a new and exciting World War II map in development - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-23-2018, 05:05 PM   #11
Captain Orso

I hope it's not just Belgium for Bodenplatte. That would be boring - just airquake on a different map.

Looking closer at the picture, I see houses and buildings that remind me of western Europe (not a big surprise there, and one also cannot ignore that the structures might simply have been taken from ED's current catalog of structures, so it might be misleading).

It appears that the left foreground is higher than the middle distance on the right, where a bridge can be found. The bridge is certainly not very large, so the river/canal is not a major waterway like the Rhein, Wall, or Albert Canal. Also in the left rear there is a low ridge raising up.

So overall it's rather flat, but not completely, which kind of makes me think it's not Holland... maybe.

If it were Belgium, I would expect the Ardennes, but the Ardennes are not so flat. I've been in the Ardennes, but not everywhere, and it might be further west, or maybe somewhere I simply wouldn't recognize.

And maybe it really is the area already being discussed in the DCS WWII forum: DCS WWII Map Discussion, but if I wanted to hint at that, I'd probably be showing a major city's industrial district being strategically bombed, but that's just me.

Looking at the sky, it's raining but not so overcast that fighters haven't dared to start, and there is a flight of 7 single engine fighters flying over the burning town. They appear to me to be Focke-Wulf 190's (maybe A-8's? ).

If we consider major battles after Normandy what comes to my mind are Market-Garden, Wacht am Rhein, the Vogesen, and the push into the Ruhr, and across the Rhein. So somewhere between Switzerland and the North Sea

System Specs.
Spoiler:
System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK
CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie
CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15
Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw
PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU
Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme
System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD
Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"
VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1
Captain Orso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:09 PM   #12
Silver_Dragon
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orso View Post
Focke-Wulf 190's (maybe A-8's? ).
Remember, a Fw-190 A-8 have in progress
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=221655

DCS: Roadmap (unofficial):https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893
DCS: List of Vacant models: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.p...91#post4076891
21Squad DCS: World News: https://www.facebook.com/21Squad-219508958071000/
Silver_Dragon Youtube
Silver_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:42 PM   #13
Captain Orso

That's why I mentioned them

System Specs.
Spoiler:
System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK
CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie
CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15
Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw
PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU
Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme
System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD
Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"
VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1
Captain Orso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:37 PM   #14
Catseye

My guess would be extending England to the Thames River and London and adding more airfields south of London.
Catseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:31 PM   #15
Pikey
Veteran

I am a bit confused by the new map "semi-announcement" Cliffs of Dover.

Dover does suggest the eastern Kent area and thus Belgium and an East slant. It continues to make sense if the map stretches more East-West rather than the North-South of Normandy. Thus I am pretty much expecting more airfields on the Kent coast, possibly edges of London, then across the channel through Belgium and to Germany up to Cologne. I tried looking at major airfields for the time period for the Axis and it's a bit too complex.

I hope it's a map from an earlier period, when the Third Reich had a firm foothold, because the parts that are annoying from Normandy are the English channel crossing (being of any point at the date of the map), the excessive allied airfields you cannot remove, the German land presence and air dominance, and defending German air attacks, which as a designer I wanted to create.

Of course, most of the WW2 scenario is bottlenecked by either rigid historical timelines or lack of early war planes (plane module development).

Mosquito, A8 development are pretty important and I see these things joining for an earlier war setting on a more even keel of technology/force.

Maybe ED is looking towards these kinds of discussions to firm up what areas are of interest? I'd certainly like to see earlier in the war, earlier German bombers, Allied raids, so as to keep a more open scenario to be developed, rather than the limits of the current Normandy map which is such a precise point in time.

Although, I simply would rather they invented some tech that could remove an airfield or add it dynamically. I guess that puts them out of business though
Pikey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:34 PM   #16
adrianstealth

The Normandy map is so good
I think it should be expanded by purchasable additional sections
So it eventually covers the whole of Europe , I’d buy every additional section no problem
adrianstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:31 PM   #17
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
I am a bit confused by the new map "semi-announcement" Cliffs of Dover.
It’s been already stated that name is an old one for Normandy.

S!
Old 12-26-2018, 08:47 PM   #18
Knock-Knock

The screenshot is from the latest video, and just looks like Normandy to me, so dont think we can draw any conclusions from that shot.

https://youtu.be/RlmUWO2JL6I?t=35

| MSI Z87-G45 Gaming | i5-4670K @ 4.3Ghz | 16Gb DDR3 1600 | Asus GTX 1070 Strix OC | Samsung 850 Evo 250 & 500Gb | 40" Sony FullHD | Oculus Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick (19.5cm extension) & Throttle | MFG Crosswind | Windows 7-64 |
Knock-Knock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:54 PM   #19
Holton181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knock-Knock View Post
The screenshot is from the latest video, and just looks like Normandy to me, so dont think we can draw any conclusions from that shot.

https://youtu.be/RlmUWO2JL6I?t=35
+1
i7-3820 3.60GHz
P9X79 Pro
32GB
GTX 670 2GB
VG278H + a Dell
PFT Lynx
TrackIR 5
Holton181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:00 PM   #20
NineLine
Community Manager

Yes, I dont think any shots from the video were done on the new map, but the new map is making very good progress.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote