DCS budget build recommendations

Overclocking is irrelevant to DCS. So, don't do like I did and get a 2600 and hope you can overclock it to 2600X levels, doesn't work that way with Ryzen. Not for single core performance.

Also keep in mind Ryzen has increased number of instructions per cycle, from what I can tell the 3600 should boost to the Intel equivalent of 4.5 and the 3600X, to 4.8 or so.

I don't want to leave anything on the table in terms of single core performance and take some consolation that I saved some money on motherboard and cooler. (And spent it all, and then some, on RAM)

You did simplify it too much, it ain't like that with neither Ryzen, I run a few of them, I sold a few more and all do overclock to some extend, which does matter in IPC, and thus also for DCS's sustained performance. Your chances are higher to get more out of a 3600x vs. a 3600, but it may only be a few percent, maybe none, maybe even less, it's still some lottery gambling involved and it does matter how you can cool that CPU, AIR, AIO or DIY-Loop. I would not say OC is irrelevant for DCS, more MHz is more IPC, direct proportional.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

You did simplify it too much, it ain't like that with neither Ryzen, I run a few of them, I sold a few more and all do overclock to some extend, which does matter in IPC, and thus also for DCS's sustained performance. Your chances are higher to get more out of a 3600x vs. a 3600, but it may only be a few percent, maybe none, maybe even less, it's still some lottery gambling involved and it does matter how you can cool that CPU, AIR, AIO or DIY-Loop. I would not say OC is irrelevant for DCS, more MHz is more IPC, direct proportional.

Overclocking definitely helps multicore performance, at the expense of single core performance. Which is the opposite of what you want with DCS. By design. https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/ryzen-7-3700x-overclocking-benchmarks-performance

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Overclocking definitely helps multicore performance, at the expense of single core performance. Which is the opposite of what you want with DCS. By design. https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/ryzen-7-3700x-overclocking-benchmarks-performance

I see you're running a 3600X and Rift S . Are you happy with your CPU choice ? I'm considering a 3600X build for VR .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

PBO and PBO2 have their advantages for single core performance in short duration loads. If your cooling is good or even better and if you got a good chip manual overclocking can achieve the same or even more but then for all cores.

The thing with PBO and PBO2 is you dont know what they do at any given time, it's like Heisenbergs Unschärferelation, but manual overclocking gives you certainty on how much and precisely when.

I do admit, I would try PBO first as well and see how it goes, but I would not rule out overclocking.

I dont game on any of those Ryzen, mine are office machines tho they are on gamer boards and fast RAM and the ones that game I dont own but have sold and those guys dont oc, they play stock.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I see you're running a 3600X and Rift S . Are you happy with your CPU choice ? I'm considering a 3600X build for VR .

OK I guess, I still get stuttering on some MP servers. Just spent $300 on RAM trying to iron that out.

I didn't set out to do an amd build, I was using Ryzen for CPU mining and just kept upgrading my rig one piece at a time. AMD is good that way. Building from scratch? I dunno.

It's all about marginal cost. For me, the marginal cost of going with intel at this point would be a couple thousand bucks I guess. Highly doubt that would be worth it. But for a new build, the marginal cost might be only a couple hundred (if that) -- if it's that close I might have gone with Intel

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

PBO and PBO2 have their advantages for single core performance in short duration loads. If your cooling is good or even better and if you got a good chip manual overclocking can achieve the same or even more but then for all cores.

The thing with PBO and PBO2 is you dont know what they do at any given time, it's like Heisenbergs Unschärferelation, but manual overclocking gives you certainty on how much and precisely when.

That's not the point (assuming there was one, that all went over my head, no doubt intentionally). One reasonable point might be, "3600 is so close to 3600X it's not worth spending the extra $50." Another reasonable point might be "you're way better off spending the extra $50 and take whatever AMD will give you, rather than spend $80 on a water cooler and $800 on a mobo and still wind up with much the same results." Both of those assertions are reasonable. Any talk of overclocking any Ryzen hoping to come out ahead in single core performance is not.

See https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-3600-review,6287-11.html, see https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-5-3600-review,26.html, see https://www.techspot.com/news/80912-amd-ryzen-3000-overclocking-youre-not-going-see.html

But DCS and it's surrounding apps use more than one core. The more you add around it the less likely that 1 core can boost I guess. As I said, mine only work in office, not in DCS. It's a 1600x and a 2600 with Asus Prime boards and 16GB Ram, 2666mhz for the 1600x and 3200mhz for the 2600.

