How do I use LGBs?

DeathAngel1

The real way is of course, making the waypoint from the jtac instructions. I'm just too lazy, but I'll give it a go one day :)

Now when you say "making the waypoint from the JTAC instructions" why would the pilot have to input numbers at all? Shouldn't that be entered by the lasing platform, or at the very least, sent to the pilot's ordinance computer so there's no misunderstanding from audible remarks?

Another good video and he posted his mission to use . . the more Missions you acquire the more you learn on how they are created by others . . that was my learning curve.

i7-7700K 4.20Ghz | GeForce GTX 1080Ti DUKE | ASUS Maximus IX Hero Z270 | Samsung 960 | Corsair CPU Cooler | G.SKILL 32GB | Oculus VR Rift | Saitek PRO Pedals & TM HOTAS Warthog Throttle & Joystick |

Now when you say "making the waypoint from the JTAC instructions" why would the pilot have to input numbers at all? Shouldn't that be entered by the lasing platform, or at the very least, sent to the pilot's ordinance computer so there's no misunderstanding from audible remarks?

I believe in a real tactile employment you’d always enter the numbers. It’s a check and balance system. FAC reads coordinates, you input them. Slew pod to coordinates. Verify target. Target lazed. Verify the laser spot is the target discussed in the nine line, which matches the coordinates input.

I believe the idea is to then give the pilot the ability to double check the FACs work and make sure everyone is talking about the same target. Less chance for folks to drop ordinance on the wrong grey Toyota. Or wrong white square house.

Even in the a10c this same methodology is followed, even if the FAC just electronically pushed the target to the a10. I don’t honestly know if our early lot 20 f18 has that same capability.

The piece that I still think you think is missing is the tpod (called atflir.)Without it, you’re not putting a laser spot on the hud. You’re not getting a designate diamond on the hud. You’re not verifying your target. And you’re not getting CCRP guidance. That makes the employment of GBUs on the f18 tedious at best and to your point, not much different than a CCIP mark 82. However, I do have some awesome 25k feet 14-16 mile gbu tosses that strike their target- that’s something you can’t easily do with a mark 82.

TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do I use LGBs?

Another good video and he posted his mission to use . . the more Missions you acquire the more you learn on how they are created by others . . that was my learning curve.

I haven’t downloaded the file, but from the first ten seconds of the video clip he appears to be using a predator to laze. We’ve already proven that the predator does work type2- it’s the other type 2 capable ground units that seem to have lost their ability to laze causing the confusion.

Edit: I’ve now watched the entire video. Predator to laze and he does a true ccip delivery of the gbu onto the target (he puts the ccip pipper over the target and pickles.) It could have been mark 82s and he would have hit that target.

TJ

Edited by Tj1376

I believe in a real tactile employment you’d always enter the numbers. It’s a check and balance system. FAC reads coordinates, you input them. Slew pod to coordinates. Verify target. Target lazed. Verify the laser spot is the target discussed in the nine line, which matches the coordinates input.

I believe the idea is to then give the pilot the ability to double check the FACs work and make sure everyone is talking about the same target. Less chance for folks to drop ordinance on the wrong grey Toyota. Or wrong white square house.

Even in the a10c this same methodology is followed, even if the FAC just electronically pushed the target to the a10. I don’t honestly know if our early lot 20 f18 has that same capability.

The piece that I still think you think is missing is the tpod (called atflir.)Without it, you’re not putting a laser spot on the hud. You’re not getting a designate diamond on the hud. You’re not verifying your target. And you’re not getting CCRP guidance. That makes the employment of GBUs on the f18 tedious at best and to your point, not much different than a CCIP mark 82. However, I do have some awesome 25k feet 14-16 mile gbu tosses that strike their target- that’s something you can’t easily do with a mark 82.

TJ

Ok, so you're saying we can see the "guidance" part of this, more with Lofting than with a straight flyover? Is that correct? Is there a true LOFT mode on the F18 with pull up indicator and release bar? Like the Tornado?

Edited by Alphamale

Ok, so you're saying we can see the "guidance" part of this, more with Lofting than with a straight flyover? Is that correct? Is there a true LOFT mode on the F18 with pull up indicator and release bar? Like the Tornado?

Negative. I’m learning the f18 too, but as of this moment I am unaware of ANY guidance for a guided bomb drop. It will come when we pickup atflir but as of now, gbus are employed with a “best guess” of how to drop.

TJ

Negative. I’m learning the f18 too, but as of this moment I am unaware of ANY guidance for a guided bomb drop. It will come when we pickup atflir but as of now, gbus are employed with a “best guess” of how to drop.

TJ

That's my experience of it too. The test scenario I had involved using a Predator as FAC and then flying in the rough direction of the target and releasing when I guesstimated it'd be about close enough for the bombs to reach. Run this same scenario numerous times now with all the GBU variants and my hit rate is pretty much 100%.

