Why are we getting Datalink of this is a Block I? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-07-2019, 10:09 PM   #1
Kocrachon

Default Why are we getting Datalink of this is a Block I?

https://militarywatchmagazine.com/ar...e-capabilities

Quote:
The fighter lacks the data link and air to air refuelling capacity or the enhanced avionics, payload and electronic warfare systems of the later Block II variants, but are less costly than their successors which entered production in December 2013. Fifty JF-17 Block I fighters were manufactured from 2007, and the aircraft are considered the least costly fourth generation fighters ever to be manufactured.
^-- Flat out says Block I did not have Datalink like Block II

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/secur...ighter.450130/

Quote:
Future versions of the China-Pakistan jointly developed FC-1 Xiaolong (also known as JF-17 Thunder) will possess advanced data link and electronic warfare capabilities, and be equipped with new-type guided weapons.
^--- Indicates that prior to 2014 (which is Block I) they did not have Datalink (Source is also from Pakistan)

https://www.theweek.in/news/world/20...r-chinese.html

Quote:
Dongxu claimed with the new upgrades, he expects the “JF-17 Block 3 to match an improved version of the F-16 fighter jet.” He added the proposed upgrades would also allow the JF-17 to share information with “other platforms”, hinting at the addition of a datalink system.
^--- Shared Datalink not till Block III it sorta sounds like? (Quote from China)

So I am confused, are we getting a Block 2 or Block 1?
Kocrachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:49 PM   #2
Hatefury

I think we need to wait to get exact details on this. It wouldn't surprise me if block 1 aircraft have been upgraded to also benefit from datalink as in the real world blocks are not as black and white as they might be in a simulation. On ED's discord the other day someone who said they were previously Blackhawk ground crew saw plenty of aircraft that had received partial upgrades.

I believe Deka have managed to get their hands on an actual JF-17 simulator (based off some of their previous Facebook images). Like it or not having a proper datalink system will increase the popularity of the aircraft and if they make it possible for server admins and mission designers to decide if you do or don't get access to datalink (assuming it is full datalink we're getting and not just the datalink used to control the C-802)

It will also make the aircraft more competitive in the DCS world that now exists where 4.5 gen aircraft have the advantage that datalink allows. Don't get me wrong there will people who make it work no matter what, like those M2000C pilots who continue to be able to dominate even if a fox 3 environment.

I'll be honest I'll be purchasing this aircraft no matter what but there are those whose purchasing decisions will be influenced by the capability of the aircraft. As someone who enjoys the player vs player I'll take every additional capability I can get thank you very much, but I won't be upset if we are simply somehow misreading the images that are being shown on the most recent tiny news post.
Hatefury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:19 AM   #3
ShadowFrost

A lot of aircraft IRL only have partial upgrades or are in progress of being upgraded ETC. I don't know what Deka will say on why they modeled it, but obviously if they could get enough data to accurately provide a simulation to a high enough quality then I dont think there should be any issue. Block I and II are very similar IIRC. And, if its something as simple as a software update, (IE all the hardware is in place) then there is no reason not to have it if they have the data.

I'd just wait and see for when Deka provide all the information like ED does when announcing a aircraft for pre-order or etc. Until then, a lot can change.
ShadowFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:22 AM   #4
Kocrachon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFrost View Post
A lot of aircraft IRL only have partial upgrades or are in progress of being upgraded ETC. I don't know what Deka will say on why they modeled it, but obviously if they could get enough data to accurately provide a simulation to a high enough quality then I dont think there should be any issue. Block I and II are very similar IIRC. And, if its something as simple as a software update, (IE all the hardware is in place) then there is no reason not to have it if they have the data.

I'd just wait and see for when Deka provide all the information like ED does when announcing a aircraft for pre-order or etc. Until then, a lot can change.
My main thing, personally, is they are using "Its Block I" as a reason for not including some things, like some weapons and no AAR. So I am hoping that if they are going the route of a Block II instead, that we can get AAR. The thing has such short legs... AAR would be greatly appreciated.
Kocrachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:12 AM   #5
ShadowFrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocrachon View Post
My main thing, personally, is they are using "Its Block I" as a reason for not including some things, like some weapons and no AAR. So I am hoping that if they are going the route of a Block II instead, that we can get AAR. The thing has such short legs... AAR would be greatly appreciated.
It actually doesn't have that short or legs, 3 tanks (max) are worth 5,000lbs of fuel and another 5,300lbs internal gets you a 1800+NM ferry range. Which is better than both the 18 and 16 but under the A-10.

F-16 (2 tanks?) 1740 NM
F/A-18C (3 tanks) 1800+NM
JF-17 (3 tanks) 1,890 NM
A-10C (?) 2,240 NM
(obviously these are all estimates from different sources)

But I agree A2A refueling would be nice but its got decent range when your not in burners and are at altitude.

IIRC, the block II vs I had very small changes to avionics/software over the block I and the most noticeable change was the addition of a refueling probe. I dont believe anything was changed weapons wise other than clearance to carry ALCMs but I dont think that is restrictive to only block II in terms of capability.

(Late thought, I think block II can carry PL-15 as it was originally planned for block III but expedited due to Pakistan's concerns and is a very recent addition) But it was said somewhere that the PL-15 was for sure not coming.
ShadowFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:06 AM   #6
-P51DMustang-

Or simply deka decide to add JF17 Blk 2 after popularity of this one but still said nothing to surprise everyone?! :p

More seriously, JF17 Blk 1 actually get a datalink system integrated as Blk 2 and Blk 1 share same Radio systems as L0op8ack said it after i ask more clearance about D/L pod and screens posted... https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...3&postcount=44
As Jf17 Blk III is still under cover developpement, and pakistani air force can use their JF side to their F16 and make them 'communicate' via datalink... I wouldn't be surprise all blocks get software update.
-P51DMustang- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:37 AM   #7
Terrorban

I for once cannot complain since datalink will really help in dcs environment. Reds could actually use a datalink compatible multi role aircraft.

TRAINED -LEARNING- UNTOUCHED
Terrorban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:02 PM   #8
rinao0o

I'd like to add that you shouldn't worry too much about simulation accuracy since Deka is creating the module with help from jf-17's manufacturers, they have access to various exclusive documents including a real cockpit simulator. This practically eliminates all the guessing games and we can expect DCS JF17 to delivery a highly accurate representation of the real thing.

Last edited by rinao0o; 08-09-2019 at 02:28 PM.
rinao0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:12 PM   #9
-P51DMustang-

Quote:
And to answer your question the data-link capabilities afaik is provided by an external pod.
Nope sir... D/L pod is oonnnnnnnly for C-802AKG man in the loop control as stated by L0op8ack in this post.
https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...3&postcount=44

Apparently, from deeper research, it appear Block 2 and Block 1 share same systems and radiocoms, so datalink was just a software update to provide Jf17 Blk 1 a proper datalink, kinda like L16...
And as Terrorban said it, can't complain from getting datalink since it will be very usefull and welcome against F16 and F18. (Btw i wonder if ED will make pakistani livery for F16 so we can get F16 + Jf17 VS F16, F18, F14, M2000C... :p
-P51DMustang- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #10
rinao0o

Quote:
Originally Posted by -P51DMustang- View Post
Nope sir... D/L pod is oonnnnnnnly for C-802AKG man in the loop control as stated by L0op8ack in this post.
https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...3&postcount=44
Thanks for the clarification
rinao0o is offline   Reply With Quote