Leatherneck Simulations Mini-Update - SEPTEMBER 2015

Cobra847

Hmmm. Cobra's Black Sheep avatar. The Marine Corps squadron VMA-214 are known as The Black Sheep. They currently operate the Harrier II.

• New and unique PFM features and aerodynamic configurations

• New or unique methods of propulsion or force distribution

• Far more complex avionic and computer systems than in the MiG-21

Don't the Marine Corps' Harrier's have the APG-65 radar system? Isn't one of the APG-65's modes Real Beam Ground Mapping?

• Ground Mapping and Targeting Radar

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I've almost convinced myself. :)

Hmm...maybe...

But my counter is:

The Viggen has canards with flaps - novel configuration.

The Viggen has thrust reversers! Don't know of any other DCS aircraft with thrust reversers.

The Viggen has pretty advanced avionics for it's day - could easily be more advanced than the F-14A/B. The Tomcat's only truly advanced component was the AWG-9 (first RADAR signal processor), most other avionics were incremental updates from the A-6 and F-4.

The Viggen has ground radar and ground mapping (from what I read).

I am quite hopeful for the Harrier, but luckily Razbam has expressed great interest in bringing it to DCS.

My money (so to speak) is still on VMF-214 with the F4U-1 (as part of a bigger DCS: WWII - PTO project with the P-40F and maybe something else) and the Viggen.

Fun to think about the possibilities! Everything is still a guess.

-Nick

We hope to announce one of these, which is part of a larger project during the month of September, and the other in October.

As we announce our new and upcoming products, you'll be bombarded with screenshots, videos, written previews, livestreams, and much more. Stay tuned!

We very much look forward to you all enjoying another Leatherneck product soon ! :)

[/indent]

I just thought about this...if they plan to have media including written previews (as in tester reviews?) and lots of visual media - then these modules must be quite far along. Like...internal testing phase as we speak (perhaps one of the "a most interesting selection of aircraft" that Charly Owl was referring to)?

http://www.mudspike.com/dcs-world-2-preview-wwii-air-combat/

Is it possible that we might go from announcement to download within just a couple of months? That would be unprecedented!

I really hope they make the announcement this month. I need a new trailer to watch!

-Nick

Nice update, thanks Cobra!

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

and having a manual with that many pages

Or maybe just that their editing sucks (as in they don't throw anything away) ;)

I like the Harrier II idea; that would really be awesome with some assault ships, but I fear "part of the bigger project" sounds more like a PTO with all those F4U and P-38 hints.

Dang, it will be a looong September now :) (after an already long August)

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Good morning update! :)

Looking forward to see the maps and map tools (maybe) later on this year!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Amen.

Those engines are definitely complex, and with having to do 2 different kinds for basically 1 new plane is a first for any DCS module.

*To the tune of Speedracer*

Go Leather-neck! Go Leather-neck! Go Leatherneck Goooooooooo! :pilotfly:

Frisco1522

They'd be averaging 1 engine per module if they followed the F-14 up with a F-111 (It also used the TF30). Of course, they'd have to implement Dump-and-Burn capabilities, which might take a while...

Thanks for the update! Can hardly wait to see what you guys going to reveal!!! :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CM HAF-X | Corsair HX1000i | ASUS P8P67Pro | Intel Core i7 2600 @ 4.0GHz | Corsair CWCH70 | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS GeForce GTX 970 4GB | Plextor M5Pro 256GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB * 2 RAID 0 | WD Caviar Green 2TB | Windows 10 Professional X64 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedal

Thanks for the update, really interesting information.

As a Swede, im obviously hoping for the glorious Viggen that i saw so much growing up but im keen for the modern plane whatever it is!

Also, welcome to the new member of your dev team.

**** yeah! Sorry for my words, but damn... I'm really excited right now! One of the best news updates ever, and you say it's just a mini-update?! shocking.gif

Apart from all the great exciting new stuff I wanna say, that I really appreciate the continuous work on the Fishbed!

A huge thank you from my side for this update! worthy.gif

Keep up the awesome work! :thumbup:

Now I can't concentrate on work anymore...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Great update. Thanks!

One thing keeps nagging me though so I have to ask. Why announce the F14 before these 'mystery' modules that are so much further along in development? It just seems counter intuitive to me...

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Hmmm, with one of the unannounced being possibly more complex than the F-14 systems and having a manual with that many pages, sounds like we are looking at a plane that is newer than the F-14.

Please for the love of all thats good in the world let it be a MiG 31.....

Hmmm, with one of the unannounced being possibly more complex than the F-14 systems and having a manual with that many pages, sounds like we are looking at a plane that is newer than the F-14.

Nah it's probably the F5E or aka mig28.

I will have my helmet on and wait in the basement

For the bombardment to begin.:pilotfly::pilotfly:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Great update guys! Thanks for all your hard work, looking forward to the future!

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

Please for the love of all thats good in the world let it be a MiG 31.....

F-14 vs. MiG-31 That's sound interesting!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CM HAF-X | Corsair HX1000i | ASUS P8P67Pro | Intel Core i7 2600 @ 4.0GHz | Corsair CWCH70 | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS GeForce GTX 970 4GB | Plextor M5Pro 256GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB * 2 RAID 0 | WD Caviar Green 2TB | Windows 10 Professional X64 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedal

Thanks a lot for the update, it is very much appreciated. I am most exited about the effort you put into the theaters. And while the the announcement dates for the 2 aircraft are being pushed back, the release dates apparently aren't. Which means once we know what it is, we should also get our hands on them pretty soon.

As BlackLion213 notes, I think the new developed technologies solidify the AJ37 Viggen as the modern specimen of the two unannounced aircraft (ground mapping radar, new missiles, CRT, candards, thrust reverser).

Based on what we know so far, my predictions are as follows:

F4U Corsair - Pacific island map

AJ37 Viggen - Gotland map

F-14A/B - Aleutians-Kamchatka map

Great update. Thanks!

One thing keeps nagging me though so I have to ask. Why announce the F14 before these 'mystery' modules that are so much further along in development? It just seems counter intuitive to me...

A guess would be that they are trying to build hype, the F-14 would be a smash hit no matter what becouse of Top Gun and its many fans across the world, but them not announcing what what the other two aircrafts has made atleast everybody that i know that plays DCS talking about what it might be and it seems like the speculation threads on here is some of the most active threads on the DCS forums as a whole at the moment.