104th guys are killing it by using a maverick as laser locator :)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, well then for now, I'll just let the LGBs "age" a bit

This employment isnt perfect by any stretch of the imagination. And to be right honest, I imagine that the real employment wouldnt work this way (you'll notice I dont designate the waypoint as my target (on purpose, I DO NOT want guidance and the restrictions that come from that guidance) - however, as you can see its really effective to "toss" the GBU at 13-16 miles out and let the laser do the rest. And yes, you'll notice that after the first four bombs come off I forgot to update the laser code to 1688 for the rest of the bombs so one misses.

Folder with Track and Mission

Yes- I opted to use CTLD for the lazing as I grew quite irritated at the limitations of the DCS JTAC, as well as how slow it took to employ - that JTAC is still present though (invincible, invisible drone flying over head), so feel free to use it if you prefer that approach. He is on 264 which is set as radio 1 comm 1.

TJ

This employment isnt perfect by any stretch of the imagination. And to be right honest, I imagine that the real employment wouldnt work this way (you'll notice I dont designate the waypoint as my target (on purpose, I DO NOT want guidance and the restrictions that come from that guidance) - however, as you can see its really effective to "toss" the GBU at 13-16 miles out and let the laser do the rest. And yes, you'll notice that after the first four bombs come off I forgot to update the laser code to 1688 for the rest of the bombs so one misses.

Folder with Track and Mission

Yes- I opted to use CTLD for the lazing as I grew quite irritated at the limitations of the DCS JTAC, as well as how slow it took to employ - that JTAC is still present though (invincible, invisible drone flying over head), so feel free to use it if you prefer that approach. He is on 264 which is set as radio 1 comm 1.

TJ

Hey, thanks TJ :)

It should be the same thing. You select wypt then select wypt 1. Then when you press weapon designate, all you’re doing is slaving the weapons/release parameters to that waypoint. You can do this with any waypoint.

Hint: that’s why you should be careful when setting altitudes in the ME for each waypoint. You will unintentionally put your waypoint in the air. And yes the hornet will release accordingly to have the bomb go through that midair waypoint. That’s why it is imperative to check the waypoint elevation when using waypoint/weapon designate. You can fix it in game through waypoint manipulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aah that makes sense, thanks!

Spoiler

Modules: FC3, KA-50, MIG-21, F-18, F-14, UH-1H, Spitfire, F-5E, A-10c II, A-4E, SC, F-16, CA, M2000c, BF-109K-4, Mi-24P

Terrains:Nevada, Persian gulf, Normandy + Asset pack, Syria

PC setup:I7 8700k, 32g ram, m2 ssd, gtx 1080ti, Warthog TM, MFG crosswind, Playseat Air Force, Reverb G2

• 7 months later...

I solved the GBU issue for me and i think i found a bug, but probalby its already known. I couldnt hit anything with the GBU12 with JTAC lasing a truck. The bomb just did a free fall not picking up the laser. The solution came when i used the laser guided maverick. I found out that the JTAC was not lasing the truck set in Mission Editor (watch the screenshot). I set the JTAC to lase the first truck in the column, on the top of the cross if you want, i always threw my gbu there and it found nothing. Indeed the Jtac was lasing the last truck, visible in the green circle. I dont know how it is with a single target but in this case the JTAC just picked the opposite end of the column for some reason. Any explanations? Do i miss something? You can clearly see that the laser is set to the first upper truck.

fm3ywd6k.jpg

• 2 months later...
I solved the GBU issue for me and i think i found a bug, but probalby its already known. I couldnt hit anything with the GBU12 with JTAC lasing a truck. The bomb just did a free fall not picking up the laser. The solution came when i used the laser guided maverick. I found out that the JTAC was not lasing the truck set in Mission Editor (watch the screenshot). I set the JTAC to lase the first truck in the column, on the top of the cross if you want, i always threw my gbu there and it found nothing. Indeed the Jtac was lasing the last truck, visible in the green circle. I dont know how it is with a single target but in this case the JTAC just picked the opposite end of the column for some reason. Any explanations? Do i miss something? You can clearly see that the laser is set to the first upper truck.

fm3ywd6k.jpg

I know this question was a while ago but I’m also getting to grips with Laser guided bombs now, when I’m not using the litening pod, how do I know that the bomb can see the laser?

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

There's no sure-fire way to knowing if the LGB picked up the laser or not without spectating the bomb and watching to see if it goes to bang-bang guidance. Otherwise it's pickle and pray.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

I know this question was a while ago but I’m also getting to grips with Laser guided bombs now, when I’m not using the litening pod, how do I know that the bomb can see the laser?
There's no indicator for that. Make sure that you release the bomb following a good profile and that your target won't be obscured by anything for as long as you need to lase it.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro