Something Something...

-Rudel-

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's actually the mount for a high end bicycle seat.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

From all suggestions some details are missing and given the picture is so simple all little things should fit and any little difference should exclude "the candidate".

Yeah, I immediately noticed this distinctive protrusion on the strut dampener (or whatever) past the attachment point (marked on the left side of your pic) and unless I'm mistaken, it's not present on any of the suggestions thus far.

It could be just an early stage, though, but weren't the other two planes further along with development?

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Yeah, I immediately noticed this distinctive protrusion on the strut dampener (or whatever) past the attachment point (marked on the left side of your pic) and unless I'm mistaken, it's not present on any of the suggestions thus far.

It could be just an early stage, though, but weren't the other two planes further along with development?

well looking at the picture it appears like that protrusion wouldn't even clear... Seems like a WIP or a faulty landing gear :)

N1K's had some serious landing gear issues to start, don't know what they looked like ,the original ones, as they were replaced back then even.

I dunno, whatever it is it's going to be cool.

my 3 guesses, J2M, N1K, F7F (just because :pilotfly: )

Personally, I really hope it's not the Raiden.

It's one of the least aesthetically pleasing Japanese World War 2 aircraft I have ever seen.

It looks like a P-47 Thunderbolt that got squished in half, length wise.

I'll admit I've never been big on Japanese WWII fighters, though a big part of that was a disinterest in the radial engine look in general, which is changing as radials are starting to grow on me. I'd prefer a Zero as well for looks (though Raiden is growing on me a bit) but Raiden would probably compete better with US planes.

There is a pretty decent chance it'll be a Raiden though if it is indeed a Japanese plane, since others saw what looked like a Raiden icon on Rudel's stream and his avatar is creator of the Zero - who also worked on the design of the Raiden if I recall.

As for not matching 100%, this could be a work in progress shot. Either from earlier in the development or he could be reworking it. Or Rudel could be screwing with us a bit, which has the higher probability. Either way, I don't think we're looking at the gear of their other modern plane.

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

Given that this landing gear is probably a Zeke's, fitting with Rudel's avatar and LN are only going to release 1 WW2 bird, i think it is the A6M2.

It should be a fair opponent to VEAO's Wildcat and I 'd bet that they are releasing Midway with it, which should be an easy map to make.

EDIT : Rudel, are you also making SBDs and Vals for AI?

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

Just a thought, everyone is assuming it's a main strut. Could it not also be a back wheel or the front of a tricycle arrangement?

I haven't seen one with that same configuration for the rear wheels, and I might be ashamed to admit it, but since it was a pain finding good pictures or all the possibilities so I spent time looking over Jap and US planes in war thunder The only one I saw that looked similar in a backwheel was the P-39/P-400/P-63's but they were oriented backwards.

Edited by Mudcat

Here's a problem - even if you get a good photo of a restored Zero, or whatever, how do you know the gear looks exactly like the original? I doubt it's ever 100% fidelity to original blueprints.

That narrows it down to completely intact museum-pieces and original drawings. The detail required to guess here is very, very fine.

Just a thought, everyone is assuming it's a main strut. Could it not also be a back wheel or the front of a tricycle arrangement?

Possible, but I've looked at a lot of nose-gears and tailwheels, no matches. Plus, the orientation of the oleo at 180 deg to the wheel axle is really unusual in a nose-gear or tailwheel, because it requires more space of the retracted gear. Nearly every nose-gear/tailwheel I've seen as the oleo pointing forward or backward (F-4 is oblique, but still mostly pointing forward).

It looks the most like a A6M2 after more pictures. The shape of the wheel cradle is the part that doesn't seem to match as well, but it is probably the way that I am interpreting the render.

-Nick

Still nothing of the suggestions fits with the OP.... Either, yall are way off, or the WIP still got a long way ahead :P

Do you expect a 50% hit or a 100%? With the MiG-21 and the LNS allready have stated that theyre raising the bars, its really such a shame to see that you all seem to jugde this all bout what you want to see in the game, rather then what it could actually be....

I expect 100% modeling or I will be dissapointed! Please dont say otherwise guys and no, I wouldnt be able to do a better job myself..!