For me, what matters most were the security flaws not present and the ease of running and maintaining them, simpler than Intel systems I have to say.

If You don't overclock the Ryzen then it's going to be wAy down the table as far as performance goes. Max overclock I think is around 4.2 GHz which puts it midway up the table when compared to the current budget/midrange CPU's. DCS is not optimized for multiple threads and therefore there is very little advantage in having a lot of cores (Ryzen) Single-core performance is where it's at with DCS and the Ryzen you are thinking of does not fare well in this category when compared to unlocked i5 processors, it is cheap though... As far as the XFX Radeon RX 570 RS goes, again it's a budget card which would be regarded as low end in the flight sim world, this is pure guesswork but I suspect your proposed new rig will be OK (Ish) if your playing at 1080 and settings on medium with a few tweaks, anything more than that and your going to struggle. I would be interested how it does actually perform though so please post back to this thread when it's built.. ;)

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

i have almost the same rig you have. Asus b450 mobo supports 3200MHZ ram I have 16gb 3000MHZ RAM. would I notice much difference if I were to swap out the 3000 with 3200? can they be used together?

I should have done a little more homework. my Ryzen 6 core has native speed 3.4GHZ OVERCLOCKED TO 3.9 Very satisfied with it so far but I'm buying an 8GB AMD card. currently I have 4gb Radeon wor station card It was the best bang for the buck at the time

. im getting XFX Radeon RX 570 RS XXX Edition 1286MHz, 8gb GDDR5, DX12 VR Ready, Dual BIOS, 3xDP HDMI DVI, AMD Graphics Card (RX-570P8DFD6) when I get paid. initially, this build was 650-700$. not bad. using 43" ROKU TV as my display. anybody wants to buy my Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit - Black? almost new like 4 mnths old....

i have almost the same rig you have. Asus b450 mobo supports 3200MHZ ram I have 16gb 3000MHZ RAM. would I notice much difference if I were to swap out the 3000 with 3200? can they be used together?

I should have done a little more homework. my Ryzen 6 core has native speed 3.4GHZ OVERCLOCKED TO 3.9 Very satisfied with it so far but I'm buying an 8GB AMD card. currently I have 4gb Radeon wor station card It was the best bang for the buck at the time

Doubt it. Open question whether 32gb of RAM is worth having. I spend a fair amount of time on busy MP servers, and moreover have a lot of stuff open while flying. Discord, SRS, browsers. I upgraded, unclear if it's doing much yet.

I don't know that VRAM directly affects DCS performance, TMU count probably more important for AMD at least. NVIDIA strikes me as way more efficient for flight sims in general, dollar for dollar. If you love or need AMD, Vega is worth a look, punches above its class here, keeps up with 1080 which is enough I guess. 56 runs cooler than 64 and they are surprisingly close in performance, still more than a 570 and may be overkill for pancake mode. If I didn't already have a vega I would have gone with nvidia, 2070 super looks good for VR, maybe 1060 in your price range?

There are at least a dozen, likely double that, of Pilots stating that upgrading from 16 to 32GB cured their stutter they were having. It also depends a lot on which module you fly and busy servers are not alike. Those with lots of scripts and other stuff likely tax a system more than a WWII server w/o any of those and a lot of AC only. But many also say they do fine with 16GB, YMMV greatly here.

Finished my build a couple weeks ago. It's been running DCS really well so far. Hell of a learning curve with this game! My track IR goes wonky when I lay headset down at times. Other than that its been great. Ended up not sticking as close to the budget as I had planned though. Oh well. The PC is working great.

Mobo: MSI Tomahawk

CPU: Ryzen 2600X

Ram: G Skill Flare 3200 32gb (8 x 4) its overclocked a bit to cl14

GPU: RX590 Nitro+

SSD: XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe

Hi!!! Just one question...

How many FPS can you achieve with this configuration?

What are your graphic settings??

Thanks

Hi!!! Just one question...

How many FPS can you achieve with this configuration?

What are your graphic settings??

Thanks

I'm not sure what the frame rate is. I've never checked. Looks great through. I'm running the preset high setting at 1080p. If I crank all the setting wayyy up passed the preset it can start to act up with brief black screen flashes. I've been very happy with the build so far.