Kiowa Warrior Cockpit picture

Darkreaver1980

I think this is the most modern module in DCS. The OH-58D entered service in 1985

I'm excited for the Kiowa as well, but this isn't correct at all...

• Like 1

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

I think this is the most modern module in DCS. The OH-58D entered service in 1985:

This is gona be day 1 for me. This is literaly screams FLY ME! :D

JF-17 will be the most modern module

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

• 2 weeks later...

@Darkreaver1980

it is the helicopter that had first a glass cockpit integrate in the western world. So back in the days it was a ultra top modern helicopter and partially ahead of its time.

Over the year this project had a few upgrades, but was always hold a bit back in favour of the RAH66 program, that unfortunately was cancelled.

So basically the RAH66 was build with the knowledge and lessons learned from the Oh58D Kiowa Warrior and the AH64

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what this instrument in the OH-58D Kiowa is for? I have read the manual which lists all the other functionality, but this item appears not listed in most manuals. Also, on most cockpit pictures it appears that this item is removed with a simple blank panel installed in place of it.

m7PMtm8.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Groundpounder extraordinaire

SPECS: i7-4790K, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 16 GB RAM, MSI GTX 980ti, Thrustmaster WARTHOG HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals, TrackIR 5

Does anyone know what this instrument in the OH-58D Kiowa is for? I have read the manual which lists all the other functionality, but this item appears not listed in most manuals. Also, on most cockpit pictures it appears that this item is removed with a simple blank panel installed in place of it.

m7PMtm8.jpg

Hi Nanne118.

There is a reason why it was removed in the export versions. Why I do not know the contracts of the exports, but matter of fact is, this little device there is called CMWS or pilots call is "Seemaws".

It is a pretty usefull and small but awesome device that is connected to sensors outside of the aircraft. I do not want to spill to much about it, but we hope to be able to show it soon in action in a video. Step by step but steady and you will reach the finishline

I hope I could help you a bit on your question, and no, you will not find it in the kiowa manual on the internet that was issued 1999. The system was not operational by then, so it can not be in any document you find online.

Cheers

Over the year this project had a few upgrades, but was always hold a bit back in favour of the RAH66 program, that unfortunately was cancelled.

So basically the RAH66 was build with the knowledge and lessons learned from the Oh58D Kiowa Warrior and the AH64

I hate you from using a keyword "RAH-66".... Now my week is ruined as can't day pass by that I get wishes to fly that one....

Now I need to go install some other old simulators to fly that thingie...

Damn you!

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Why I do not know the contracts of the exports, but matter of fact is, this little device there is called CMWS or pilots call is "Seemaws".

it's an "AN/AAR-57 Common Missile Warning Systems"

http://prntscr.com/pvkw61

The screen come from this document:

https://books.google.fr/books?id=57UHMjhYcpsC&pg=PA20&lpg=PA20&dq=kiowa+CMWS&source=bl&ots=2KwzkOwKRS&sig=ACfU3U3cEd9dC-Ug1X4pglXf3KfIsJg3Pw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi5z5_n_-LlAhWRMBQKHRtbBqMQ6AEwBXoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=kiowa%20CMWS&f=false

Edited by peeter

• 3 months later...

Loving Seemaws already, feel like I loved her long time.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

• 8 months later...

m7PMtm8.jpg

I just noticed the M4s strapped to the dash--that's pretty cool.

• 7 months later...
On 11/19/2020 at 1:23 AM, GoodHope said:

I just noticed the M4s strapped to the dash--that's pretty cool.

During Gulf War I, we used velcro and strapped M16s and 4 magazines behind the pilot seats in the electrical compartment. This was an attempt to augment our fierce little 38s

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I do think it'd be a nice feature to be able to remove some of the items from the dash. Some of us will be creating peacetime scenarios (or scenarios which are a bit too early for the gunsight)... so having options to hide some of the dash items might be very good for immersion (and clean up the forward view a bit).

I do intend to fly this thing as a 1980/1990s era 'CH-136' in Canadian use... I know it won't be completely accurate (especially the avionics), but it'd still be nice to clear up the dash. I'm sure lots of people have other scenarios for which the smoke and model of rifle don't fit.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Avimimus said:

I do think it'd be a nice feature to be able to remove some of the items from the dash. Some of us will be creating peacetime scenarios (or scenarios which are a bit too early for the gunsight)... so having options to hide some of the dash items might be very good for immersion (and clean up the forward view a bit).

I do intend to fly this thing as a 1980/1990s era 'CH-136' in Canadian use... I know it won't be completely accurate (especially the avionics), but it'd still be nice to clear up the dash. I'm sure lots of people have other scenarios for which the smoke and model of rifle don't fit.

Id rather have the M4 removed from the cockpit and put in my hand so i can fire this out of my open side. The poor mans AerialWeaponSystem you could call it... 😂

• Like 2

On 3/7/2023 at 10:45 PM, TheGhostOfDefi said:

Id rather have the M4 removed from the cockpit and put in my hand so i can fire this out of my open side. The poor mans AerialWeaponSystem you could call it... 😂

At one point it was discussed the player will be able to do just that. No idea If we will see it in the module.

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

On 3/7/2023 at 2:06 PM, Avimimus said:

I also want to fly 1980s Cold War Kiowa. There is Polychp's quote:

"We have made the decision to present the whole timeline of the aircraft from 1984 till 2017 with some exceptions to avionics. This means the product will include the OH-58D Kiowa (no weapons pylons), the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior from 1992 till 2006 and the latest aircraft of 2017 all in one module”.

Edited by bies
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, bies said:

I also want to fly 1980s Cold War Kiowa. There is Polychp's quote:

Ah! That does mean that the cosmetics of the cockpit (e.g. weapon stowage) will likely come in multiple variations!

Anyway, that decision probably moves me to a day-one pre-order 🙂

• Like 2

The C8 (the Canadian version of the M4 by Colt Canada) was issued in the CF in the mid 80’s so the M4 on the dash fits fine for the Canadian theme. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

On 3/9/2023 at 10:47 AM, Stratos said:

At one point it was discussed the player will be able to do just that. No idea If we will see it in the module.

Answer was no, because with the current state of DCS infantry, you would just be firing for show, so it wouldn't be worth the time to code.

• Thanks 2