plausible explanation right now.

Remember the FAA had told US civilian aircraft to exit the area, and both Al Jazeera and at least 1 website had reported that B-52's had left Diego Garcia for Iran. They'd have been waiting for something inbound...

That's the point. B-52s don't just appear on a radar scope out of thin air. And most definitely not around 8000 ft MSL. And probably not flying inland and outbound from the country's capital.

Assuming the route took the flight towards a military base, as Iran claimed, it still seems extremely unlikely to me that any US aircraft, let alone a B-52, would be approaching the base from there.

Now, it seems likely that SAM operators were under immense pressure at the time, and I guess they were very likely to assume hostile intent. But from my point of view, everything about that particular flight was practically screaming to be the least likely attack path: southwest of Tehran, outbound to the northwest, slow but slowly accelerating, low but slowly climbing, known departure route from the country's biggest airport, scheduled flight, at least ADS-B operational, almost certainly in radio contact with the tower (departure controller)... it just doesn't make any sense to shoot that down.

I don't know if SAM systems like SA-15 are receiving ADS-B ?

Yes I know, we all have Flight Radar 24 or something like that on our smartphone, but it doesn't mean that SAM operators are using it.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Sadly I think those things will happen again and again if idiots are in charge on at least one or worse both sides.

The ones to blame are imho not the officer who had to make a splitt second decision but the two clowns who's names we all know.

Innocent Blood on their hands is their pay, what a dirty show.

Only “clowns” I know were left out of the loop because they cannot keep their mouths shut!

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

• ED Team

Hi all

A reminder politics is not welcome here, we have users from all over the globe with different views and opinions.

If this thread is derailed we will close it.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Iran are claiming their comms were jammed.

https://twitter.com/statuses/1215946884604407808

I don't want to enter into politics as BIGNEWY said, but Iranian authorities lied so much already about that disaster that it's hard to give credit to their explanations.

Just thinking about it, since USA didn't retaliate to the last Iranian strike, and it was very soon after Iranian missiles launch, what or who could have caused the Iranian SAM defense network jamming ?

The flight radar report shows a normal departure trajectory.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Tragic. Sounds like gross incompetence from both the SA-15 operator and the Iranian government for not closing down the airspace for the time being when they knew their air defense systems would be on alert.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

I don't want to enter into politics as BIGNEWY said, but Iranian authorities lied so much already about that disaster that it's hard to give credit to their explanations.

Just thinking about it, since USA didn't retaliate to the last Iranian strike, and it was very soon after Iranian missiles launch, what or who could have caused the Iranian SAM defense network jamming ?

The flight radar report shows a normal departure trajectory.

That could be a translation issue, I read elsewhere that it wasn't jamming but he simply couldn't reach a higher authority in time.

Extremely sad news, and I am personally appalled.

I have learnt a new English word which describes very well the way I feel about this accident, too.

On the technical side, I’ve heard at the newscast that two missiles were shot and that the first one missed the target. I find this quite weird because the target was big, little maneuvrable, subsonic and it wasn’t even trying to evade the missile.

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer

Hmmm... They said they thought it was a cruise missile.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/11/world/middleeast/plane-crash.html

It strikes me as odd that a 70m long plane with a 60m wingspan was mistaken for a 5m long cruise missile and why would a cruise missile need two SAM hits to bring it down?

So many questions, don't the SAM operators communicate with air traffic control or at least have knowledge of scheduled flights? Do they not have radars that can distinguish between objects of entirely different sizes and shapes?