How do I use LGBs? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-21-2018, 05:25 PM   #21
Eagle7907

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz85UK View Post
Same issue for me, I have set up a small test scenario using a JTAC, I have a waypoint in the middle of 3 Artillery.

I follow Wags video to the letter and the GBU just free falls, never attempts to pick up a laser. Code is set on each weapon correctly.

On the odd occasion it does start to acquire a laser signal it is either way too late to adjust its trajectory onto the target or it aims for a random part of the terrain.

My mission has no issue with LOS for the laser, JTAC tells me to use GBU's and that it will be marked by laser.

No disrespect, but did you tell JTAC to turn the laser on? Also, after he responds, “Laser ON, Lasing” you still need to tell him you “spot” the laser, and then you’re “IN hot”. Then JTAC will clear you to engage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-21-2018, 05:33 PM   #22
Daz85UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle7907 View Post
No disrespect, but did you tell JTAC to turn the laser on? Also, after he responds, “Laser ON, Lasing” you still need to tell him you “spot” the laser, and then you’re “IN hot”. Then JTAC will clear you to engage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes I asked for laser on along with "spot" and "In" and have also tried with just using laser on and not saying "spot" or "in".
I just tried the same mission and I put an AGM-65E on board to see if the JTAC was actually lasing the correct target and he is. I locked using the Maverick to ensure JTAC was infact lasing, he was so I switched to GBU and this time the GBU hit.

However upon restarting the mission I asked for laser on but this time I didnt touch my maverick, I selected GBU with correct code etc etc and it didnt even attempt to pick up a laser.

Last edited by Daz85UK; 12-21-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Daz85UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:55 PM   #23
Alphamale

Hey, even if you get a Cleared Hot, there's no Azimuth Steering line and you never hear the bomb drop if you continue IN while holding the pickle button....ball and chain won't do it, or even SHOULD do it because that's a different type of deployment...there's simply no indication of a target being lased on the ground from the HUD symbology even when you select AUTO mode...the videos we saw had a Waypoint designated as the target, not a lasing platform operation

Last edited by Alphamale; 12-21-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:14 PM   #24
Eagle7907

Default How do I use LGBs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
Hey, even if you get a Cleared Hot, there's no Azimuth Steering line and you never hear the bomb drop if you continue IN while holding the pickle button....ball and chain won't do it, or even SHOULD do it because that's a different type of deployment...there's simply no indication of a target being lased on the ground from the HUD symbology even when you select AUTO mode...the videos we saw had a Waypoint designated as the target, not a lasing platform operation

That’s correct. Technically there isn’t a way to spot the laser yet since the LST isn’t implemented yet. Basically you have to just “know” where the target is and use the “ball and chain” to create a release point. It is a bit elementary but it is functional. I wish I could view a track right now, but I’m working the next 6 days.

Addendum Right now you can only conduct pre-planned attacks using waypoint releases or just knowing ahead of where the target is exactly. It will be pretty difficult do CAS missions using LGBs. The process would be very tedious because of constantly copying coordinates and creating new waypoints. The pod and Link16 will greatly reduce the workload when the time comes.

Actually you can spot the laser with a laser maverick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Eagle7907; 12-21-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Eagle7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:28 PM   #25
Eagle7907

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz85UK View Post
Yes I asked for laser on along with "spot" and "In" and have also tried with just using laser on and not saying "spot" or "in".
I just tried the same mission and I put an AGM-65E on board to see if the JTAC was actually lasing the correct target and he is. I locked using the Maverick to ensure JTAC was infact lasing, he was so I switched to GBU and this time the GBU hit.

However upon restarting the mission I asked for laser on but this time I didnt touch my maverick, I selected GBU with correct code etc etc and it didnt even attempt to pick up a laser.

Okay. What altitude are you releasing at? Are you giving the bomb enough time to acquire and adjust? What’s the waypoint elevation? What’s the target elevation? Sorry for questions. Viewing a track would be much easier.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:01 PM   #26
Alphamale

Quote:
That’s correct. Technically there isn’t a way to spot the laser yet since the LST isn’t implemented yet. Basically you have to just “know” where the target is and use the “ball and chain” to create a release point. It is a bit elementary but it is functional. I wish I could view a track right now, but I’m working the next 6 days.

Addendum Right now you can only conduct pre-planned attacks using waypoint releases or just knowing ahead of where the target is exactly. It will be pretty difficult do CAS missions using LGBs. The process would be very tedious because of constantly copying coordinates and creating new waypoints. The pod and Link16 will greatly reduce the workload when the time comes.

Actually you can spot the laser with a laser maverick.

Well, then what did DCS mean by telling us, we got the LGBs this update? We had them before this last update...at least we could use them as FF bombs with CCIP....what new feature did we supposedly get with this last update that was new for the LGBs? And when I say this, I mean that I have not seen any LGB try to correct for precise impact...they are still all freefall bombs

Last edited by Alphamale; 12-21-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:07 PM   #27
Daz85UK

Quote:
Okay. What altitude are you releasing at? Are you giving the bomb enough time to acquire and adjust? What’s the waypoint elevation? What’s the target elevation? Sorry for questions. Viewing a track would be much easier.

Ive dropped from multiple altitudes from 5000ft to 15000ft. 9/10 it still doesnt acquire a laser.
WP elvation 33ft TGT Elevation 33ft. Surely WP elev and tgt elev shouldn't matter on a lased target anyway?
Daz85UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:47 PM   #28
Tj1376

Quote:
These were not thin-skinned vehicles and it would seem more logical to protect the pilot with lasing and releasing from a higher altitude than diving in on the targets with a less than pinpoint accurate system such as guns, but regardless, the ammo selected in the ME for this JTAC to call for was Guided Bombs and that's what he should do...we simply need the TGP to use the lasing system correctly...at least in single player...in MP you can probably use the AV8B or the AC10 to buddy-lase for you until we get the pod

Two threads were merged and you lost the context of the thread our convo got merged into. In the OP second thread post, he clearly stated (and added a miz file) of a mission of thin skinned vehicles. When he changed the vehicles to tanks JTAC asked for bombs.

The point still stands- this appears to be working as designed as it makes more sense operationally to use guns on a thin skinned vehicle than to ask for gbus. Run out of gun ammo and the jtac asks for bombs. Change the target to something with armor and the jtac asks for bombs.

TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tj1376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:56 PM   #29
DeathAngel1

In my opinion, its better to wait for ATFLIR. Until then, LGBs with JTAC lasing will have limited capabilities.
DeathAngel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:03 PM   #30
Eagle7907

Default How do I use LGBs?

Quote:
Well, then what did DCS mean by telling us, we got the LGBs this update? We had them before this last update...at least we could use them as FF bombs with CCIP....what new feature did we supposedly get with this last update that was new for the LGBs? And when I say this, I mean that I have not seen any LGB try to correct for precise impact...they are still all freefall bombs

Well mate, I honestly don’t have an answer for you. I’ve checked the obvious things that I can at the moment that may have been looked over. I have used them since yesterdays update and they guide perfectly (both using waypoint release and HUD) to target laser by JTAC. You’re using 2.5.4 open beta? Not stable?

Last edited by Eagle7907; 12-21-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Eagle7907 is offline   Reply With Quote