MISSING TRACK FILE] Hornet Radar Jumping Scale? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-28-2019, 04:38 PM   #1
Steve Gee

Question MISSING TRACK FILE] Hornet Radar Jumping Scale?

Lately, after engaging a target, if I try to lock another target on, say a 2B/40km sweep, the radar scale will jump to 80 or even 160 if there are other targets along that axis.

I won't even see another target on the radar scope except the one I'm going to lock and then, all of a sudden, the radar will change to a further out scale, such as 80, locking another target MUCH farther past my intended one. It's only AFTER I've engaged a previous target that this happens.

Is there some radar change/setting I'm missing, as it didn't do that before?
Old 10-28-2019, 04:43 PM   #2
Preendog

Currently STT is not range gated. It just locks the first thing it sees when you press the button and the antennae goes woogity.

Correct behavior is to only lock what you have the cursor over. It's been reported before, don't know if there's any progress.
Preendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:28 PM   #3
Evovcui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preendog View Post
Currently STT is not range gated. It just locks the first thing it sees when you press the button and the antennae goes woogity.

Correct behavior is to only lock what you have the cursor over. It's been reported before, don't know if there's any progress.
Hope to see some progress on this in addition to TWS. Now stt without range gate is painful to use when against mutiple targets.
Evovcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:36 AM   #4
Arctander

I also have seen this. It’s pretty clear to me that this behaviour started after the Viper dropped as before if it couldn’t get a lock on a target on the radar (most likely as a donor track and the radar elevation was off) the lock would just fail.

Now - it jumps to whatever is next along that bearing... and when that happens to be the enemy awacs 80nm away when in a 20nm fight in MP it feels bad, m’kay.

Last edited by Arctander; 11-04-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Arctander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:49 PM   #5
Antonius

That could be because the contact you're trying to lock on is not currently reflected by your own radar, but a datalink contact sent from another donor. Basically, it's not a radar contact, otherwise you could just click on it for an instant lock. That could be because the enemy is not inside your radar scan area, since you're using 2B sweep. This is why I prefer 4B with a 80 degree horizontal arc. Also, you say that it happens right after you engage a target, so I take it that the new target you're trying to lock is quite close. The closer you are to a target, the smaller is your radar scan area.

Instead, since there's "nothing there" for your radar, it starts searching for possible contacts in a tight arc while still using the 2B sweep. It will lock into the first contact it finds no matter the range, but it won't find the enemy plane in the first place if it's still outside the 2B sweep cone.

This is why I often use the Situational Awareness page to check the altitude of datalink contacts, it allows me to set the correct radar elevation when trying to get a lock. It's especially useful when the contact is really close, because the radar is almost useless at that range without the ACM on. You can use the "step" button in SA to lock the SA slew to a target, so that you can always see the contact's altitude at a glance.
Antonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:17 PM   #6
Arctander

Agreed - I use the SA page for that purpose - but even then I find the performance of the radar even with the scan elevation correctly set very lacklustre.

There's also it seems a gap between BVR and the ACM modes becoming useful...
Arctander is offline   Reply With Quote