DCS: All in for realism, all in for accuracy - please community dont say its ok to give us something that just LOOKS something like the real thing just becouse it got a few angles done right...

If it end up being a WWII plane I'd be greatly dissapointed...

• Like 1

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

If it end up being a WWII plane I'd be greatly dissapointed...

They did say something for just about everyone. The other side of that coin is that means not everyone will be excited about all of their forthcoming modules. I have never been a fan of WWII Japanese planes (except the Ki-46... it just looks right) but others are and will get great enjoyment out of a high fidelity Zero. Will I purchase the Zero? Probably not. I will get great enjoyment shooting them down in the F4U if LN makes a module of that. I do like WWII American and German planes.

To me it looks like the F-14A/B Tomcat, F4U Corsair and A6M Zeke are probably the three modules being touted for this coming year.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

All I can say is that the oleo we've been shown on that picture wouldn't work if it's ever supposed to compress fully, as the torque sticks, or links (what'ever you wanna call'em), vary too much in length based on their relative placement.

AI also think is a WIP picture... the protrusion would also hit the strut after shot compression and looks dangerous if a hard landing is done.

P39 or P63 has main struts that resembles a bit with this but not completely. It should be a lighter plane though... probably WW2.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

They did say something for just about everyone. The other side of that coin is that means not everyone will be excited about all of their forthcoming modules. I have never been a fan of WWII Japanese planes (except the Ki-46... it just looks right) but others are and will get great enjoyment out of a high fidelity Zero. Will I purchase the Zero? Probably not. I will get great enjoyment shooting them down in the F4U if LN makes a module of that. I do like WWII American and German planes.

To me it looks like the F-14A/B Tomcat, F4U Corsair and A6M Zeke are probably the three modules being touted for this coming year.

That matches most of the hints, except that Cobra said on SimHQ forum that one of the other two modules was "modern". I feel confident that one of the modules is WWII and hopefully south pacific. However, I have a suspicion that this module may include 2 aircraft - both the F4U and A6M - at least based on the clues (and my hopes - would be really cool - but rather optimistic on my part).

It has been said explicitly that one of the unannounced modules is modern, these renders seem related to the WWII module.

After looking at too many pics, this strut is almost definitely a Japanese mainmount, just a matter of which aircraft (most resembles the A6M to my eyes).

-Nick

I hope the modern precedes the older generation.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Given that this landing gear is probably a Zeke's, fitting with Rudel's avatar and LN are only going to release 1 WW2 bird, i think it is the A6M2.

It should be a fair opponent to VEAO's Wildcat and I 'd bet that they are releasing Midway with it, which should be an easy map to make.

EDIT : Rudel, are you also making SBDs and Vals for AI?

Midway would be awsome than if they did the Yorktown...with other japanese naval aircraft an also 1 or 2 Japanese carriers.

A module may not mean a solitary aircraft, though.

After all, they promised that new planes will come with maps. Why not also bundle them with opponents?

My wishful thinking is that :

1. They are releasing a PTO map with period units (carriers, etc)

2. Zeke is the first bird

3. A single WW2 bird in a PTO scenario wouldn't make sense. So they would have to be modelling AI opponents

4. The next step after the Zeke would be something like F6F or F4U, which is not included in the 3 planned aircrafts, but scheduled for release next year, hence the cockpit shots

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

My wishful thinking is that :

1. They are releasing a PTO map with period units (carriers, etc)

2. Zeke is the first bird

3. A single WW2 bird in a PTO scenario wouldn't make sense. So they would have to be modelling AI opponents

4. The next step after the Zeke would be something like F6F or F4U, which is not included in the 3 planned aircrafts, but scheduled for release next year, hence the cockpit shots

Luckily this seems quite plausible, I would also LOVE this scenario.

-Nick

P-40, P-47 are in the works. At some point, a Hellcat and Corsair.

Much as I hate Axis forces, there has to be some sort of Jap plane to balance the load. I just hope it isn't some sort of superbird.

As for bundles? I think a good map with opposing planes is a good idea. And yeah, the newer birds can wait. :D

Dogs of War Squadron

Call sign "HeadHunter" P-51D /Spitfire Jockey

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )